• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

ffdgh

I just hope the cycles arent imbalanced compared to the karts. Maybe they should've made specific cycle circuits? I remember there being something about cycles and constant wheelies dusting everyone.

They removed wheelies. Bikes are essentially karts now.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I just hope the cycles arent imbalanced compared to the karts. Maybe they should've made specific cycle circuits? I remember there being something about cycles and constant wheelies dusting everyone.

I think the speed test was done to reassure us about balance

Yeah Mario Kart 8 has blown all that away.

EDIT: Man I hope SNES Mario circuit is in as a retro stage. That music is just so catchy.

The gamepad has a built in microphone right? Or would this finally be the day when I get to use that turtle beach headset again? Havent used it since Monster Hunter 3 U.

yeah it does, I don't know about the quality though.

-Horizon-

Not sure if these images were posted sooo....
01courserainbowroad1jpg-a29e2f.jpg

02koopa2jpg-9aacc7.jpg

04babyrosetta1jpg-9aacc9.jpg

03waluigi1jpg-9aacc8.jpg

05pgoldpeachjpg-a29e30.jpg

07item8jpg-9aaccb.jpg

08courserainbowroad3jpg-a29e31.jpg

09mario2jpg-9aaccc.jpg

11wariojpg-9aaccd.jpg

Umph, this game looks so good.

DaBoss

Looking at the Rainbow Road video on the UK site, it seems pretty lackluster, the music included (well the guitar part is what is bothering me). The floating objects and its visuals look really nice and cool, but it doesn't seem like there is much happening there.

Now looking at the N64 Rainbow Road remake, that looks far better and is really interesting and has nice music.

Pociask

Pluses - graphics, courses, music. 30 characters!
Minuses - Battle Mode not a return to the glory days of Double Dash, and looks to not even have arenas. Of the 30 characters, 1 is a Mii, 2 are metallic skins, 5 are babies, and 7 are Koopalings. So at least 8, and depending on how you feel about the Koopalings, up to 15 (half!) of the roster is lame filler.

It's still Mario Kart, so we know it will be an amazing game. It will be interesting to see how it stands up to past Mario Karts.

Teknoman

Custom day tournaments?!

Mario Kart online menu music has always been the best. And a Nintendo game with Youtube functionality?

Nintendo really went all out!

Google accounts better not get in the way my uploads...they still havent mastered managing multiple accounts.

That Mario Kart 8 main theme though, good lord. Thats some late 90s Sega caliber stuff. They even mixed in the SNES theme?

/dead.

Mory Dunz

I had no idea people actually played the Battle Mode. This thread has been an eye opener. I haven't really played it since 64.

Super Circuit memories am cry.

Online sounds legit.

That kart customization girl was hilarious.

Game looks amazing.

Neiteio

Pluses - graphics, courses, music. 30 characters!
Minuses - Battle Mode not a return to the glory days of Double Dash, and looks to not even have arenas. Of the 30 characters, 1 is a Mii, 2 are metallic skins, 5 are babies, and 7 are Koopalings. So at least 8, and depending on how you feel about the Koopalings, up to 15 (half!) of the roster is lame filler.

It's still Mario Kart, so we know it will be an amazing game. It will be interesting to see how it stands up to past Mario Karts.
The roster could consist of just the seven Koopalings and it'd still be the best roster ever. Those Koopalings mark the first time I've been excited about the playable characters in a Mario Kart game, or possibly any Mario spinoff. I'm ecstatic about their inclusion, and they more than make up for the questionable omissions (no Diddy, Birdo, etc).

Unicorn

I had no idea people actually played the Battle Mode. This thread has been an eye opener. I haven't really played it since 64.

Online sounds legit.

Game looks amazing.
I know. Just further confirms they don't want battle arenas.

Also, why no DD 2 driver mode?!

MicH

Online sounds legit.

Game looks amazing.
I loved Battle mode in MK64, but it was never the sane after that :/

Pociask

The roster could consist of just the seven Koopalings and it'd still be the best roster ever. Those Koopalings mark the first time I've been excited about the playable characters in a Mario Kart game, or possibly any Mario spinoff. I'm ecstatic about their inclusion, and they more than make up for the questionable omissions (no Diddy, Birdo, etc).

Hahaha, I know they have their fans. I just think it's odd when you've got lots of other characters that fans like who don't get in, but all 7 Koopalings get in at once (and I'll repeat my lament that we can't have driver-specific karts again, as neat as unlockable options are, so that all 7 could pile into one vehicle).

Teknoman

This soundtrack needs to be a Club Nintendo worldwide prize.

The promo kinda sucks for North America though. Dont want Wii Party U, and i'm sure the majority of people with WiiU already have the other 3 games.

BM8

Neo Member
I think Mount Wario deserves some more love. Its so unique with its variety, and it is one single lap all the way down the mountain. I can see it being one of my favorites for these reasons.

edit: Wait a second...if all the characters are revealed, then who will be the unlocks? Gold peach, mii, baby Rosalina?

BowieZ

Banned
I think Mount Wario deserves some more love. Its so unique with its variety, and it is one single lap all the way down the mountain. I can see it being one of my favorites for these reasons.
People will get around to it. There's just so much other stuff to take in.

But yeah at this point Mount Wario looks to be the greatest MK track of all time.

Mory Dunz

My guess is, they want to increase the number of female players without having to do much, or make up completely new people.

(However Nintendo, you do have Mario RPGs with characters, not that you'll acknowledge them.)

So is there Classic Controller Pro support? I have at least 1-2 Wii Remotes and a Pro, the Wii U comes with the game pad so I'll have 4 controllers, but I don't want to have to buy a Pro Controller to be able to play comfortably with friends.

Mory Dunz

Sherbet Land GCN is a little disappointing to be honest. Both the fact that it was selected and its implementation.

Going underground is nice though.

Gotta hurry and watch all these before Chelsea.

Teknoman

I just watched Mount Wario.

It might be the most fun looking stage for me.

Really diverse too! Those violins for those steep downhill battles, going to be crazy.

Cloudtop cruise sounds like a Star Fox Mario crossover.

EDIT: Oh thats why, its Galaxy.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Bump boosting seems interesting, but I await impressions on how improved the core racing is in this sequel. MK has long been pretty hectic with the item abuse and wide courses, making the actual racing and course negotiation feel really limp. Hope for the best this time around, but I'm not sold yet.

The NA freebie selection is good for new Wii U owners, but terrible for us early adopters.

Top Bottom