• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

Teknoman

Bone Dry Dunes would've been perfect for a platformer desert stage theme.

EDIT: They need to use Bowser's Castle theme for his main theme next platformer. Reminds me of Potemkin's theme from Guilty Gear X.

Mory Dunz

Bump boosting seems interesting, but I await impressions on how improved the core racing is in this sequel. MK has long been pretty hectic with the item abuse and wide courses, making the actual racing and course negotiation feel really limp. Hope for the best this time around, but I'm not sold yet.

The NA freebie selection is good for new Wii U owners, but terrible for us early adopters.

I can sort of agree. But whenever we've played, the best player ends up winning most of the time, despite whatever items.

I don't own a 3DS so melody motorway looks really cool to me. Don't know if I saw any anti gravity stuff though. The stage is really creative, outside the box.

EDIT:
Remix of Yoshi's Valley sounds good.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The new Bowser's Castle is glorious, but the new Rainbow Road is surprisingly underwhelming. I do appreciate the unique space-station setting, and I dig the Blooper starship in the background, but the rainbow colors of the track are so mild, and the presentation in general (lighting, particle effects, etc) is weak next to some of the other tracks. Ah well.
The rainbow colors are mild because the track is made of the stylized solar panels of the station. The zoomed-out cameras of the track are OMFG good.

Teknoman

Hey Mario Circuit classic is from Super Circuit!

EDIT: Still stuck on the fact that the Mushroom Kingdom has a space agency lol.

BM8

Neo Member
Bump boosting seems interesting, but I await impressions on how improved the core racing is in this sequel. MK has long been pretty hectic with the item abuse and wide courses, making the actual racing and course negotiation feel really limp. Hope for the best this time around, but I'm not sold yet.

The NA freebie selection is good for new Wii U owners, but terrible for us early adopters.

This should ease your worries...

http://www.gamesradar.com/9-changes-make-mario-kart-8-most-demanding-years/

Insaniac

I just hope the cycles arent imbalanced compared to the karts. Maybe they should've made specific cycle circuits? I remember there being something about cycles and constant wheelies dusting everyone.

There was section talking about how they balanced them out.

Also, that MUSIC

nordique

That direct had its moments, was more entertaining than the normal bland ones

Two things stuck out for me:

1) Wow, That music. Amazing.

2) those graphics just don't stop looking gorgeous

RagnarokX

Sherbet Land GCN is a little disappointing to be honest. Both the fact that it was selected and its implementation.

Going underground is nice though.

Gotta hurry and watch all these before Chelsea.

Huh? But the changed it so that it's actually interesting now. Put holes in the ice you can fall through for underwater sections and multiple routes through the ice cave(s).

Mory Dunz

I like it. Especially how it's a nightime track. So atmospheric.

The actual racing though...hmm..not sure.
But this is probably due to me liking other ice stages better than it originally.

You know what would've been cool? Daisy's Cruiser GCN.

mreddie

I noticed the UK and US versions of the Direct almost have different voice overs. UK has a Jeremy Clarkson sound alike.

Hindl

The actual racing though...hmm..not sure.
But this is probably due to me liking other ice stages better than it originally.

You know what would've been cool? Daisy's Cruiser GCN.

I thought it was cool that the hole has been expanded into an alternate route, I thought that was an awesome update

Berordn

Oh, nvm then.
How did they change it?

You can go on either side of the ship right after the staring line instead of just sticking to the right side, the pool isn't a water hazard anymore and you can just drive through it, and the area you can drop down into after the ballroom is an aquarium instead of just a cargo hold.

It's mostly the same, though. Here's a video if you want to see for yourself.

The EU Direct is better, btw.

I'm watching it right now and not a chance
2095c354.gif

With all this info and trailers and whatnot, I hope there's still some surprises left before it comes out. The fact that every track has a trailer feels weird to me.

LuuKyK

More Peach and more Rosalina is always a good thing, but I am kinda bummed Diddy and Birdo are not in the game. :(

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Game looks absolutely incredible, I must have it.

Very disappointed in the bundle price though, if they included a Wii U Pro controller instead of the wheel and Motion + I might consider it but even then I still think it should be a little cheaper. Im really hoping Nintendo announces a Wii U price drop at E3.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Game looks absolutely incredible, I must have it.

Very disappointed in the bundle price though, if they included a Wii U Pro controller instead of the wheel and Motion + I might consider it but even then I still think it should be a little cheaper. Im really hoping Nintendo announces a Wii U price drop at E3.

Console, gamepad, game, remote plus, and a free game that will also almost give you enough points for a five bucks eshop discount..

Looking at prices for each stuff is a very good bundle

nikos

Presentation was sort of cringeworthy, and somewhat boring, but the game looks pretty good. I already know some of its mechanics (and items) will frustrate me, but that's Mario Kart. Will probably day one it with Wind Waker HD.

Top Bottom