• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

Kinsei

Banned
I think Baby Rosalina looks adorable. She'll probably be one of my mains, but I kinda wish that if they were going to add a new baby, it was one that was actually in a Mario game like DK, Wario, or Bowser.

On a real note though: I never realized roster was this important for people in Mario Kart. I guess it's cause I've pretty much exclusively used Peach / Luigi for Mario Kart (except Dry Bones in MKDS) But, the inclusion/exclusion of certain characters have never really bothered me to any extent

How would you feel if Peach and Luigi were cut and Fire Flower Mario was added? That's how I'm guessing people who don't like the new roster are feeling.

freakzilla3000

I didn't like this direct's format at all. It was trying WAAAAYY too hard to be funny without even almost succeeding.

Nintendo has really been forcing Rosalina down our throats recently and Pink Gold Peach a really weird (stupid weird, not good weird) choice.

I'm still hyped about the game, but if Nintendo ever does another Direct like this, I won't be watching it.

Really.... I didn't mind it at all. It felt a bit refreshing and it was nice to see Nintendo poking fun at themselves a little bit...

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I didn't like this direct's format at all. It was trying WAAAAYY too hard to be funny without even almost succeeding.

Nintendo has really been forcing Rosalina down our throats recently and Pink Gold Peach a really weird (stupid weird, not good weird) choice.

I'm still hyped about the game, but if Nintendo ever does another Direct like this, I won't be watching it.
I like Rosalina being forced down my throat; she's a great addition to the Mario universe and deserves to be in all future Mario spinoffs.

Now that I think about Baby Rosalina, I am actually really excited since lightweights were much better in 7 and Rosalina is a heavy.

AdanVC

Holy shhh-

I feel all hyped up, dayum.

This part seriously give me the chills!! I'm so glad the talented musicians at Nintendo are being recognized more and more since the awesome Super Mario 3D World soundtrack. At this pace I'm start to believe MK8's soundtrack would sound even better than SM3DW's omg!

Berordn

I sincerely hope there are more unlockable characters, I miss Diddy already.

It really seems unlikely. 30 characters is 4 more than the 26 in Mario Kart Wii (if you count the Mii's two outfits as separate characters) and it's pretty likely that like MK7 before it, many of the new characters they're showing off will be unlockable.

...on the other hand, it's pretty weird that we've got a course inspired by Dry Bowser and Dry Bones but they're nowhere to be seen.

I hope 30 is just like the default roster and there will be some more unlockable characters. Although 30 is pretty damn huge already.

I wonder how differently the Koopa kids play.

So am I reading this right?

If I buy the retail version of MK8 and register it with Club Nintendo, I get a free download of Pikmin 3 for the Wii U?

If so, there's no reason not to buy this game if you have a WiiU.

The tracks and track design look great, but I'll echo that the roster is a bit disappointing. I feel like we need a few off-the-wall characters to mix things up. I want more weird side characters that we'd never get to use otherwise, like the past choices of Birdo, Dry Bones, Petey Piranha, Wiggler, or Funky Kong. The Koopalings are a nice choice, but they're very similar. The babies and metal characters just seem superfluous.

Randdalf

I hope 30 is just like the default roster and there will be some more unlockable characters. Although 30 is pretty damn huge already.

I wonder how differently the Koopa kids play.

I'd imagine adding new characters to Mario Kart is pretty cheap compared to say, a new fighter in Smash Bros: all it takes is a model and a fairly limited set of animations, sounds, etc. to make a new character. I could definitely see there being more than 30. They'll probably add like Metal Rosalina based on Nintendo's recent track record though, hehe.

Riki

So, the biggest question from the Direct still has yet to be answered...

Where did that guy get Donkey Kong Cereal?!

BM8

Neo Member
Do you guys think the kooplings are a one off, or an addition to the foundation of the future of MK characters? If the latter, than there might be some surprise characters.

Baby Rosalina/mii also seem to be foundation characters, and not a one off(well miis are in previous mk games). You can also say gold peach is as well, to give a heavy female character.

So in theory, theres still a chance. Unless Nintendo didnt want to include any unique/one off characters in MK8.

I guess it could be both, that they consider the koopalings this mk's unique characters, but they are also part of the roster now.

Are we sure that there are no unlockable characters?
Bowser JR not being in despite the Kooplings being in is super suspicious, and kind of makes me hopeful.

Berordn

Bowser JR not being in despite the Kooplings being in is super suspicious, and kind of makes me hopeful.

I don't think there's any question of characters being unlockable or not, just if the 30 character roster we've seen is all of them.

I don't think there's any question of characters being unlockable or not, just if the 30 character roster we've seen is all the characters.
Which are we assuming? Either he is secret, or Nintendo have gone crazy.
I'm buying regardless, but it would be really weird to leave out a character with far more presence in the universe and one who is far better known.

TreIII

While not completely off-base? NSMB2 already had the precedent of having the revamped Koopalings rolling with Bowser by themselves, with no Junior in sight.

If not that game, than this one would certainly do the most to ensure that they and Junior are no longer "joined at the hip".

Hindl

Really? I loved it and thought it was self referential and funny. Much better than their standard info - trailer - info progression. Showed that weird Nintendo is coming back

Revven

I honestly hope there will be DLC, it looks like they've had the game finished for at least the past two months now (since they announced the May 30th date). And MKWii sold like gangbusters so you'd think they would want to support MK8 for as long as they possibly can, since Mario Kart games have such huge legs as far as sales go.

But I guess we'll have to wait and see. The character roster could be plenty fixed via DLC like putting in vets such as Diddy Kong, Dry Bones, Birdo, Bowser Jr., etc. Yes, it's kind of weird to be asking for these chars as DLC but they're such strange omissions in the first place that... well if they're going to do DLC they might as well bring those guys back.

If not those guys then give us Dixie, give us a Mario RPG character, give us Kamek, give us any other Mario enemy that hasn't been in a Mario Kart game or give us even something like Mr. L -- at least that would be a cool clone...

I normally don't care or haven't cared about the roster but this time around it really sticks out like a sore thumb. All these babies and clone characters, man. I mean, the reason people want more unique characters is because this isn't a fighting game, there really shouldn't be any reason to make so many damn clones. New models and animations take time, yes, but not to the level/extent a fighting game does and that's what bothers me about inclusions like Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach. -__-

If you're going to give us Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach, you have to then give us characters like Dixie and Dry Bones or Kamek to make up for those two since they take so much less time to make.

I'm going to love the game regardless just like MK7 but I would be lying if I said I wasn't hugely bothered by this game's roster.

Berordn

Which are we assuming? Either he is secret, or Nintendo have gone crazy.
I'm buying regardless, but it would be really weird to leave out a character with far more presence in the universe and one who is far better known.

So... kinda like Waluigi and Mario Kart 7?

Personally, I'm going on the assumption that the 30 character roster is the final one, and the starting roster looks similar to this:
kart-1024x576.png
With maybe Baby Mario and Baby Peach thrown in at the start.

Ughh... the direct video is somewhat tedious to watch. It's like a bad parody of an infomercial. I shut it off after about 10 minutes in.

But the game itself looks pretty nice though, I'm really liking the aesthetics and visuals on this one. It doesn't look like a Wii game running in HD.

Baby rosalina? that's worse than baby waluigi!

What a shitty slot for a character. Same goes for that shitty liquid peach nobody asked for.

Where is DIDDY

Towels

Banned
I learned about this Direct 12 hours ago. (thanks GAF) I've had work and social shit since then. Only just getting the chance to watch. Damn you Nintendo, why didn't you announce this so I could plan round it. You know you're my true love!

BM8

Neo Member
So... kinda like Waluigi and Mario Kart 7?

Personally, I'm going on the assumption that the 30 character roster is the final one, and the starting roster looks similar to this:

With maybe Baby Mario and Baby Peach thrown in at the start.

Thats an old build from e3 2013. You can tell by the background. Thatd be a lot of characters to unlock.

Im happy with the roster. Nintendo might just be trying to make a rounded off image of who should be racing in the world of MK. If that make sense.

Berordn

Thats an old build from e3 2013. You can tell by the background.

I know it is, I'm was just using it as an example. A 12 character starting roster would be just like Mario Kart Wii and I wouldn't be surprised if the E3 demo featured all the starting characters, since they're pretty much the core cast.

JB2448

That's almost as bad as people seeing hints pointing to Half Life in every 3 they see. Mother fans are losing it.

I appreciate the response. I'm assuming that line seems perfectly normal (funny, given the context) to you. I mean, I appreciate Luigi going into a wall as much as anyone, but why the heck would they even put that line in? Do you have a better reason?

BM8

Neo Member
I know it is, I'm was just using it as an example. A 12 character starting roster would be just like Mario Kart Wii and I wouldn't be surprised if the E3 demo featured all the starting characters, since they're pretty much the core cast.

Never really played mk wii enough to notice. Don't you think some of the baby characters would be unlocked right away?

edit: oops, you did mention that at the bottom

Lolninjacatz

Neo Member

It was really corny, but I liked it. It kind of reminded me of those Bill Nye episodes

Kinsei

Banned
Never really played mk wii enough to notice. Don't you think some of the baby characters would be unlocked right away?

It's possible. Here's the MKW starting roster for comparison.

Baby Mario
Baby Peach
Toad
Koopa Troopa
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Wario
Waluigi
Bowser
DK

I could see them replacing Baby Mario and Baby Peach with Daisy and Toadette so the starting roster isn't the same as MKW.

BM8

Neo Member
It's possible. Here's the MKW starting roster for comparison.

Baby Mario
Baby Peach
Toad
Koopa Troopa
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Wario
Waluigi
Bowser
DK

I could see them replacing Baby Mario and Baby Peach with Daisy and Toadette so the starting roster isn't the same as MKW.

I noticed he mentioned the inclusion of baby characters at the starting roster. I never owned a wii, and play a friends mk7(with some characters already unlocked), so it seemed unrealistic to me, to unlock 16-18 characters, at the time.

Axass

I appreciate the response. I'm assuming that line seems perfectly normal (funny, given the context) to you. I mean, I appreciate Luigi going into a wall as much as anyone, but why the heck would they even put that line in? Do you have a better reason?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it isn't somehow strangely placed, though I got the impression you were implying it could be a hint regarding Mother 3 and its localization. I think if it's anything at all it's just a weird easter egg, just like during VGX when we thought Reggie was going to announce something regarding Metroid just cause he had a Samus pin on him: it actually had no meaning.

Berordn

I noticed he mentioned the inclusion of baby characters at the starting roster. I never owned a wii, and play a friends mk7(with some characters already unlocked), so it seemed unrealistic to me, to unlock 16-18 characters, at the time.

Mario Kart games have always started with a bare minimum playable roster when there's unlockable characters. Double Dash started with 16 (which made for eight playable teams) with 4 unlockable, MKDS started with 8 with 4 unlockable, MKWii started with 12 with 14 unlockable, and MK7 started with 8 with 9 unlockable.

Not saying they have to continue the pattern, but they haven't broken it yet.

Mory Dunz

... brb.

On a real note though: I never realized roster was this important for people in Mario Kart. I guess it's cause I've pretty much exclusively used Peach / Luigi for Mario Kart (except Dry Bones in MKDS) But, the inclusion/exclusion of certain characters have never really bothered me to any extent

it's a dev unit, they even noted that in the direct

Same. I also didn't know battle mode mattered that much. I thought no one had time to get a group of friends in a house to play things anymore. Or is battle mode online?

About the additions...
- They're kind of dumb. But Nintendo obviously wanted a light girl and heavy girl.
- They didn't want to make up a random character. (looking at you, Plum)
- They don't want to use RPG characters for whatever reason.

So, as weird as it is, what is the solution people wanted instead? (And I do think Birdo is in game.)

EDIT:
Forgot about Dixie. Yeah, they shoud've added her. She would probably be medium and not light though, right?

lenovox1

It was really corny, but I liked it. It kind of reminded me of those Bill Nye episodes

Personally, that's kind of why I didn't like it. It reminded me of early-mid 90s PBS Kids, too, in a dated way. But I want to rewatch on my TV to view the footage on a larger screen, so, oh well.

JB2448

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it isn't somehow strangely placed, though I got the impression you were implying it could be a hint regarding Mother 3 and its localization. I think if it's anything at all it's just a weird easter egg, just like during VGX when we thought Reggie was going to announce something regarding Metroid just cause he had a Samus pin on him: it actually had no meaning.
I honestly believe that's for a new Metroid announcement, though honestly, it could have been a hint towards NES Remix, for all we know. And no, not necessarily Mother 3. We never got the first one, and that's fully translated. Once E3 happens, I'll concede on the Samus pin meaning anything if nothing's announced.

Raide

This will probably end up being the first game I have purchased for my Wii-U since Monster Hunter Tri U. Cannot go far wrong with some Mario Kart goodness.

fisheyes

I'm also confused why people are that fussed about the characters. Sure, if I was picking 30 ideal Mario characters for a game, I wouldn't have 5 babies and 2 metal reskins, but it's not like the different characters make any difference. I do have characters I like to use in certain Mario Karts either because they're aesthetically pleasing to me (Koopa, Paratroopa, Dry Bones, Yoshi, Waluigi) or because they're just such odd choices (Toadette, Baby Daisy, Waluigi), but since it ends up making bugger all difference anyway, who cares?

I think I would rock Lemmy in this game, he seems pretty rad.

BM8

Neo Member
Mario Kart games have always started with a bare minimum playable roster when there's unlockable characters. Double Dash started with 16 (which made for eight playable teams) with 4 unlockable, MKDS started with 8 with 4 unlockable, MKWii started with 12 with 14 unlockable, and MK7 started with 8 with 9 unlockable.

Not saying they have to continue the pattern, but they haven't broken it yet.

Yeah, it does sound realistic mk8 will start with around 50% of its roster, with plenty to unlock.

Top Bottom