• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

Kangi

This can't be the final roster. That'd be an absurd number of long-standing characters being cut.

...It's the final roster, isn't it?

Berordn

...It's the final roster, isn't it?

It's almost certainly the final roster, with about half of those characters being unlockable.

That's what they did with MK7 anyway, reveal everything prior to launch and then lock it behind getting gold in each cup.

ec0ec0

After sooo many directs... we can FINALLY watch one without having to hear iwata and his "english" (most of the direct at least). Actually, i didnt like this direct much, but at least i didnt have to hear slooow iwata. Iwata, you can keep doing the amazing iwata asks but, please, let nintendo direct evolve without you as the narrator.

And yes, i know that we have had many directs without iwata. But this was one of those that he used to do. I hope that i can keep saying "he used to" in the future :p

wsippel

Banned
Don't really care about the perceived lack of drivers. What I want is a ton of diverse and fun tracks, and Mario Kart 8 apparently got me covered in that regard. I was never a huge fan of Mario Kart (got one as a gift and gave it away soon after, never bought one myself), but this game looks awesome and I'm actually quite hyped. Pretty sure I'm going to buy it.

Pretty good direct! Can't wait to play this!

Have they ever announced the full roster including secret characters before the game released?

Lunar15

Listening to the new version of the N64 Rainbow Road theme, I love how they made it sound like a train engine to go along with the train that's now on the level.

Berordn

Pretty good direct! Can't wait to play this!

Have they ever announced the full roster including secret characters before the game released?

Yes, Mario Kart 7. About a month before release they unveiled Wiggler and Honey Queen who ended up being the final unlockable characters.

The timeframe matches up :(

Kangi

Which ones are you thinking of? Did you not play MK7?

Handheld Mario Karts are typically sparse with the roster.

The lackluster roster here just seems... bizarre. One thing to not have characters like Dry Bones, Funky Kong, etc. But Bowser Jr.? Even GP DX has Bowser Jr.

Diddy Kong and King Boo are incredibly strange omissions, as well.

The worst part of this game is that the blue shell preorder isn't in North America. Day one. So much hype. Looks like I'll finally be trying New Super Mario Bros Wii U.

Are NO unlockable characters confirmed?

GimMick

My growing hype for the game is starting to make the wait a bit unbearable now... so ecstatic to see Yoshi Valley finally returning and being completely revamped, and the last new tracks all look incredible.

With the new options for online, I don't think I'll be able to put down the game for months to come ! With even a decent survival battle mode as a bonus (I didn't usually care for battle mode except for the MK64/DD one).

I did laugh at the new character announcements though, already thinking about how many people those would piss off
KuGsj.gif

EulaCapra

Mount Wario is EVERYTHING. All the crazy good tracks keep going to Wario...

As for the roster as is, please no. I hope there's a hidden 6 characters in there somewhere because right now it's really horribly unbalanced. At least MKWii was some random assortment of Babies, King Boo, and Funky Kong. MK8 consists of Staple characters, babies, Koopalings, and Metallic placeholders.

I dunno. Seeing the Mount Wario crowd composed of just different colored Toads, Koopas, Shy Guys and Yoshi's might spell trouble for Birdo and Dry Bones to appear...

MicH

Pink Gold Peach really is ridiculous. I don't even understand how they thought she would be a better inclusion than Diddy or Birdo. It's just so odd

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I wonder who project managed this video?
It's really entertaining. Probably their European branch.

Roo

After sooo many directs... we can FINALLY watch one without having to hear iwata and his "english" (most of the direct at least). Actually, i didnt like this direct much, but at least i didnt have to hear slooow iwata. Iwata, you can keep doing the amazing iwata asks but, please, let nintendo direct evolve without you as the narrator.

And yes, i know that we have had many directs without iwata. But this was one of those that he used to do. I hope that i can keep saying "he used to" in the future :p

I'd like to hear you speak Japanese, I'm sure your diction is perfect.

sinxtanx

Who would have thought that Mario Kart would be the first franchise to properly deliver on the "Ahmagad HD Nintendo games!" promise?

FUCKING.

GLORIOUS.

Berordn

I love Iwata and all, but I actually kinda agree. I'm glad he's showing up to kick things off but the glacial pace that the directs used to be presented at could get irritating.

Not that this particular direct is an example of good pacing, since it had a lot of bizarre filler and bumpers.

I don't seem to find any official confirmation or information about this, so please don't red-shell me if this has been answered before but, has "online split-screen" multiplayer been confirmed already? Will it accept more than two offline players?

That feature is key to me, I'm surprised I haven't found anyone else caring about that in GAF...

Revven

I don't seem to find any official confirmation or information about this, so please don't red-shell me if this has been answered before but, has "online split-screen" multiplayer been confirmed already? Will it accept more than two offline players?

That feature is key to me, I'm surprised I haven't found anyone else caring about that in GAF...

It was in MKWii so I don't see why it wouldn't be here.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Ok so I'm finally watching this and it's all fine and dandy (kinda cringeworthy though) but I couldn't help and notice this:

aqxJK4F.png

Is that just a gamepad cover or is that a new color entirely? That's my favorite shade of green :0

probably a dev unit? They tend to have green on their dev systems

Insaniac

In all black cause she's going through that "rebellious" stage.

... brb.

On a real note though: I never realized roster was this important for people in Mario Kart. I guess it's cause I've pretty much exclusively used Peach / Luigi for Mario Kart (except Dry Bones in MKDS) But, the inclusion/exclusion of certain characters have never really bothered me to any extent

probably a dev unit? They tend to have green on their dev systems

it's a dev unit, they even noted that in the direct

narton

So the club nintendo "intend to buy" survey is up. Just curious, is it a normal choice for all games to have a "download service (Trial version)" option, even if they don't have it? Maybe it's getting a demo after all?

9AJOseM.png

Tookay

This is a retort that can be applied to anything and means nothing.

"You think that movie is bad? I'D LIKE TO SEE YOU DIRECT ONE."

You see how little that contributes to the conversation?

I didn't like this direct's format at all. It was trying WAAAAYY too hard to be funny without even almost succeeding.

Nintendo has really been forcing Rosalina down our throats recently and Pink Gold Peach a really weird (stupid weird, not good weird) choice.

I'm still hyped about the game, but if Nintendo ever does another Direct like this, I won't be watching it.

Top Bottom