• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

Kouriozan

Jucksalbe

Banned
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but Amazon.de now has an "exclusive" Steelbook edition:

71u0SmPAIUL._SL1188_.jpg

It's 10€ more, though.

BM8

Neo Member
The absence of arenas for battle mode is a bummer, but I'm actually excited to play it in Toads Turnpike, and Yoshi's Valley. Sherbet Land may work well too, with the open areas with all them ice guys sliding around. In some cases, it may end up being more unique than some battle arenas, with dodging vehicles in toads turnpike, and with all these paths in yoshis valley.

edit: I just hope we can select which items to use, like for races. It'd be fun to have a bom-bomb only match, and a shell only match.

Totally serious.

The problem for me is that... I simply don't like Big Band/Jazz music. Most video games will have a classical score or other smooth or soft music. I usually classify those as elevator music. There are exceptions (exemple: Guilty Gears), of course, but I find those exceptions to be few and far between.

Here is some exemple of music I listen to: Song 1, song 2, song 3, song 4 and song 5.

I know that this kind of music is totally unrealistic in video games, except rhythm and music related games.

My only exception to all of the above: David Wise.

I knew that my point of view would spark that kind of comments. So, I gladly won't remove myself. :D
Actually you think the music is bad because thats not the kind of music you like. Well you see I dont go flying around telling the country music thread that their taste is bad.

Totally serious.

The problem for me is that... I simply don't like Big Band/Jazz music.
Ok so it's just about your taste, not the quality itself. I understand.

I love Jazz music that is why I find this soundtrack outstanding.

Different strokes, different folks.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Do you guys think they're gonna keep up with the numbers from here on out? I was cool with it when they did it for 7, but doing it again for 8 seems off to me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Do you guys think they're gonna keep up with the numbers from here on out? I was cool with it when they did it for 7, but doing it again for 8 seems off to me.
Probably not. They even said internally staff weren't keen on using a number again, but were swayed because the 8 had the double meaning of looking like a möbius strip. Doubt they'll be able to do the same thing with 9.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm pleased with everything they have announced for Mario Kart 8. If they are going to release DLC for Mario Kart 8 then I will be right there in heartbeat.

2 completely different packs of 2-4 characters and a cup (4 tracks)

I'm pleased with everything they have announced for Mario Kart 8. If they are going to release DLC for Mario Kart 8 then I will be right there in heartbeat.

Yep, 2 characters, 2 new kart/tyre/glider styles/1 new cup (4x tracks) = $10. New one every 2/3 months. *salivate*

Looks like Nintendo might be onto something with this Mario Kart thing. Below is a list of Mario Kart 8's preorder ranking on various Amazon shops around the world.

America: 4th
Canada: 4th
France: 1st
Germany: 4th
Italy: 2nd
Japan: 2nd
Spain: 1st
UK: 3rd

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227469-mario-kart-8-hitting-amazon-top-10-preorders-around-the-world
Also worth pointing out that on Amazon US, it's the highest ranking game on the list (the only thing above it is PSN vouchers), outselling even the PS4.
I don't know if it will 'save' the Wii U, and frankly I don't even care to have that discussion lol. But I do know that this will certainly sell a lot more Wii Us than any other game to have released for it so far.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Mario Kart Eight rolls off the tongue decently. It's the Möbius strip that makes it such a perfect use of numbering.

Well, my friends think Mario Kart Loop rolls off the tongue better, so they are going to sticks with Mario Kart Loop over Mario Kart 8.

Davey Cakes

Also worth pointing out that on Amazon US, it's the highest ranking game on the list (the only thing above it is PSN vouchers), outselling even the PS4.
I don't know if it will 'save' the Wii U, and frankly I don't even care to have that discussion lol. But I do know that this will certainly sell a lot more Wii Us than any other game to have released for it so far.
Unless all the preorders are from people who already own the system.

I highly doubt that's the case though. MK8 is a "tipping point" game for a lot of folks.

ffdgh

If I see any sign of hammer bro DLC, It will be bought on the spot.

tsab

Ok just saw the Direct. I was thinking of cancelling my Limited Edition ( I would receive it earlier than release too!) but screw it. 70euro pre-order vindicated!

Matesamo

This looks like the most complete Nintendo game yet for the Wii U and bodes well for SSB later this year. The levels look amazing, the music is great and the features like tournament and YouTube uploading are long over due. The whole family is excited for this game to come out later this month and it will get a lot of play time in our house for sure.

This looks like the most complete Nintendo game yet for the Wii U and bodes well for SSB later this year.

What does Mario Kart have anything to do with how "complete" Smash will be? What bodes well for Smash is Sakurai, who has a long history of games packed to the brim with content.

Looks like Nintendo might be onto something with this Mario Kart thing. Below is a list of Mario Kart 8's preorder ranking on various Amazon shops around the world.

America: 4th
Canada: 4th
France: 1st
Germany: 4th
Italy: 2nd
Japan: 2nd
Spain: 1st
UK: 3rd

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227469-mario-kart-8-hitting-amazon-top-10-preorders-around-the-world

I don't think the pre-order or hourly tops mean much, because if you look at the January 1st 2014 => today chart, updated daily:

UK: #78, lost somewhere between LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (PS4) and Thief (PS4)
USA: nowhere to be seen. Even Mario Kart Wii is there at #96.
Germany: #47. Mario Kart 7 is at #39 (sold relatively well near new year, see PAL Charts threads).
Canada: somehow Amazon.ca has 2 SKUs of MK8 that show the regular game box. >_< One is #49, other one not in the top 100.
France: regular edition is #49 and oddly Limited Edition is there too, at #52.
Japan: #33, between Zelda Link Between Worlds (3DS) and Diablo III (PS3).

Amazon Italy & Spain don't have a 2014 best-sellers page.

Jagsrock

Banned

Definitely, this and smash are two games that reallly deserve some DLC.

zweifuss

Anyone else disappointed that Donkey Kong doesn't appear to have the same quality of fur effects as in DKCTF? Bit of a letdown!

Anyone else disappointed that Donkey Kong doesn't appear to have the same quality of fur effects as in DKCTF? Bit of a letdown!

The model is quite poor looking (not just the fur) to me after 75 hours of Tropical Freeze haha. But then again, DK was the main character in that game and there are 30 on the main roster of Mario Kart.

Top Bottom