• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

All this talk about anti-gravity is just making me with there was a new F-Zero. F-Zero GX was such an amazing game.

I'm for Captain Falcon in Mario Kart 8 along with an F-Zero themed cup. That would be epic.

As a matter of fact, I am for Captain Falcon being in every game, ever.

Here's how I see the metal and baby characters:

Characters like Mario and Peach are iconic and very popular. Some players would like to play as these characters but don't because they prefer weight classes that these characters are not in. Baby versions give you an option to play as Mario or Peach as a lightweight and metal versions give you an option to play as Mario or Peach as a heavyweight. They've made regular Peach a medium weight character this time where traditionally she's been light.

Then where are Baby Wario and Baby DK? Christ, there's a defense force for everything. The babies were probably included so they could pander to a certain perverted demographic in Japan who are obsessed with cute little girls.

I think the like-dislike-ratio is also interesting. Ordered by most well received directs:

Super Smash Bros. Direct 4.8.14: 114:1
Mario Kart 8 Direct 4.30.14: 80:1
Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E32014: 54:1
Tomodachi life Direct 4.10.14: 50:1
Introducing Tomodachi Life 4.10.14: 19:1
Tomodachi Life: Weird Dreams featuring Shaq 4.25.14: 6:1

ahahaha, Shaq's doomed.

rawktapus

I don't get the hate for the koopalings, they are fucking amazing to be in there finally. ANd they got rid of fucking baby bowser, so thats a plus.

I would have liked to see Bowser Jr too, but yeah, I'm stoked for the Koopalings. Each one seems to have a great personality and set of animations, and they run the gamut of class weights too. Fantastic additions

I would have liked to see Bowser Jr too, but yeah, I'm stoked for the Koopalings. Each one seems to have a great personality and set of animations, and they run the gamut of class weights too. Fantastic additions

Yep and I hope they become staples across the Mario spin-offs too.

Taker666

All this talk about anti-gravity is just making me with there was a new F-Zero. F-Zero GX was such an amazing game.

I'm for Captain Falcon in Mario Kart 8 along with an F-Zero themed cup. That would be epic.

As a matter of fact, I am for Captain Falcon being in every game, ever.

I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to get a new F-Zero made very quickly if they just adapted the Mario Kart 8 Engine.

Berordn

I stand corrected. But she's been middle more often than not, right?

SMK - Somewhere in between what we would later be the standard lightweight and middleweight.
64 - Light
Super Circuit - Light
Double Dash - Medium
DS - Light
Wii - Medium
7 - Light (though there's a lighter weight class, the featherweights)
8 - Medium

It's actually pretty even.

So have Nintendo ever revealed every single track for a Mario Kart game before?
I ask because it appears they have done it this time, which could imply one of two things:

a) They are using the Brawl playbook to generate hype
b) There are additional tracks left that can be unlocked that they did not show us.

So have Nintendo ever revealed every single track for a Mario Kart game before?
I ask because it appears they have done it this time, which could imply one of two things:

a) They are using the Brawl playbook to generate hype
b) There are additional tracks left that can be unlocked that they did not show us.

I'm pretty sure 99% of the game has been revealed at this point. I'd like to be proven wrong.

Toadette

Banned
there is going to a 2 hidden cups in this game

1 cup has 4 new tracks
1 cup has 4 classic tracks

and one more row of unlock-able characters

Mario Kart's one of those games that lives for years off multiplayer and inherent replayability, so it's not like they lose much by revealing everything off the bat.

Yeah, though I am weak and have spoiled myself on other games(3D World and Tropical Freeze), I don't think it's possible to spoil yourself on Mario Kart.

At least not for me.

Yeah, though I am weak and have spoiled myself on other games(3D World and Tropical Freeze), I don't think it's possible to spoil yourself on Mario Kart.

At least not for me.

Yeah, even I, who avoid spoilers at all costs (only watched the reveal trailers for the two above games) have seen pretty much everything on Mario Kart. Games like this and Smash I don't mind spoiling because the joy comes not from discovery and surprise but rather honing your skills through repetition and the unpredictability of competition.

Davey Cakes

No diddy kong and no bowser jr. But Metal mario and Pink gold peach, what the hell...
No Dry Bones or Birdo either.

You really can't count on any characters being series staples, honestly. It's too bad.

But some people like the new additions so hey, can't have it all.

big_erk

Then where are Baby Wario and Baby DK? Christ, there's a defense force for everything. The babies were probably included so they could pander to a certain perverted demographic in Japan who are obsessed with cute little girls.

You're right, because Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are such cute little girls.

People mourning bowser junior's absence is odd. I could've sworn people wanted to feed him into a woodchipper when he was first created.

I don't have a problem with him, it's just strange seeing this stuff change over time.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You're right, because Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are such cute little girls.

Besides this the "Baby pantheon" includes Baby Wario, Bowser, and Donkey Kong. They show up in Yoshi's Island DS.

I personally think the baby characters are kind of dumb but reading too much into them is completely silly.

brinstar

That... seems to a bit of a reach, man. The baby characters are obviously intended to appeal to young children. And as for Baby Wario and DK's exclusion, that's because the babies are also designed to re-use assets. Baby Luigi is not far off from Baby Mario's model, and Baby Rosalina and Daisy are clearly based from Baby Peach.

Berordn

People mourning bowser junior's absence is odd. I could've sworn people wanted to feed him into a woodchipper when he was first created.

I don't have a problem with him, it's just strange seeing this stuff change over time.

Back when he was introduced he was a worthless little snot who didn't do anything but steal the spotlight from Daddy Bowser, stealing roles away from the Koopalings and acting as an unoriginal miniboss.

He's redeemed himself since then.

rawktapus

Little kids won't play as babies, they want to play with Mario or whatever. The babies were included because of the japanese, they like cute things like that.

That's a sweeping generalisation. Lot's of people like the babies, especially younger girls, regardless of ethnicity. The babies were added because they have fans.

AdanVC

I can't get over the beautiful graphics in MK8. I was playing MK Wii yesterday and I was like: "This looks like an early 2003 game, I can't believe this is the latest home console Mario Kart with those graphics" Of course everything else on the game is spot on and damn good but after watching all this MK8 footage I just never want to look back at MK Wii, The evolution of MK Wii to MK8 is insanely huge. Oh god, why we're still 1 month away from this game :(?

Liethe

I can't get over the beautiful graphics in MK8. I was playing MK Wii yesterday and I was like: "This looks like an early 2003 game, I can't believe this is the latest home console Mario Kart with those graphics" Of course everything else on the game is spot on and damn good but after watching all this MK8 footage I just never want to look back at MK Wii, The evolution of MK Wii to MK8 is insanely huge. Oh god, why we're still 1 month away from this game :(?
That's because it kinda doesn't look much different from Double Dash, which WAS released in 2003. lol

Top Bottom