• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

This game just looks amazing, like it could be the definitive entry in the Mario Kart series to date. I am a little worried about the lack of purpose-built battle stages, but I'll reserve judgement on those until I actually play them.

Also, Donut Plains 3 making it in as a retro track has me so hyped. I loved that track as a kid.

Mory Dunz

Of course. I don't have issues with "babies" themselves, I just wish they made them their own characters rather than baby versions of existing characters.

Nintendo is not going to make up characters for a Mario Kart game.
Characters get introduced for the first time in the 2D or 3D platoformers usually, and then put in.

Has Diddy been in a Mario game before? I'm trying to think..
cizqQ1L.png

ln17IhSm.jpg

BM8

Neo Member
And thanks to this video, we know more about some of the track layouts we couldn't see much of on the official site and have some idea of the starting roster.

I disagree with the guy saying anti grav is just there so the devs can mess around with the courses. Advance players will be improvising technique to get the most out of the speed boost that comes from bumping into other racers. As well as teams purposely bumping into to each other to get a boost. It also allows players to catch up to the leader, since the leader cant get a boost in anti grav, from another player, because theyre in first. There still is objects you can bump into, but 1st cant get the extra player bump boost.

Mory Dunz

They made up Toadette for Mario Kart Double Dash, technically.

Oh wow, TTYD came out in 2004, and Double Dash came out in 2003. So you're right. Thanks for the correction.

I guess they're okay with making a "variation" character, so they could've made a female koopa troopa or a female lakitu if they needed more girls.

boxter432

Oh wow, TTYD came out in 2004, and Double Dash came out in 2003. So you're right. Thanks for the correction.

I guess they're okay with making a "variation" character, so they could've made a female koopa troopa or a female lakitu if they needed more girls.

Waluigi was literally made for spinoff games...first appearance was Mario Tennis.

Riki

(Parody) Nintendo's Designers spent three years making Pink Gold Peach.

In the initial stages of planning, I hired some of the best character designers in the industry to create more characters for Mario Kart 8 because we ran out of great Mario characters to use,” explained Yabuki, “We could have used Diddy Kong or Dry Bones again, but those characters are simply filler compared to titans like Baby Mario and Baby Daisy. We needed something fresh and on the first day, the design team came up with some wonderful ideas.”

Riki

I jumped in started reading the quote before I saw "parody". I almost flipped out.

“The design team did not know each other the first day so we held an icebreaker,” recalled Takuji, “We held a contest for the most unoriginal character for fun and it just so happened that Yabuki-san stopped by to see how we were doing. He walked into a room full of characters like Baby Metal Mario and Waluigi 2. Before we could explain what was happening, he looked at my Gold Peach and said that this character was perfect.”

I should have posted this one.

I disagree with the guy saying anti grav is just there so the devs can mess around with the courses. Advance players will be improvising technique to get the most out of the speed boost that comes from bumping into other racers. As well as teams purposely bumping into to each other to get a boost. It also allows players to catch up to the leader, since the leader cant get a boost in anti grav, from another player, because theyre in first. There still is objects you can bump into, but 1st cant get the extra player bump boost.

That, and what was with him saying the horn can't destroy blue shells?

Toparaman

Banned
Oh, so corny...I was cringing throughout. And Nintendo was doing so good on the humor front recently!

I did really enjoy the music recording section though.

RagnarokX

I understand being disappointed at having Pink Gold Peach in instead of another favorite but I honestly think she's just there to give players the option of playing as Peach in any weight class: Baby Peach = Light, Peach = Medium, Pink Gold Peach = Heavy. Plus they probably wanted to have another heavy female racer and... well... who could they have picked for that? Honey Queen again? Bowletta?

Queen Hisstocrat?
MpoJiaP.jpg

I wounder how they'd make that work...

She wouldn't be a heavy considering Wendy isn't, but I'm surprised they didn't included Pom Pom. She does rock the boomerang in 3D Land.

q5olBi3.png

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Recent Direct / videos YouTube stats, from NA Nintendo Profile

As of 07:50 GMT

Super Smash Bros. Direct 4.8.14 - 1,167,155 - 26,975 likes / 240 dislikes
Tomodachi life Direct 4.10.14 - 546,072 - 12,119 likes / 244 dislikes
Introducing Tomodachi Life 4.10.14 - 1,076,782 - 1,839 likes / 97 dislikes
Tomodachi Life: Weird Dreams featuring Shaq 4.25.14 - 125,594 views - 1,021 likes / 164 dislikes
Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E32014 4.29.14 - 585,136 views - 19,113 likes / 359 dislikes
Mario Kart 8 Direct 4.30.14 - 328,458 views - 11,064 likes / 137 dislikes

Teknoman

Nintendo needs to bring back Toad's Mario Kart 64 voice. It actually fit the guy just fine, instead of the annoying "WHA HA" voice.

Lebon14

You guys think that the music is god sent? Beside the N64 Rainbow Road remix (which is still inferior to the original track), the soundtrack is just elevator music to me.

And, if you love elevator music and think that I just complimented the soundtrack, you are wrong. Let me rephrase: the soundtrack is boring.

That means... I'm gonna play with my headphones on; playing actual good music from my playlist in Foobar2000.

Roo

You guys think that the music is god sent? Beside the N64 Rainbow Road remix (which is still inferior to the original track), the soundtrack is just elevator music to me.

And, if you love elevator music and think that I just complimented the soundtrack, you are wrong. Let me rephrase: the soundtrack is boring.

That means... I'm gonna play with my headphones on; playing actual good music from my playlist in Foobar2000.
Good to know (...)

I agree. It sounds like they put a tad more effort into the music with the orchestration and whatnot, but overall is unremarkable. I do like the new Bowser's Castle theme though.

Shiggy

The new soundtrack does indeed sound pretty unremarkable, even if the orchestration is a nice touch. Then again, that's only so much you can do with a racer. I don't remember a racing game with an impressive soundtrack which I wanted to listen to outside of playing the game. Yet while playing, the soundtrack in Mario Kart was always fitting.

Raitaro

Ok, impressions and thoughts in quick succession:

- LOVED the (UK) Direct itself, especially the history parts and haiku and the overall silly tone;
- MK8 itself looks and sounds great, especially the animations;
- Love what I've seen of the new tracks as well as the retro ones;
- Online functionality seems to look solid.

But:
- Why oh why no battle arenas? They really can't try to recreate (or *gasp* top) the ones from MK64, even after their many failed attempts in the other games (resulting in very boring and far too open arenas imo)? Why not even try to build a few interesting, maze-like arenas with places to hide, climb, i.e. arenas that allow for gliding and underwater action as well? You would almost think that they are planning to release a full game based on Mario Chase from Nintendo Land and therefore don't want to make Mario Kart battle mode too similar or something...
- Why again such a large focus on kart customisation and vehicle options (never liked it, I just want the basic karts and a larger focus on cool characters and tracks)?
- Why still the same formula of 16 new and 16 retro tracks? Are we stuck on this forever now? I'd like more new tracks (like DD's 20 over 5 cups) and no/less retro ones (since those retro tracks to me never fully fit with the new ones and therefore ruin the world this game builds a bit for me), or more tracks in general (DLC?);
- Why such a weak roster? Why so many babies and why the golden Peach? They really pulled a (Capcom) Decapre on us with that one, ugh.

Also, if there wil be DLC, I don't want more kart parts or babies, just tracks or arenas. Preferably new ones, but I'd be happy with more reworked retro ones as well in this case since they do seem very fresh and different.

Also, does anyone know if the game supports some kind of all-cup tour like DD had? Odd they never used that again from the moment they started using retro cups, as I always preferred playing all (new) tracks back to back with my girlfriend against AI.

Sorry to sound so down on the game and to repeat complaints of others, but I couldn't help myself. I do still look forward to the game, don't get me wrong. Though when it comes to innovation in the MK series, Nintendo really seems to focus on the wrong things or be stuck to weird traditions imo. That said, the release day can't come soon enough.

HUELEN10

Fuck, I just thought of something...

Can you have 4 players at once in this game with no one using the Gamepad? This is my biggest complaint with 3D world, and it would suck if you couldn't have all 4 Wii Wheels or Nunchuck Combos (the only way to play as far as my friends and I are concerned).

The music is freaking ridiculous...remove yourself.

rekameohs

Banned
- Why still the same formula of 16 new and 16 retro tracks? Are we stuck on this forever now? I'd like more new tracks (like DD's 20 over 5 cups) and no/less retro ones (since those retro tracks to me never fully fit with the new ones and therefore ruin the world this game builds a bit for me), or more tracks in general (DLC?);

Double Dash only had 16 tracks, not 20 (as did MK64). The only Mario Karts with 20 tracks were Super Mario Kart and Super Circuit (which also included all 20 of Super Mario Kart's tracks for a total of 40). DS onward have the 16/16 combo.

Lebon14

Totally serious.

I agree. It sounds like they put a tad more effort into the music with the orchestration and whatnot, but overall is unremarkable. I do like the new Bowser's Castle theme though.

The problem for me is that... I simply don't like Big Band/Jazz music. Most video games will have a classical score or other smooth or soft music. I usually classify those as elevator music. There are exceptions (exemple: Guilty Gears), of course, but I find those exceptions to be few and far between.

Here is some exemple of music I listen to: Song 1, song 2, song 3, song 4 and song 5.

I know that this kind of music is totally unrealistic in video games, except rhythm and music related games.

My only exception to all of the above: David Wise.

The music is freaking ridiculous...remove yourself.

I knew that my point of view would spark that kind of comments. So, I gladly won't remove myself. :D

RagnarokX

- Why still the same formula of 16 new and 16 retro tracks? Are we stuck on this forever now? I'd like more new tracks (like DD's 20 over 5 cups) and no/less retro ones (since those retro tracks to me never fully fit with the new ones and therefore ruin the world this game builds a bit for me), or more tracks in general (DLC?)

You might want to actually look at what they've done with the retro tracks this time.

Top Bottom