• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

jett

D-Member
That's the first Nintendo Direct thingy I watch that makes me wish others developers did videos like that. That was really great, I don't even like Mario Kart much but it made me want to buy that bundle(who knows how long that feeling will last though :p). Best part was the "Music Kart" vid.

This direct reminds me of those Nintendo Power videos that they used to send out back in the day to promote games like Star Fox 64 and Donkey Kong Country. I love it! I can't wait to play this game, but I'm disappointed by the selection of free games the US is getting. I wish we got the European list so I could pick something I don't already own.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Not a fan of Koopalings/Kong family/Baby characters to be honest. I'd rather have Birdo, Boo, Dry Bones, etc. DLC hopefully.

Super Horn is great news, as well as the free game promo!

Graphics and gameplay look great.

Character Selection kinda sucks, I could go without Metal Peach, Babay Rosalina, or even the Koopalings. The direct though was godly, designing it like a bunch of different TV channels was amazing, whoever's in charge of these recent directs really knows what they're doing.

And that new Rainbow Road made me cry, it looks amazing.

LAA

The surprising thing in this is it lets you upload to youtube?!

Did...Nintendo just surpass Sony here...? In an online feature....? Ha ha.
Hoping Sony adds support to share on youtube soon.

Learnt a thing new things about it, interesting.

Really cool they're giving a free Wii U game too with it, but... don't really know what I want... Own WWHD, NSMBU, TW101, Pikmin 3, Nintendo land and I did have MH3U, but sold it.. Maybe I'll get that again I guess..

Looks great. I wish Boo or Bowser Jr. Were racers though.

The tournament options look fantastic. In really excited. It was really nice waking up and finding it I had a ND to watch before work.

ffdgh

I hope directs are more like this in the future. Also That Bowser castle, Snow track and rainbow space station road.

I'm pretty sure the GameExplain video confirmed it, because there was a remark about being concerned that the battle arenas are now all loops due to being tracks.

Ugh. I'm still excited for the game, but gotta admit, my hype has deflated considerably with this news. What were they thinking?

BraXzy

Looking forward to watching this after I've had some sleep. Is it worth me selling WW: HD to get a digital copy free? Which ither games on the list are the best to go digital with?

I have pretty much every game that interests me on the list.

The surprising thing in this is it lets you upload to youtube?!

Did...Nintendo just surpass Sony here...? In an online feature....? Ha ha.
Hoping Sony adds support to share on youtube soon.

Learnt a thing new things about it, interesting.

Really cool they're giving a free Wii U game too with it, but... don't really know what I want... Own WWHD, NSMBU, TW101, Pikmin 3, Nintendo land and I did have MH3U, but sold it.. Maybe I'll get that again I guess..

to be fair. this is only game specific.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just looked up a Battle Mode video. Woah, that is a weird decision.

Guess I'm lucky I've been much more of a racing fan for the past few games so I won't be affected, but sad for those who like that mode.

Unfortunately, you can post 30, 45 and 60 second clips to youtube but not the whole thing.
You can post the whole race to the MKTV channel though.

Holy shit that was a great direct. It really feels like Nintendo has recently hired a team that knows how to produce hype on the internet recently. Between yesterday's video and this, they've been nailing it this week.

That music was so hype.

That Bowser's Castle stage looks all kinds of insane.

Online tournaments with lots of customization and voice chat.

Mario Kart of the forever.

Ban Puncher

I sure am glad sucky Bowser Jr. won't be included in this game making everything suck with his gargantuan amounts of suckage.

Bowser Jr. sucks.

Zomba13

Bmd-Mf4CYAE9acg.png

Free game when you buy MK8 in EU before the promo ends

Skimming through just got to that part. Actually said holy shit out loud seeing the list. When they said a special game promotion I imagined something like a previous MK game on VC like MK64 as the debut for N64 on Wii U VC or something.

Did not expect to see such a great list. Made a day 1 purchase decision that much easier and justifiable.

Doomed Nintendo is best Nintendo.

JoeM86

Holy shit that was a great direct. It really feels like Nintendo has recently hired a team that knows how to produce hype on the internet recently. Between yesterday's video and this, they've been nailing it this week.

That music was so hype.

That Bowser's Castle stage looks all kinds of insane.

Online tournaments with lots of customization and voice chat.

Mario Kart of the forever.
All month. Don't forget the Smash & Tomodachi Directs

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Does the MK8 Director have a DS4 on his desk? :D @18 min in the EU direct

edit: nah, it's a Classic Controller Pro I guess

Scrawnton

I really wish W101 was a free title in America. The only free game I don't own is Wii party u and I have zero interest in that.

I feel like I might overdose from all this Nintendo news from these past few days.... but I won't stop. I can't. It's all too delicious!

Just 1 more month x_x !

Berordn

Wait, is there not going to be a battle mode?! :(

There is a battle mode as you can see in this video, but there aren't any exclusive battle mode arenas.

The only course we've seen is Moo Moo Meadows which looks relatively unchanged. If the other courses are edited to be actual arenas it might not be a big deal, but if they're all loops... ehn.

ngower

Loved everything about this Direct, but I really didn't like Reggie's "Kids, tell your parents and parents, tell your kids" line at the end. Mario Kart 8 is a universally liked title, not just something for kids. Makes me wonder if Reggie/NoA are continuing to take their marketing in the direction of kid-friendly/family-friendly gaming.

Not to derail this thread into another Nintendo-bashing, it just irked me.

JoeM86

Yes, 2 very good points.

Although the Smash one was just a great Direct on the merit of what it showed. There wasn't much fancy there in terms of show value/humor.

Either way, Nintendo's been on fire lately.

Say what?
tumblr_n3qhs8JKML1snqxuwo1_500.png

Loved everything about this Direct, but I really didn't like Reggie's "Kids, tell your parents and parents, tell your kids" line at the end. Mario Kart 8 is a universally liked title, not just something for kids. Makes me wonder if Reggie/NoA are continuing to take their marketing in the direction of kid-friendly/family-friendly gaming.

Not to derail this thread into another Nintendo-bashing, it just irked me.

You're thinking too much into it. That's a joke on the fact it's a universally liked title.

Laieon

I was planning on waiting to pick this up, but it might be a launch day title for me now with that promotion going on. I never got around to playing any of the Pikmin games, is 3 any good? I'm trying to decide between that, Nintendoland, and the Wonderful 101.

I was excited when the koopalings were announced, now I'm sad they've seemingly cut so many characters to include them all :(

RIP Bowser Jr, Diddy Kong, Dry Bones, Birdo, King Boo, Funky Kong, Dry Bowser, Wiggler and Honey Queen (;_;)7

Hugstable

Banned
The surprise of the free games really hurts. I just paid full price for Pikimin 3 on the 27th during my birthday. I knew I should have waited just a few more days ugh. I highly doubt they even do a refund for eshop points on the game even though I haven't played it yet either. Oh well guess I'm getting a free copy of Wii Party U lol.

Albo

Needs wifs of the slow mo sections.

I like how they've balanced bike/karts depending on courses

Tournament mode and uploading footage to youtube are great features to finally have.

Also, not sure about the horn either.

Directs lately have been awesome.

Actual dialogue.

Jenny: 8, but that’s so many!
Steve: Right, but that’s just about the amount you deserve, Jenny.
Jenny: Oh, you.

That part was straight up too cheesy,. There's so many different announcers in this direct, I'm wondering why they bothered to pay for them.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Holy Shit! I'm really impressed by the plans for online mp and the social features (MKTV/Youtube sharing etc.)

For me, the most awesome piece of news is the announcement of the tournament sytem! seems such a step up from past iterations! Neogaf tournaments will be glorious!

Top Bottom