• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

Gartooth

"Pink Gold Peach" has to be the dumbest name ever, why not call her "Ruby Peach" or some shit. Also I wouldn't be surprised to see character DLC after what happened to the latest Mario Golf. "Get the Kong family pack for $4.99!"

FryHole

Okay, given recent Directs and this one... I'm fully expecting the Nintendo E3 Event to be batshit insane.

What I've found odd, and maybe I just haven't been paying proper attention, is that they did this quirky 'skit' style stuff for the 2012 pre-E3 video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkPdAWfFjI&t=12m40s

and then I never really saw it again until the Digital Event stuff t'other day - subsequent videos seemed to be played rather more straight.

I like it, mind, and am glad it's continued into this MK8 Direct.

Oswen

Wow, really out of nowhere.
The free game promo is very nice aswell, well played Nintendo, well played.

trixx

"After all you don't care about performance, you're too busy being beautiful" around 10 min mark for paech

LMFAO this is hillarious

te new characters... -_- why

Reggemendation is totally going to become a thing isn't it?

(edit) $330 for a Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle, can register the code for the extra game for 2 games at that price.

Were any of those haikus actually haikus?

They were in Japanese :p

Japan's promotion is that you get 2 or a selection of 6 games to 'demo' for a full month (although both are the retail versions, just with a timer), then you can buy them if you like for a 40% off discount each.

No Birdo, Funky, Diddy, or King Boo and Pink Gold Peach is sort of weird. Disappointing, even. Shame, but literally everything else about the game pleases me so far.

NeonZ

There are THIRTY characters, people. And ALL of the koopa kids.

The whining about a few of them is just sad

I prefer the Mario Kart Wii line up at this point. Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Dry Bowser, Bowser Jr and King Boo were all sacrificed for the Koopalings, Metal Peach and baby Rosalina (And we also lost Birdo and Dry Bones too)...

oxidax

Bmd-Mf4CYAE9acg.png

Ok 2 questions:

1 - is it EU only?
2- is it digital only? (both MK8 purchase and the free game?)

plufim

I must say I am pessimistic about Battle Mode now. Not a single mention of it.

Nor any mention of a Mission Mode, which has me believing it won't return.

Ok 2 questions:

1 - is it EU only?

1. Most of those games are, but NSMBU, Wind Waker, Pikmin 3 and Wii Party U are available for NA.

2. The offer is available for both retail and digital purchases of MK8. The free game is digital.

killercow

Ok 2 questions:

1 - is it EU only?

1- No but the US have a different list of games
2 - You will download your free game through the eshop but this promotion applies even if you bought Mario Kart 8 through retail.

disappointed by the new challengers (gold Peach WTF?!? even stupider than metal mario)

But incredibly HYPED by everything else!!!!!!!

Robin64

Ok 2 questions:

1 - is it EU only?

1 - US has it too, but the selection of games is Zelda, Mario U, Wii Party or Pikmin 3.
2 - The free game is digital, but you can use a retail Kart 8 to register and claim.

Ein Bear

Ok 2 questions:

1 - is it EU only?

Not sure if it's only an EU promotion, but the direct says it works with both physical and digital copies of Mario Kart 8. The free game you receive is a digital code though.

oxidax

1- No but the US have a different list of games
2 - You will download your free game through the eshop but this promotion applies even if you bought Mario Kart 8 through retail.

1. Most of those games are, but NSMBU, Wind Waker, Pikmin 3 and Wii Party U are available for NA.

2. The offer is available for both retail and digital purchases of MK8. The free game is digital.

That is EU only, but there is a similar US one with less games. Not digital only.

Not sure if it's only an EU promotion, but the direct says it works with both physical and digital copies of Mario Kart 8. The free game you receive is a digital code though.

Great great great! Thank you for clarifying that for me :)

I don't understand the balloon battle video. Why are they on a regular track? It was boring as fuck. That said, the rest of the game looks amazing! I'm annoyed that NA only gets to choose from 4 games tho. I have 3 of them already!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ok, it's amazing how (this is clear listening Konno speaking about the game) how the anti-gravity concept somehow helped the graphic of the game looking so great, especially thinking about MKWii that wasn't so great visually. The fact that the gravity forced them to create a lot of curved design in the tracks, the fact that everything all around can be part of the track, that pusehd them is "using a lot of polygons" exploiting Wii U power.

it is also very interesting to note how they chose (I agree with this) to kept the camera fixed to avoid motion sickness, and how the new mechanics will make the replays very interesting to be seen, because you'll notice all the crazy anti-gravity tricks you have done during the race. And probably this also pushed them into the creation of MK Tv...

This Direct is great, it is very professional and stylish, and absorbed somehow the feeling of some of the best Iwata asks

Varjet

I've honestly never seen someone that willingly uses Mario in the spin-offs.
Hello, nice to meet you.
I prefer the Mario Kart Wii line up at this point. Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Dry Bowser, Bowser Jr and King Boo were all sacrificed for the Koopalings, Metal Peach and baby Rosalina (And we also lost Birdo and Dry Bones too)...
While I agree with this, I also think that the characters are kinda secondary in Mario Kart anyway.
Plus, there could be DLC :p

edit: Wait, no courses specific for battle mode? Ugh.

$330 gets you:

Deluxe Wii U - $300
Mario Wii Motion Plus Remote - $40
Mario Kart 8 - $60
Another Free Game - $20-$60

That is INSANITY

Top Bottom