• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

ohlawd

ahhh forgot this comes out today. I have it preordered tho.

stil in the middle of Halo 3 and and have to play Halo 4 right after >_>

Nicktendo86

The DLC is out? Gah my mother in law is coming up tonight for dinner as it is her birthday, reckon I can sneak a couple of games in though!

also, wtf an hour to download this thing, why didn't it just preload itself being preordered digital content. Maybe I'm spoiled by steam. Welp, there goes any chance of sneaking in a race or two before work.

telling me now i'm supposed to hit the minecarts in wario's gold mine is pretty fucked up, nintendo

It's like those weird bumper boosters in MK8 vanilla. The first time you discover it on like the 6-7th time through you're like wtf. Is this a glitch or some uber strat I must endeavor to keep from everyone else.

have to play Halo 4

image.php

bryehn

How do I initiate the download. When I go into the MK8 shop it just says pre-ordered, please come back on release.

Pila

bryehn check out "download management" on home menu, when I checked there I saw it was already downloading it.

Just had ten minutes, tried the chinese dragoon track. Can't wait to play more!

Effect

Manage to do one time trial of Hyrule Circuit this morning before leaving for work. I figured to activate the Master Sword section I would need to hit all three anti-grav speed boost in that section. Didn't seem to work. Do you have to do it really fast meaning drift into all them without losing speed? If so then you'd likely have to be within a kart to do so as a bike isn't likely to maintain that kind of drift easily?

I went into the race with Link and his bike. Really need practice with bikes in general I think because I kept hitting the wall in some turns no matter what.

DaBoss

How do I initiate the download. When I go into the MK8 shop it just says pre-ordered, please come back on release.
I had it download a patch on the main menu, it installed, and then when I started MK8, it told me right away the DLC is available to download. Check to see if you installed the patch or not.

I don't remember the version number.

NEO0MJ

Was I the only one waiting for the announcer in Mute City to say "you got boost power!" after they completed the second lap?

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
DLC done right, indeed.

I'm really impressed with the effort Nintendo put into these courses. For the most part, they are as good, if not better, than the courses included with the game.

Excite Bike looked like a boring course, but it is surprisingly fun (and more technical than appears at first glance).

Stylistically, I really like the look and sound of Dragon Driftway.

And Mute City looks incredible, and is blazingly fast (even on 100 cc) and proves two things:
  1. We need a new F-zero!
  2. It's time for a 200 or 250 cc cup in Mario Kart.
And of course, Hyrule Circuit is just awesome... it's definitely time for Nintendo Kart, as just changing coins to jewels and swapping out the sound effects really does freshen up the experience.

My only disappointment with the DLC is Rainbow Road. It's one of my favorite SNES tracks (and favorite Rainbow Road), but they've kind of dumbed it down here. Course is too wide, plus they've added arrows that tell you which direction to turn. It looks fantastic, just not as fun to play as more technical courses (like Yoshi Circuit).

Also, the Epona bike is a sport bike; I despise inside drifting so it's useless to me.

Just downloaded the DLC and update, got my Mario racing suit, and 3-starred both new cups. This is how you do DLC right. Simply fantastic.

Also tried to race online for a bit, but got a comm error halfway through my first race (Ice Ice Outpost). Heh. Looks like the online issues still aren't fixed.

Not all of the new courses are winners in my opinion - Ice Ice Outpost is incredibly bland and disappointing and I've never been the biggest fan of GCN Yoshi's Circuit. Still, they look gorgeous and are nice to have, and the magnificence of SNES Rainbow Road, Mute City, and Dragon Driftway and the rest of them being so great more than make up for that.

Really am bummed about Ice Ice Outpost, though. I love ice/snow tracks and was really hoping to get a good one since GCN Sherbet Land is so "meh" (seriously, could they have picked a worse retro ice track to bring back?).

SNES Rainbow Road > Mute City > Dragon Driftway > Excitebike Arena > Wii Wario's Gold Mine > Hyrule Circuit > GCN Yoshi's Circuit > Ice Ice Outpost

daydream

Banned
God, hate hate hate it when my drift goes off in the wrong direction.

Also, lmao @ the people running against the sword pedestal when the ramp wasn't activated. :p

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
also, wtf an hour to download this thing, why didn't it just preload itself being preordered digital content.

It only took me 10 minutes to download it this morning.

But I agree with you, it should have downloaded automatically during the night if you preordered. If Nintendo can push out system updates and demos during the night, they should be able to push out purchased DLC!

I'm looking forward to trying out Link. I'm getting a little tired of hearing Waluigi's WAAAAAAAAHS all the time, as much as it pains me to say it. :(

How is the online looking post-update? I can imagine everyone is either playing as Link or Cat Peach online...!

Top Bottom