• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

Kalaidos

Neo Member
I got to say, I don't mind the broad track on SNES Rainbow Road in any way. Seems like it'll be frantic enough with 12 players.

All at least pretty good tracks.

Nitpicking time:

-The track select images are worse than any which came with the game. While some of those older ones do feature objects not exactly as they appear on the track, they're at least made to look like they belong, and they use ones that feature somewhat in the track. E.g. Thwomp Ruins' thwomp looks like it's positioned on its stone platform, the dolphin in dolphin shoals and the music note from melody motorway look like they're jumping.

Whereas here all tracks bar mute city and hyrule circuit have an out of place object overlayed on another shot of the track; The electric thwomp is flying in space; there's a yoshi sign overlooking yoshi circuit somewhere; the excitebike racer is angled strangely to the track; the minecart is shown somewhere it doesn't appear on the track (that one is least noticeable); there are two toads floating in the sky somewhere, waving. I'd say the worst is dragon driftway, showing the starting line structure facing a washed out shot of the side of the dragon, when having played it, it obviously leads straight to gobblegut(that's right, i know what i'm talking about)'s mouth. This ain't top level polish!

-Almost the same, more generic trophy for both new cups. If they're gonna make one, why not another? (They could have had that model lying around i guess)

-No new stamps. Now there's literally, absolutely and completely no point in doing the time trials.

God Tier:
Mute City, Dragon Driftway, Excitebike Arena

Good Tier:
Hyrule Circuit, Wario's Gold Mine

Old Manondorf Tier:
Ice Ice Outpost

Haven't Played on Wii U But They're Probably Great Tier:
Rainbow Road, Yoshi Circuit

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
I like all the tracks but if I'd have to rank them:

1. Yoshi Circuit - They tightened up the original and made this an instant classic, imo. Flawless track design.

Not my favorite, but definitely a winner. I love all the switchbacks, it's the kind of course I'll do well at once I memorize all the turns.

Has anyone just tried playing regular online?

Surprisingly, everyone has the DLC there apparently, as I've not had a single non-DLC race, and I've raced with about 5 different sets of people tonight. Very impressed- was worried before that they won't be accessible online.

Also, they seem to have fixed the points system.

Well done Nintendo EAD- best DLC ever made!

NTom64

Has anyone just tried playing regular online?

Surprisingly, everyone has the DLC there apparently, as I've not had a single non-DLC race, and I've raced with about 5 different sets of people tonight. Very impressed- was worried before that they won't be accessible online.

Also, they seem to have fixed the points system.

Well done Nintendo EAD- best DLC ever made!

Yeah, it works really well online.

Grizzo

I was looking for the old thread in the Gaming Community section and I didn't know where it went... now I've got my answer!

Alright, back in the game!

jorgejjvr

Man link and the master cycle are doing wonders for me! That lead tho in moo moo Meadows haha I think second place got a bullet bull right?

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
I got to say, I don't mind the broad track on SNES Rainbow Road in any way. Seems like it'll be frantic enough with 12 players.

It totally defeats the purpose of SNES Rainbow Road, IMO.

That, and putting arrows that tell you which direction to turn. I guess we should be happy they didn't dumb it down further with guard rails!?

Amazing tracks.

Rainbow road is so beautiful.

Mute city is tear jerking.

I died when tanooki mario turned into statue mode.

Uhhh I think I used to be pretty good?

haven't been online in a long time and I'm getting my ass handed to me :-(

Grizzo

ugh I hate Wario's Gold Mine just as much as I did back then

I cant log in the frantic tournament because it says I dont have the DLC which obviously I have :(

are you sure it worked? because the first time I tried to download it, it stopped at 99% and told me there was a connection error. Try to download it again!

Tiamant

ugh I hate Wario's Gold Mine just as much as I did back then

are you sure it worked? because the first time I tried to download it, it stopped at 99% and told me there was a connection error. Try to download it again!

Ive played both cups in single player so yeah, it should work.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
jpg

Reckon these are hints for future DLC? Pretty sure those assets for Falcon, Fox, Kirby and Samus are new.

jorgejjvr

What's up with ME always getting blue shell at the finish line, there was never a blue then I step in first last minute and bam blue xD

Grizzo

Hyrule Circuit is great too! Really impressed by the overall quality of these tracks!

And I just stole the star of someone's Crazy 8... sorry
but not really

braves01

Banned
My preliminary ranking of the new tracks. I imagine it will change as I play more, but nevertheless:

1. Ice Ice Outpost - Great new track, love all the branching paths and risky shortcuts
  2. Mute City - I hope people do some crazy things with time trials on this since it seems like you could be boosting the whole race
  3. Hyrule Castle - So much fanservice I kinda want Hyrule Warriors now
  4. Wario's Mines - I liked on Wii and I like it here
  5. Excitebike - Not as dynamic a track as I thought it'd be, but still quite fun
  6. Dragon track - Props for all the anti-grav on this one, but a pretty simple track overall
  7. SNES Rainbow Road - No strong feelings for this, dare I say there are now too many Rainbow Road variations in the game
  8. Yoshi's Circuit - Too many turns, and I felt the same way in DD

Tried all the tracks offline. I love them. Then had one race on Wario's Gold Mine on frantic mode before heading to class. That's probably all I'm gong to play until the weekend D:

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Excitebike is pretty crazy, so hard to see what's in front of you sometimes. And it's randomized? Oh man.

Wait... what?

I only had the chance to play it once this morning... is it actually randomized? That would pretty much make it the best Mario Kart course ever.

Top Bottom