• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

Lunar15

Hey GAF, it's been a while since I've played this, but did they add a bunch of lines for Rosalina? She says a lot of things I've never heard her say before, and she does more tricks and stuff. Maybe I'm just misremembering.

Gartooth

This DLC is incredible, and the best one I've bought in a long time. I don't think all the content included amounts to hits, but the highs sure as hell make up for the lows. Mute City is now one of my favorite Mario Kart courses ever, and I hope that iterations of it become a regular appearance in the series. Really big shame that Captain Falcon wasn't included with all the other F-Zero fanservice, but still Nintendo did a hell of a job with this. Waiting until May for the Animal Crossing track is going to be a killer.

Azure J

THAT MUTE CITY WOW

They so nailed it, guys. All those boost pads.. it's a wonderful thing.

From the first moment I played long segments of antigrav in Electrodome and Rainbow Road 8, I knew I wanted a stage just like that. What I didn't realize was just how RIGHT it would feel.

It also gave me my first ever taste of F-Zero and now I want more.

There is simply nothing more satisfying than nailing a full inside drift for large portions of the track watching as the earth becomes the sky beyond the track and vice versa again.

Whoever threw that bomb onto the shortcut of Cloudtop is a diabolical villain.

088Gv2B.gif

Neiteio

THAT MUTE CITY WOW

They so nailed it, guys. All those boost pads.. it's a wonderful thing.

It really is, it gives you such a rush... I WANT A REAL F-ZERO GAME NOW PLS NINTENDO.
It's not just the boost pads, or the anti-gravity, but those two elements in combination with a tube-like track. You can't go all the way around it like you can in some F-Zero tracks, but just the fact it's curved makes it exhilarating to zip along at high speed. :-D

Neiteio

From the first moment I played long segments of antigrav in Electrodome and Rainbow Road 8, I knew I wanted a stage just like that. What I didn't realize was just how RIGHT it would feel.

It also gave me my first ever taste of F-Zero and now I want more.

There is simply nothing more satisfying than nailing a full inside drift for large portions of the track watching as the earth becomes the sky beyond the track and vice versa again.
Oh Azure, you haven't played F-Zero before? I think you'd really like the series. Download F-Zero X on the Wii VC!

I've only played a handful of matches on my own, but Nintendo and their attention to detail, it's sickening (in a good way).

Of course, SNES Rainbow Road is all I needed, and it was done very, very well. But man, that Excite Bike track! I bought the original NES game on the Wii U VC not even a week ago, but I may not play it that much, now that that track exists in MK8.

What took the cake was the Hyrule stage. Rupees. One of the most epic themes of all time. Driving around and getting a "cameo" from the Master Sword!

I haven't even played any of the other tracks, but I'm very impressed with what Nintendo has done here.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
In the original Yoshi Circuit, the helicopter was the Yoshi Helicopter transformation from Yoshi's Island, now it's just the regular MK8 helicopter.

DOWNGRADEATHON.

Azure J

Yoshi circuit is tense.

Yoshi Circuit is real as fuck. It's hot out on these Double Dash streets!

Seriously it's like an ascended version of Mario Circuit 8/Mario Circuit GBA from the vanilla game. The compactness really ups the tension and in frantic mode, everyone's a killer.

Oh Azure, you haven't played F-Zero before? I think you'd really like the series. Download F-Zero X on the Wii VC!

I've been told quite a few times to try the series. I don't doubt the quality but I just never had the opportunity to try GX. Will look into X though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is it me or do the DLC tracks look even better than the original Kart tracks?

I'd go so far as to say this round of DLC is easily the best thing Nintendo has ever done graphical.

Revven

GGs everybody who I played with tonight, was fun!

Impressions of the DLC: I fucking love it, except... there's two issues I have with two different courses.

1) They removed the ridiculously awesome secret and hard shortcut from Yoshi Circuit! WHY!? That was literally the coolest thing about that track! It was even in the DS version of the course, why did they feel the need to remove it completely!? I mean yeah, it required a 'shroom but it wasn't like it was a bad shortcut -- maybe they based it on how often people took it or something from the DS version? I dunno.

2) Green Ruppees are hard to see. Kind of makes the design choice a negative to me because the ruppees blend in so well with the... greenery and scenery in general. Just a nitpick, I love the fanservice of it but yeah... minor gripe of mine -- I almost FORGET to get coins because I don't see the 'yellow' coin as the ruppees are hard to see, at least for me at times (maybe I'm just too focused on the race itself too during that track lol).

Other than those two gripes, I love it. Definitely going to be playing a lot this weekend (or as much as I can). Not sure if I can promise to keep playing for the next few weeks because I am nearing the end of my college semester and things are starting to ramp up in terms of what I need to get done BUT I will play with ya'll as much as I can. (Going to be hard to balance this, Bayo 2, Pokemon, and Smash Wii U though lol).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
... What in the world?

I'm racing in the NeoGAF Frantic Tournament: Why/How is everyone SO good? Damn, I know I'm not an awesome player or anything, but I think I average 12-10th place finishes (with one 2nd on Rainbow Road SNES) through five races. Damn, NeoGAF Tournament group is awesome at this game!

... How do I get better? Jeesh. Maybe I'll stick to playing Worldwide games, I never finish worse than half the group there.

Top Bottom