• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I will say that Link looks great on a bike but looks plain goofy whenever he uses a kart like his legs are too long or something.

So I bought this today just cause it's Mario Kart DLC hoping it would be good...

.....And it's AMAZING!!

The Hyrule, F-Zero, and Excitebike tracks... Oh my GOD!!

Just makes me want zelda Wii U even more, if that's even possible.

ffdgh

Speaking of bikes, master cycle and blue falcon gives a nice speed buff for lightweights. Having fun doing well with lakitu on master cycle. :D

Roo

You know, I wouldn't mind a Zelda game looking the way Hyrule Circuit does.
Everything looks so amazing I honestly can't believe it's part of a DLC pack.

Which tournament are you guys playing in? I joined the Neogaf DLC Normal Tournament and there's no action here. I'm the only person on the globe :(

Dimmle

I want to talk about the increasing presence of big industry in Mario Kart (Ice Ice Outpost providing yet another example) and why Wario is implementing a serfdom of Shy Guys to do his gold mining.

I want answers.

Seik

Banned
You know, I wouldn't mind a Zelda game looking the way Hyrule Circuit does.
Everything looks so amazing I honestly can't believe it's part of a DLC pack.

It's all in the title, man. DLC done right and it's damn true. :D

Can't believe how much content we're getting either.

Dad

I want to talk about the increasing presence of big industry in Mario Kart (Ice Ice Outpost providing yet another example) and why Wario is implementing a serfdom of Shy Guys to do his gold mining.

I want answers.

Rising cost of game development is taking its toll.

Azure J

I want answers.

You think retro Rainbow Road 64 got spruced up in an attempt to bring tourism bucks to New Mushroom City?

Which tournament are you guys playing in? I joined the Neogaf DLC Normal Tournament and there's no action here. I'm the only person on the globe :(
Same deal whenever I try to play on a Normal ruleset lobby; Frantic is mindnumbingly boring and does nothing to remedy the item balancing in MK8, yet it's the most popular. Go figure.

Played the DLC yesterday and it is AWESOME!!

Link's bike is my new go-to vehicle. I'm glad Link is the same weight class as Rosalina too (didn't expect anything else, really), so I can freely switch between those two.

The new tracks are GODDAMN AMAZING!!!
Let's start at with the Egg Cup tracks:

Yoshi Circuit: Just as amazing as it was in Double Dash and DS. Can't say anymore. It's just awesome.

Excitebike Arena: Very simple but very awesome. Reminds me of Baby Park for very obvious reasons, but with way more bumpers and other catches. The Excitebike remix that plays on this course is fantastic and brutally catchy. I love everything about this track, even its simplicity.

Dragon Driftway: Now we're getting somewhere. This course is all sorts of awesome and beautiful. The Japanese themed music, the way you're racing on a motherfucking dragon and everything else about it is awesome.
Reminds me of the snake path Goku had to travel to get to Master Kaio in DBZ. That's a good thing, btw.

Mute City: Nintendo won't give us another F-Zero (WHY?!) but at least they give us an AWESOME F-Zero track with all kinds of easter eggs, starting at the intro fanfare to the results screen. The music track is beautifully rearranged into an MK8 styled version of Mute City and Captain Falcon even appears on an advertising board and orders you to "Show me your moves!" It's awesome. Definitely the best track in this whole DLC pack for me.

Now for the Triforce cup tracks:

Wario's Gold Mine: I didn't much care for MKWii. I didn't play it very often and don't know all of the tracks. I remember this track though and it was definitely one of the better ones. I like this version as well, as well as the music with the added working Shy Guys in the mining area. How come Wario and Waluigi based tracks never fail to be awesome?!

Rainbow Road SNES: I always, ALWAYS hated the SNES Rainbow Road. It was unnecessarily hard to even stay on that narrow track and it was even harder to get the turns without falling off. This is why I thank Nintendo for making this track wider than the original so it's actually playable and with that a LOT of fun! Really like it. Simple design once again (for obvious reasons, once again) but still pretty cool. Invincible Thwomps hate your guts.

Ice Ice Outpost: Now we get to it, the only track that I really don't care for. The music is cool and all (no pun intended), but the track itself is soooo mediocre. It should've been one of the first tracks in Mushroom Cup. I think Mario Kart Stadium would've made a finer DLC track than this one here.
IIO reminds me too much of Sugar Rush Sweet Sweet Canyon, a track which I liked, but we don't need two of the same tracks with just another coat of paint.

Hyrule Circuit: Yupp. That hit everything in my feels. I totally nerdgasmed when I played this track. Coins are Rupees (although I wished they changed the Coin item into a blue rupee instead of a green one, just because you're getting more than one out of it), The item jingle becomes Zelda's treasure chest jingle and I think I even saw Death Mountain way in the distance.
It's my second favorite track after Mute City of this DLC, but both of them are very close.

All in all, if MK8 got a 10/10 for me, this DLC totally gets a 9.5/10, mainly because Ice Ice Outpost feels like a simple rehash of Sweet Sweet Canyon, as mentioned.

Very fucking awesome all around, though.

Omg, I decided to go through the shortcut at the end of Ice Ice Outpost at the last second. Went from 8th to 5th. B)
That was the first time I went through it lol

vazel

Banned
It's amazing to think there's more content on the way all for only $12. I wonder how much profit Nintendo is making on this DLC or if they view this mainly as a way to push sales of the main game.

Socreges

Banned
It's amazing to think there's more content on the way all for only $12. I wonder how much profit Nintendo is making on this DLC or if they view this mainly as a way to push sales of the main game.
Of course they'll make profit. Designing 8 new tracks and a few new player models isn't all that expensive when everything else is already in place. The courses were also designed, it would seem, at the end of MK8 development which means DLC content would have been made pretty efficiently.

Teknoman

The Mushroom Kingdom itself is pretty modern now, but so is Bowser's kingdom. REXA for space related afairs ever since all that stuff from Galaxy, and now Toad is conducting uncharted land exploration (hell even his polar expedition is supposed to last a year lol).

Honestly all this expanded stuff in Mario Kart, Galaxy, and 3D world make me want a new Mario RPG...on the WiiU.

Roo

Wish Baby Park was here.
Make it as long as Excitebike Arena but in a plain surface with all the attractions of a real theme park :(

Also LOL at the game picking Wario Stadium over your fave hahah

Top Bottom