• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

I disagree, I think the way it is now is perfect for 12 players, especially with some of the items that exist in Mario Kart nowadays.

If by perfect you mean boring then yes, it's perfect :p

Maybe bikes have too much of an advantage there but it's far, far easier to navigate than in MK7.

What type of hateful person would see SNES Rainbow Road and Mute City available but choose Bone-Dry Dunes?

Must be the same type of person that uses the Blue Falcon with giant tires.

Bah! *dismissive hand wave*

LOL, I think that part of the problem is the Thwomps offer to much defense against projectiles. There were several times last night where reds and greens were nullified by them and it even makes fireballing more difficult unless you catch someone trying to squeeze in between them.

Neiteio

LOL, I think that part of the problem is the Thwomps offer to much defense against projectiles. There were several times last night where reds and greens were nullified by them and it even makes fireballing more difficult unless you catch someone trying to squeeze in between them.
I dunno, I'm sure that's the case sometimes, but if your timing is slightly different those guys can stonewall you in a crowded 12-player field, so I can see them both helping and hindering, depending on luck of the draw :-O

One thing's for certain: Those mountains in the background with the cascading lights are so pretty. ;_;

Roo

Whenever I look behind me in Frantic I'm like "nope, nope", things look less nasty ahead
You:
run-away-o.gif

I dunno, I'm sure that's the case sometimes, but if your timing is slightly different those guys can stonewall you in a crowded 12-player field, so I can see them both helping and hindering, depending on luck of the draw :-O

One thing's for certain: Those mountains in the background with the cascading lights are so pretty. ;_;

The lighting design is just out of this world. I think that I'm in the minority that loves the flat tracks in MK8 so I'm really glad that they added it even though it was just in the last game.

The track diversity in this game is so good and there's still 8 more (at least) to go :D

Neiteio

Hahaha, this is a perfect summation of Mario Kart 8. XD

The lighting design is just out of this world. I think that I'm in the minority that loves the flat tracks in MK8 so I'm really glad that they added it even though it was just in the last game.

The track diversity in this game is so good and there's still 8 more (at least) to go :D
There's something very appealing about the "brick" design in the remakes of the flat courses, whether it's the 3D blocks lining GBA Mario Circuit, or the square pavers that make up SNES Rainbow Road.

Forkball

I swear I have the worst item luck. I know everyone thinks this, but I believe I truly hold the title. Insane nonsense that happened in the past few GAF races:

+Got an item box, then immediately got hit by a random Bob Omb. I lost my item. Next guy with star hits me. Then guy with boom box hits me.
+Saw the guy ahead of me get a Bullet Bill when I was in last place (multiple times)
+A bob-omb fucking ricochets off of the castle in Royal Raceway and hits me dead on
+I use the side ramp in the Master Sword room in Hyrule Circuit and somehow get hit by a reverse green shell
+Boost into a pirahna plant, followed by a reverse green shell
+Hit Sendou with a Pirahna plant, and he fucking BOOSTS ahead of me like nothing happened
+I have a throw:get hit by red shell ratio of 1:1,000,000

Neiteio

I'm trying to think what the real-life equivalent of winning in Mario Kart would be.

Maybe if everyone stood together on a street corner and threw buckets of water in the air, and whoever was least wet after the water came down is the winner?

Omnicent

I'm headed home later today to join you guys in playing the DLC tracks.

http://i.imgur.com/4Bm7LK5.gif

someone needs to update that pick so he pelvic thrusts out red shells (he thrusts 3 times, so triple reds would be perfect). And then he passes 3rd, 2nd, and 1st.
Then gets hit with a blue shell. As the explosion happens "is Ready" goes away leaving "My Body". This way
it will be an accurate representation of GAFcc.

I'd do it but my photoshoop skills are out of practice.

I played the DLC last night and was really, really pleased. The download took longer than I hoped, though.

I think I would rate the new tracks: Hyrule Circuit > Mute City > Dragon Driftway > Ice Ice > Excitebike

But they all pleased me. :)

Azure J

Camjo-Z, Chaosblade and Soul Lab (expecially this ninja Soul Lab) are the GRIMIEST Mario Kart players I've encountered in all my time playing Mario Kart 8.

Move over Papercuts

Ice Ice is not a great track, by any means. I'm not seeing what others are seeing in this one.

Dragon Driftway is a better FZero track design than Mute City.

Rainbow Road is too wide.

Hyrule track is bad once you get past the rupee novelty.

Yoshi is pretty good. Never realized it before even when it was remade for... DS?

Wario Mine. Nah.

Excite is cool.

Egg Cup is better than Triforce Cup.

Azure J

Oh fuck, Yoshi's Hood

Edit: Nope, Icy Icy Outpost because someone picked random. Don't know if good luck or bad luck.

Also I finally "get" IIO. Level is fun as fuck. Got too greedy going for the last shortcut before the flag though.

Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z, Chaosblade and Soul Lab (expecially this ninja Soul Lab) are the GRIMIEST Mario Kart players I've encountered in all my time playing Mario Kart 8.

Move over Papercuts

i usually play normal so i'm not used to getting constantly gangbanged by items

Grizzo

I just bumped into a Mario Tanuki on a bike next to me for no reason

I love when Wario gets all obnoxious

I also hit someone with a star while he was in the air... that's not cool I'll admit it :(

I am really, really terrible at this game. I bought it at launch and still don't have all the characters unlocked because I can't beat most cups at 150CC.

Neiteio

You know that anti-gravity section in Ice Ice Outpost, where the twin tracks arc into the sky in a steep spiral? Exhilarating.

Azure J

what have I done azure j? :D
Not sure which character u were...

On Toad Harbor you hit me perfectly with all three attempts using your Boomerang. Once from behind, TWICE from in front of me. I went from 1st to 8th.

On another note, fuck yeah dropping mushrooms in front of myself after getting hit with lightning. Everyone else loses their items and momentum and I just comfortably grab that second place. :lol :lol :lol

Grizzo

I really hate Wario's Gold Mine

There is something about the layout of the track that bugs me

Plus those bats just get on my nerves

Edit: now I know why, it's because I always get pushed off the track by other players D:

Top Bottom