• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

LOL, I think that part of the problem is the Thwomps offer to much defense against projectiles. There were several times last night where reds and greens were nullified by them and it even makes fireballing more difficult unless you catch someone trying to squeeze in between them.
I don't see how defense in a Mario Kart game is a bad thing (with there being far too little of it as it is), much less in the insufferable clusterfuck that is Frantic.

Ice Ice is not a great track, by any means. I'm not seeing what others are seeing in this one.

I like the tricky shortcuts, and the way the track splits and rejoins is cool too.

Hyrule track is bad once you get past the rupee novelty.

Why? The Master Sword ramp trick is cool, it's got some great winding turns for drifting, plenty of spots for mushroom boosts to cut over grass, and it looks incredible.

It's funny that you like the Yoshi track, I have a hard time with that one because it's so cramped. Get hit by one item you're getting hit by 3, and it's so hard to fight back through the pack.

xandaca

My track reviews for the hell of it:

Mute City: Looks gorgeous and has a fantastic sense of speed throughout, with almost non-stop boosting and permanent anti-gravity. The shortcut at the end is great fun to pull off, even if - as with most MK8 shortcuts - it doesn't actually save much time. 9/10

Yoshi Circuit: The best non-Baby Park track from the mostly terrible Double Dash!!, it's easy to see why Yoshi has been brought back for a third time. It's a fantastic track for pure racing skill, with a really useful shortcut (shame the second one was cut, again) and an inspired idea for a layout. Not sure why the helicopter isn't Yoshi anymore, though. 8/10

Excitebike Arena: The most straightforward track layout in the game produces, arguably, one of the most enjoyable races. It's havoc from start to finish, with lengthy straights turning green shells into long-range torpedos. The variable track elements mix things up a little, though their effect isn't particularly noticeable once you get going. 8/10

Dragon Driftway: Probably the twistiest, loopiest track in the game, making it all the more important to know your racing line before heading in. Mistiming a powerslide can be deadly here, with several sharp corners seemingly designed to punish imprecision. Might wear out its welcome eventually, but an enjoyably challenging track. 8/10

Ice Ice Outpost: On the face of it, this is a pretty unambitious track, but swapping between lanes is more fun than it has any right to be, the shortcuts are fun and it feels chaotic in the enjoyable way. Very solid. 7/10

Hyrule Circuit: Enjoyable, but nothing special. The attention to detail is the best part of this track, though considering the rich history of the series which inspired it, it feels rather bland. Good 'puzzle' shortcut, but in racing terms, there's not much else of note. 6/10

Wario Goldmine: Improved over the Wii version, though I'm not sure how or why considering how few changes have been made. Gone from being a bit of a bore to a solid little circuit, the new anti-grav section is a positive change, but that's about it. 5/10

SNES Rainbow Road: Cards on the table, I've rarely enjoyed remakes of the SNES tracks (Donut Plains 3 being one of the better ones) and this feels no different. It's pretty boring to race on, the least visually interesting of the game's now trio of Rainbow Roads, and feels very much like a design from an era with major limits on what was possible. 4/10

Soul Lab

On Toad Harbor you hit me perfectly with all three attempts using your Boomerang. Once from behind, TWICE from in front of me. I went from 1st to 8th.

On another note, fuck yeah dropping mushrooms in front of myself after getting hit with lightning. Everyone else loses their items and momentum and I just comfortably grab that second place. :lol :lol :lol

oh now i remember! Didn't know that all three attempts were succesful :D
Playing against GAF Members is really fun. My first experience today

I like the tricky shortcuts, and the way the track splits and rejoins is cool too.
The track has no shortcuts. Those "shortcuts" are actually longcuts, you see. Taking the regular path tightly and charging up an orange is faster.

However, it's still a pretty fun course due to all of the sharp turns and lowish traction. The awesome music helps too.

I don't see how defense in a Mario Kart game is a bad thing (with there being far too little of it as it is), much less in the insufferable clusterfuck that is Frantic.

It's not so much of a problem it's just that on RR it's makes an already safe track a bit too safe. On Thwomp Ruins the balance is pretty much perfect and the pinballs in Waluigi Pinball acted the same way too.

Speaking of which if SNES RR could make another appearance this quick I'd love to see W. Pinball make a return in the next DLC set.

My track reviews for the hell of it:

Mute City: Looks gorgeous and has a fantastic sense of speed throughout, with almost non-stop boosting and permanent anti-gravity. The shortcut at the end is great fun to pull off, even if - as with most MK8 shortcuts - it doesn't actually save much time. 9/10
That shortcut at the end? You gotta hold your drift until you land on the track itself, skipping the middle ramp, to get the most of it. Then you release that orange and there you go. If you do it the "intended" way you don't save that much time. You really do want to skip that ramp.

Roo

Hahaha, this is a perfect summation of Mario Kart 8. XD

There's something very appealing about the "brick" design in the remakes of the flat courses, whether it's the 3D blocks lining GBA Mario Circuit, or the square pavers that make up SNES Rainbow Road.

Fun fact: Even tho they look similar, all of the Rainbow Roads in this game have different pavers design.

Azure J

I just want to know what the fuck happened that I got hit by1up's DK who was already out of the stage bounds on the last turn of Electrodome. Never mind the Bullet Bill that wizzed by

xandaca

That shortcut at the end? You gotta hold your drift until you land on the track itself, skipping the middle ramp, to get the most of it. Then you release that orange and there you go. If you do it the "intended" way you don't save that much time. You really do want to skip that ramp.

Interesting, I'd never thought of that. Thanks for the tip - now watch me fail at it over and over and over again.

Grizzo

Whoa I was in 1st place on Yoshi's Circuit for like five seconds! That's a great accomplishment

...communication error. Never change, MK8. Never change.

Azure J

Dat Rainbow Road...Azure J my nigga I hate it had to be him

Maaaaaaan. That third lap opening was rough. I'm usually so beast about RR with the in drift bikes but 1up came out of nowhere and spin boosted me. :(

That said, Yoshi's Circuit is still as gully as ever. I'll take that 5th with pride.

Dudes trying to run a Bullet Bill train on my girl Rosalina thooo

MicH

Connection error? Hm

Yeah, that Yoshi's Circuit was insane. SO many stars! I think I got run over by 4 just before the finish line :lol

Top Bottom