• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

Neiteio

I really hate Wario's Gold Mine

There is something about the layout of the track that bugs me

Plus those bats just get on my nerves
As someone who loves theme parks like Cedar Point, I adore Wario Gold Mine. It's like a rollercoaster, dropping you for speed and playing with your line of sight. Great setting, too. :)

Azure J

I really hate Wario's Gold Mine

There is something about the layout of the track that bugs me

Plus those bats just get on my nerves

Edit: now I know why, it's because I always get pushed off the track by other players D:

The bats got really buffed between Wii and 8. At the same time, I way prefer the track now than I did in Wii.

It's still no Wario Stadium/Colosseum though.

J@hranimo

Banned
I am thankful for this DLC not just for the amazing tracks, but for one kart: Blue Falcon.

I can actually come back and almost win races now!

Shit, the GF and i havent played since launch month. We were good... but has there been a skill gap forming for those who have been playing constantly? Do we have any hope whatsoever coming back for the DLC? lol

Azure J

Is Mute City going to be the new Grumble Volcano where everyone always tries to fuck me out of the number one spot?

Without realizing that your resistance only makes me better?

Grizzo

was there a communication error for anyone else?

I got fed up with Wario's Gold Mine and decided to drive in reverse during the last lap and Lakitu just put me back in the right direction after 5 seconds, and then I tried it again and I got an error and now I'm out of the room

Lol now I can't join it back, it's like I was banned of the room or something

Edit: okay I'm back Serves me right for giving up on the game I guess. Next time I'll do my best to finish it but man... I really dislike that track, especially when we play it twice in 3 races.

Dénouement;138855889 said:
I played the DLC last night and was really, really pleased. The download took longer than I hoped, though.

I think I would rate the new tracks: Hyrule Circuit > Mute City > Dragon Driftway > Ice Ice > Excitebike

But they all pleased me. :)

Meant to do this last night. If I were to rank the new tracks it would go

Mute City > Hyrule Circuit >Ice Ice >Excitebike > Dragon Driftway

Mute City: Has it all. Fanservice, great visuals, and a not too hard, not too easy track design.

Hyrule: Not quite as good as Mute City, but still very fun and pretty.

Ice Ice: just a fun, simple track. Evil shortcut at the end though.

Excitebike: Not a bad track, but I see so many people saying it's a blast in frantic, and I'm not seeing it. Rather boring.

Dragon: way too hard imo with all those tight turns, add in Frantic and it's much too easy to get behind. It's like Rainbow Road combined with Grumble Volcano and made 10 times worse! Love the aesthetic though.

Of the retro tracks if go

Wario > Rainbow Road > Yoshi

Wario: lovely upgrade to visuals, and it's awesome that the carts don't hurt you now.

Rainbow Road: Maybe a bit too easy with how wide it is, but it's a lovely track.

Yoshi: Not bad, just the weakest of the three

was there a communication error for anyone else?

I got fed up with Wario's Gold Mine and decided to drive in reverse during the last lap and Lakitu just put me back in the right direction after 5 seconds, and then I tried it again and I got an error and now I'm out of the room

Lol now I can't join it back, it's like I was banned of the room or something

LOL. It's taken me out before as well when I've given up and just drove backwards.

- shit I really messed up at the end there

Vespene

12 dollars. Twelve.

It makes my head spin that in the age of micropayments and season passes Nintendo basically doubles the amount of content in one of their biggest games for the cost of splurging for lunch at a "nicer" fast food joint.
And it's not the usual "DLC grade" "cutting room floor" "buy our B-tier content" crap, either. It's all right up with the quality of the main game.

So goddamn classy.

LegacyX?

I like Wario's Gold Mine but I think it was a wasted opportunity for an HD remake. It already looked pretty good on the Wii.

Actually, I think it might have been the only Wii track that I actually liked.

Grizzo

LOL. It's taken me out before as well when I've given up and just drove backwards.

- shit I really messed up at the end there

I see! That's sort of like an "anti-troll" measure haha

That's pretty smart. I wish they would just tell us "stop doing that or you'll get banned" instead of just throwing us out like that though

I am AbbyVampire so if you raced me I want t say good games! I truly suck tho. D:

I have been wanting to ask: I have tried a few karts/bikes and can only play on the Varmint. No matter what I try, anything else turns too quickly or too slowly when I drift. Is there any other kart/bike that has a exact turning speed? I want to change it up. I am tired of the Varmint. >_>

I really wanted to play with Link's Bike but it was not meant to be. :(

Azure J

Man, Hyrule Circuit is cursed. I frontrun the entire race and A-dog gets one red shell on the last third of the circuit and now I can't place first on the track. :(

MicH

My god I suck at this game. Once I get hit I get hit by a thousand things and get rammed off the track :( And then I spend the rest of the track trying to catch up and failing

Neiteio

Right now I'm rocking Cat Peach in the Silver Arrow / Triforce Tires / Hylian Kite.

Thematically, it's an odd combo that's somewhere between 3D World / the Zelda series / Real Life, but it looks cool and plays well. :)

My god I suck at this game. Once I get hit I get hit by a thousand things and get rammed off the track :( And then I spend the rest of the track trying to catch up and failing

At least you have an excuse. I don't get hit with anything the entire race and still finish last without seeing anybody for most of the race.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I am AbbyVampire so if you raced me I want t say good games! I truly suck tho. D:

I have been wanting to ask: I have tried a few karts/bikes and can only play on the Varmint. No matter what I try, anything else turns too quickly or too slowly when I drift. Is there any other kart/bike that has a exact turning speed? I want to change it up. I am tired of the Varmint. >_>

I really wanted to play with Link's Bike but it was not meant to be. :(

Any bike with the same stats.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/5196/mk8stats.html

Grizzo

Toad's Turnpike... great!

you don't suck, it's just how Frantic mode works haha

Neiteio

At least you have an excuse. I don't get hit with anything the entire race and still finish last without seeing anybody for most of the race.
Don't feel down on yourself. Different people take to different things in different ways. :)

Are you drifting when you go around corners? That makes a world of difference in terms of keeping pace.

Improving one's drifting, and experimenting to find the right kart/bike combo, can really help.

Buzzman

Banned
Hey guys, just bought the add-on content but still can't access it, just tells me to wait for release. I'm in Europe so I don't know if we have different release times?

Azure J

My dude Grizzo HUSTLED to that finish line with his last boost when he saw me cutting through the grass with a star on some RULES OF NATURE shit trying for 5th. :LOL

Top Bottom