• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

I haven't tried online yet but I played through the new cups on 150cc, and I have to say that the track-design is amazing. Just amazing. Such a gorgeous game. That is all!

Zemm

I don't get how anyone can play this with the gamepad, my wiimote batteries ran out so I had to try it and oh my, how uncomfortable? My thumb is still hurting now, one hour later.

Lé Blade Runner;114057121 said:
I haven't tried online yet but I played through the new cups on 150cc, and I have to say that the track-design is amazing. Just amazing. Such a gorgeous game. That is all!

Same, the track design is where I feel 7 dropped the ball. This game hands down has some of the best track design since the DS game. It is killing me I still have three more hours!

m0t0k1

Is it me or are speed boosts really nerfed this game. I used a star and somebody with a mushroom overtook me and not really catching up as fast to normal players. Also when drifting i dont catch up as much as i used too. Mushrooms also seem slower. but still great for corner cuts.

I don't get how anyone can play this with the gamepad, my wiimote batteries ran out so I had to try it and oh my, how uncomfortable? My thumb is still hurting now, one hour later.

I felt the same but I actually got used to it after a while, using it right now online.

Beat all the new tracks in 50cc (lol), this game's just so damn well made. I find myself watching the highlight reels as much as I'm racing, the attention to detail makes it such a joy to watch.

It's the first MK game I've owned so I can't really compare it to the previous games, but I'm liking the antigravity mechanic. The use is well varied, I especially like the tracks that use it for alternative paths (driving on walls) and the couple of tracks that just go proper crazy with it (like the Boo track).

Daisy on a sport bike is how I'm rollin', ever since Mario Kart Wii.
Huh, I'm playing on the gamepad and it's great. I'm using Y for acceleration instead of A. The gamepad just fits my hands perfectly, I don't understand why anyone would want to use a Wiimote of all things instead of it :D

Saves the highlights as favorites so they don't get erased later when you reach the limit.

To star the race replay as a fav. I think it keeps it from being overwritten by recent replays in MKTV.

Edit: beaten with a triple mushroom.

You can save up to six MKTV races.
I use the buttonm for online races I like, so then I can enter the MKTV menu and watch them there, and if they are good, upload them.

EDIT: Beaten like someone that got a coin in first place and was hit with a red shell.

Thanks guys, that's a pretty sweet feature. I haven't messed with Kart TV at all yet.

Is it me or are speed boosts really nerfed this game. I used a star and somebody with a mushroom overtook me and not really catching up as fast to normal players. Also when drifting i dont catch up as much as i used too. Mushrooms also seem slower. but still great for corner cuts.

The trade off is you get less boost, but you also get shorter recovery time. I was surprised how much getting a blue shell in the air did not hurt me. I will gladly take nerfed boosts for faster blue shell recovery.

RomanceDawn

Really? I barely feel a difference between it and the pro controller. Only when I play fighting games is the difference clear. Otherwise it's very comfortable for me.

JLeack

Banned
I just finished my morning work. Headed to Best Buy to pick up my MK8 Wii U! Woo!

I notice this game is getting massive attention. It seems to be a system seller.

dat Mario Kart cycle

boot up the game

1279082592656.jpg

first place for like 20 seconds

hqdefault.jpg

and then the game reminds you of what Mario Kart really is and you end the match in 8th place somehow

3536876-5081392435-idont.gif

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Felt fine to me. Will say my thumb on the A button occasionally gets tired.

I just picked up my copy and while charging my pro controller had to use the gamepad, ... ugh, talk about non-ergonomical.
Holding it doesn't even come close to what it felt holding the 3ds, and by no means it should, but this is almost kid-icarus-controller-holding awkwardness.

Still,... I <3 mk8 so much !!!!!!!!!! the graphics, uuuuu, so much eye candy (can't wait to drink beer while playing it)

Can't wait to get this. Sooooo, NSMBU or Pikmin 3 as my free game.

Discuss.

NSMBU you will finish pretty quick and never touch again. So I would say Pikmin 3 because it is amazing. No offense to the NSMB series, but it was only good as a launch title. 3D World beats it in every category.

Is local co-op a big deal? If so, get NSMBU.
Honestly, co-op in Mario games sucks. I would say Wii Party U is a better MP experience. SP Pikmin 3 hands down though!

m0t0k1

The trade off is you get less boost, but you also get shorter recovery time. I was surprised how much getting a blue shell in the air did not hurt me. I will gladly take nerfed boosts for faster blue shell recovery.

Yeah i noticed recovery is really improved in this game really happy about that. Not only the blue shell but red shells and banana's also and when you fall of a stage its almost instant recovery withouth falling seconds. It is defitnely more advantageous when you are in a big pack but for racing in front it is less advantageous because escaping is way harder now.

Chaos17

How does the free game thing work. Does the website(club nintendo) give you a code to put in your Wii U or something?

Yes,that's pretty much of it.
After you register your game, log into your nintendo club and you should see some kind of pop up/banner on your screen, saying you can pick up your free copy.

kaskade

I think my friend is picking this up and we are going to play together. I forgot I preordered watch dogs and it came in so that killed my budget for the week.

daydream

Banned
Noo, communication error. 12 players were too much to handle. :p Gonna spectate on your asses then.

There's at least two full 12 player games going on at the moment, btw. Awesome!

Jagsrock

Banned
Before work I grabbed donuts at Wal-Mart this morning. Behind me in the checkout line was a little girl with her dad holding a copy of MK8. Actually brought a smile to MY face, seeing firsthand evidence that Nintendo still matters to some kids.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Gamestop guy said 30 pre-orders for Mario Kart. Honestly cannot wait to see how much Wii U units this game pushes. Will have to wait until after work to finish unlocking all tracks...

When I went to pick up MK at Gamestop this morning, I saw 4 people picking up the MK8 console bundle. One guy had his son with him, and he looked liked the happiest kid in the world when he got the console. Was a nice moment to see.

My local GameStop was completely sold out of the MK8 bundles. I'd say Nintendo is selling a lot of units on this...

The last 3 at my gamestop were purchased right in front of me.

Sold out at all the nearest best buys & gamestops :(

Which I guess is good news for the wiiU. Not for me :(

Picked up my copy at Target from the trade in sale thing. While I was getting mine a family came in and bought the Mario Kart Wii U bundle.

It's happening

I went into Best Buy at lunch and snagged the Wii U bundle along with DKTF.

Now I just need to finish the damn day at work.

yoshi_gif_by_gyroesehni-d440u4a.gif

This is good to hear.

Blues1990

I was able to sort out the issues I had with my copy of Mario Kart 8, in which I've mentioned the disk was scratched to oblivion. Apparently, I wasn't the only one, as there were 12 people in line that had the same issue. Take a guess how they felt about it. ;)

At least I was able to get a free $20 Nintendo eShop card (Free Money!), along with a copy that isn't damaged. :D

Oh, and my Nintendo I.D. is ChickenPotPie23, and I hope that people will be able to add me, as I have plenty of room left on my friends list.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
NSMBU you will finish pretty quick and never touch again. So I would say Pikmin 3 because it is amazing. No offense to the NSMB series, but it was only good as a launch title. 3D World beats it in every category.

Yeah. I kinda feel the same way and I've already got Tropical Freeze which I think is a much better platformed.

I was able to sort out the issues I had with my copy of Mario Kart 8, in which I've mentioned the disk was scratched to oblivion. Apparently, I wasn't the only one, as there were 12 people in line that had the same issue. Take a guess how they felt about it. ;)

At least I was able to get a free $20 Nintendo eShop card (Free Money!), along with a copy that isn't damaged. :D

Oh, and my Nintendo I.D. is ChickenPotPie23, and I hope that people will be able to add me, as I have plenty of room left on my friends list.

How was it damaged? Was it a sealed box?

Eiolon

How the hell are you guys so good at this game? I see people going through grass and sand without any power ups and don't get slowed down. People are able to make sharp turns. I'm drifting but still can't turn as sharp so quickly.

I really am glad that the item balance seems to be much better in this game as opposed to MKWii. There's still the occasional Mario Kart Bullshit Moments™ but it seems far more tolerable now.

Even with items it's hard to catch up with people who are doing well, you seem to have to really time your item usage carefully to get any advantage out if it. Not even the blue shell is as big a threat as it once was (it doesn't knock you out as long, you don't lose your item, it can hit others as it travels).

Good stuff all around.

Picked the game up from Best Buy at lunch. Gas voucher in my email and Wind Waker HD downloading at home right now. Now to just get through the rest of the day.

Foshy

the communication errors are just pissing me off right now. i just want to play.

I got the game on Wednesday, online worked fine at first. On Thursday morning, I started getting lots of communication errors, to the point of not being able to finish a single race (if I even managed to join). Tried looking up solutions online, so I ended up giving the Wii U a static IP and put the Google DNS adresses in which seemed to have solved me my problems, as everything was working again.

This evening, however, I've been getting all those communication errors again. Sometimes they appear right when I click on the online option in the game's main menu, sometimes when trying to connect to a game, sometimes when I already managed to get in the race.

The Internet Browser itself and every other device in the house works fine. The errors in question are 103-9999, 101-0502, 102-2211 and 102-2123, among others. Sometimes the game itself gives me a "communication error" message, without saying a code.

I hope somebody knows a solution as I'm getting desperate here :(

So if I'm starting completely from scratch with 3 friends doing split screen, what do we have access to track/character wise and can we unlock stuff doing races of just the 4 of us?

AdanVC

It was a nice sight seeing a doddering old granny carrying a Mario Kart 8 box out of GAME just now. I sure hope whoever it's for has a Wii U to play it...

The local Game was actually sold out of copies when I checked in today out of curiosity. I think that's s first for any Wii U games around here. The guy behind the counter said they had sold a lot more Wii Us the last couple of weeks too.

Wiiu anecdotally saved!

My local GameStop was completely sold out of the MK8 bundles. I'd say Nintendo is selling a lot of units on this...

Ahhhh this genuinely makes me so happy, guys!! Maybe for the first time, Wii U could finally have a chance and stablish in some way at least to achieve Game Cube numbers. This game desserves to sell well, Wii U as well and with E3 in less than 2 weeks things are going to get damn exciting for the console.

Now... I have a headache because it's been a shitty day at work so far but I'm 1000% sure I will feel better once I get out of this place to buy MK8 in around 3 hours. It's incredible the amount of good impressions of this game here, that just makes me more hyped than ever!

You go Nintendo!

prag16

Banned
The GAF room is tough!

How does the VR work in this game? I'm assuming you get bigger increases (and smaller decreases) when playing against higher ranked competition?

If so that would be good, since your VR would better reflect your actual skill, rather than being skewed low by playing only gaf members, or skewed high by only playing 8 year olds.

m0t0k1

I really am glad that the item balance seems to be much better in this game as opposed to MKWii. There's still the occasional Mario Kart Bullshit Moments™ but it seems far more tolerable now.

Even with items it's hard to catch up with people who are doing well, you seem to have to really time your item usage carefully to get any advantage out if it. Not even the blue shell is as big a threat as it once was (it doesn't knock you out as long, you don't lose your item, it can hit others as it travels).

Good stuff all around.

Blue shells yes it is way less. But the fucking bs getting a coin when in second and the guy behind you getting a red shell level is way worse. I still need to play more since i only played it this afternoon at a friends house. Also vertical splitscreen is the worst.

Had to take a break since me and my 4 year old were playing on wii remotes (bitches hurt my hand to hold sidways) but she's still playing and enjoying the hell out of it.

Top Bottom