• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Randdalf

Just got the game today, 3-starred all of the new tracks in 50cc, going to try out the retro ones (and possibly some online) tomorrow!

sdconvoy

The default controls are terrible and you can't change them. GJ Nintendo.

Seriously, holding the GamePad's A button to accelerate is downright ridiculous.

I find the Pro Controller a billion times less hand-crampy. If you have one, or even a Wii CC/CCP, maybe give that a try?

SCReuter

Coins, coins, coins... Over 50% of the items I get are coins. I already have ten coins. Why do you insist on giving me more? How about a defensive fucking item for once.

Grizzo

Seriously, holding the GamePad's A button to accelerate is downright ridiculous.

Haha, that's weird because it feels really natural to me. Maybe it's because I have played so much of the 3DS version that I'm already used to that control scheme. Anyway, you can also use the right stick to accelerate.

Chaos17

1. MK8 OT2| Curse you!
2. MK8 OT2| Not the 5th red shell, please!
3. MK8 OT2| Who ganked me ?!
4. MK8 OT2| Damn you pirahanna plant!
5. MK8 OT2| Drift, man! Driiffft!

RiggyRob

Here's a gif of Metaternal getting screwed at the finish line.

vARwyLy.gif

I felt super bad for passing him, but it's ok because he shoved me off the track a few races later.

Seeing DK be so close to the finish line and then Koopa zip past is hilarious.

Codeblue

Coins, coins, coins... Over 50% of the items I get are coins. I already have ten coins. Why do you insist on giving me more? How about a defensive fucking item for once.

Sucks. Every time I see a red shell indicator as I pass an item box I hammer the L button then two coins pop up.

Sendou

Balancing the position the leader has in favor of the other players. Not a bad idea either (well maybe I'll change my mind when I finally play 8) because in 7 forerunning was so OP. Even with blue shells.

Doorman

And I'm out. Thanks for the rounds everyone.
I'm really not sure what happened, while I was never a pro Mario Kart Wii player, I considered myself pretty good and tended to place in the top three at least more often than not. I don't know if it's higher GAF competition in this game or what but I feel like I've gone from "pretty good" to "total suck," and it's frustrating. Most of the races today I would get into 2nd or 3rd at least during the first lap, get wailed on by items, and then struggle to make it out of the bottom of the pack for the rest of the round.

edit: Also is it just me, or does it feel like the mushroom and triple mushroom items feel a LOT more common than they used to be? Seems like everyone from like 5th-10th gets it a lot.

jnWake

Did some races with Roy in the kart that looks like a F1 car and did terrible lol, then I switched to DK in the Jet Bike and got a brief win streak before I got disconnected...

Anyway, this is still awesome!

Use the Y button
Use the Y button
Use the Y button
Use the Y button
Use the Y button
Use the Y button

And I'm out. Thanks for the rounds everyone.
I'm really not sure what happened, while I was never a pro Mario Kart Wii player, I considered myself pretty good and tended to place in the top three at least more often than not. I don't know if it's higher GAF competition in this game or what but I feel like I've gone from "pretty good" to "total suck," and it's frustrating. Most of the races today I would get into 2nd or 3rd at least during the first lap, get wailed on by items, and then struggle to make it out of the bottom of the pack for the rest of the round.

edit: Also is it just me, or does it feel like the mushroom and triple mushroom items feel a LOT more common than they used to be? Seems like everyone from like 5th-10th gets it a lot.

Try playing some Regional/Worldwide. A lot tamer there.

Fey

Banned
geeez in the last 45 minutes, i only managed to finish one or two races, communication error every other time -__________-

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Online with gaffers is so fun!!! :D

But I should play more tourneys to unlock all the parts and stuff

Cappa

Banned
my only disappointment with the game is the battle mode tracks...... i used to love battle mode on the SNES..... man I really hope they add some real battle mode tracks with some future DLC....

Frodo

My only complaint so far is the ridiculous amount of compression on the credits video. Terrible. Looks horrible.

Loving the game, apart from that.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Played my first 4P session with 6 friends after France - Paraguay.

GOTY, this is the best Mario Kart ever :)))))

Top Bottom