• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's a miracle I stayed on the road at the start there. Hooooly crap that was the tightest drift ever, I'm saving that.

Supast4r

I know that this sounds weird and all but what do you guys think are the best cart combinations and characters???

While I do have an elaborate ranking system yet for the characters/kart combinations I do think that the big characters seem really strong (Donkey Kong and Rosalina stand out right now).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I know that this sounds weird and all but what do you guys think are the best cart combinations and characters???

While I do have an elaborate ranking system yet for the characters/kart combinations I do think that the big characters seem really strong (Donkey Kong and Rosalina stand out right now).

Don't all the heavy characters share the same stats?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'm tempted to get this because of the free game deal.

I haven't played a Mario kart game since super circuit on the gba.

Would it be worth getting just for the single player?

I'd think it'd be fairly useful. Do you not have access/plan to play online though? That and local multiplayer is where the replay value really shines.

I was hoping to get to 600 before my highlight reel disappears, but that's not gonna happen at this rate.

The last 4 races:

11th
11th
11th
10th

This is not going well in the least bit. I think it's time to call it quits for tonight.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Was racing in worlds earlier and noticed a few people with silver and gold wheel icons next to their name...anyone know what those are?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Was racing in worlds earlier and noticed a few people with silver and gold wheel icons next to their name...anyone know what those are?

I think you have to win a lot with motion controls, but I'm not sure

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man, reading this topic makes me want to play. But I'm at work.

Weight class matters more than specific characters. I'm not sure if there is a real "best" known combination but yeah, heavies seem good. I do pretty well with a mid-light though.

I think driving skill + luck matters the most during a race, unless you're just using a really crappy combo.

I'd think it'd be fairly useful. Do you not have access/plan to play online though? That and local multiplayer is where the replay value really shines.

If I play multiplayer I prefer to co-op.

I'm assuming the mp in this game is strictly competitive.

I'm not really good at racing games either.

I think I'll go ahead and get it though. The Luigi gifs are very convincing. :p

Also I haven't bought a game for my Wii U in 6 months and I'm wanting a new one. :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone should change their mii name to their gaf name, at least for a while while playing online

It takes 2 sec

Azure J

People I officially hate the fuck out of when they're in front of me:

CrimCommie: A green shell fired backwards when you crossed the finish line first just to cockblock me out of first? Dick move man. :lol

Merrick: This guy just never gets hit. God forbid you don't stay right next to him the whole time

Person who is simultaneously hype and anger generating to be beside:

Poltergust: YO THAT RAINBOW ROAD 8 DEEP DRIFT AND BUMP BOOST RALLY IN THE THIRD LAP OF THAT ONE MATCH. I'M PUKING RAINBOWS THAT SHIT WAS SO FUCKING RADDDDDDDDDDD

People I officially hate having behind me:

Papercuts: Dude did you seriously go out of your way in multiple matches to slam me with:

- A single green shell rotating you behind me
- A shell in the middle of most straight away scrambles the entire lobby would be involved in
- Triple red shells and a green shell fired backwards near the end of Music Park
- Blue shell which I counter attacked out of with a red shell only to see Waluigi WAH his way past with mushrooms out of nowhere
- A backwards fired boomerang to keep me from coming in 3rd (came in 11th in that one moment)

The amount of RNG that helped your ass in particular was incredible. :lol

Roo: Holy fuck you're over aggressive. Not only that, how is it that every time we meet up, you always have a goddamned Piranha Plant?

Big(Evil)Turtle: While not as bad, Bowser slipstreaming and just being nearby is enough for me to want nothing to do with you when you're nearby.

Edit: Almost forgot, shoutouts to Rafa and ohlawd both coming down the last stretch of Sweet Canyon with Stars trying to gangbang me. If I didn't suspect something and use rear view I'd probably have quit given those two's penchant to always pull out the bullshit. :lol :lol :lol

They should make an app where you can mess with the items inside the question boxes for people that are already in a race....would give me something to do at work while I'm thinking of Mario Kart! haha

Felensis

Banned
Ok GAF I'll admit you had success because yesterday I finally couldn't hold it any longer and catched a Wii U Mario Kart 8 bundle. To be specific my lovely fiancee surprised me with a Wii U MK8 bundle in her hands after coming home from work!!

I was like this:
Super-Saiyan.gif

Not only is she the best GF, fiancee and future wife in the world, but the game itself is also totally awesome :D
Had only 30 mins yesterday, but they already were a blast! I 0wned them all with Luigi's deathstare :D Epic moments in MKTV during my first races like in all these hilarious gifs *g*

AniHawk

i was on with my sister and her fiancée tonight. the two of them were kinda near the bottom rung for most of the night and did better than usual. got 3rd/2nd a couple of times, and usually ended in the top 6. i think it's because i played the single-player and improved my loadout.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
People I officially hate the fuck out of when they're in front of me:

CrimCommie: A green shell fired backwards when you crossed the finish line first just to cockblock me out of first? Dick move man. :lol

Merrick: This guy just never gets hit. God forbid you don't stay right next to him the whole time

Person who is simultaneously hype and anger generating to be beside:

Poltergust: YO THAT RAINBOW ROAD 8 DEEP DRIFT AND BUMP BOOST RALLY IN THE THIRD LAP OF THAT ONE MATCH. I'M PUKING RAINBOWS THAT SHIT WAS SO FUCKING RADDDDDDDDDDD

People I officially hate having behind me:

Papercuts: Dude did you seriously go out of your way in multiple matches to slam me with:

- A single green shell rotating you behind me
- A shell in the middle of most straight away scrambles the entire lobby would be involved in
- Triple red shells and a green shell fired backwards near the end of Music Park
- Blue shell which I counter attacked out of with a red shell only to see Waluigi WAH his way past with mushrooms out of nowhere
- A backwards fired boomerang to keep me from coming in 3rd (came in 11th in that one moment)

The amount of RNG that helped your ass in particular was incredible. :lol

Roo: Holy fuck you're over aggressive. Not only that, how is it that every time we meet up, you always have a goddamned Piranha Plant?

Big(Evil)Turtle: While not as bad, Bowser slipstreaming and just being nearby is enough for me to want nothing to do with you when you're nearby.

Edit: Almost forgot, shoutouts to Rafa and ohlawd both coming down the last stretch of Sweet Canyon with Stars trying to gangbang me. If I didn't suspect something and use rear view I'd probably have quit given those two's penchant to always pull out the bullshit. :lol :lol :lol

THE POWER OF HATE

Sintoid

Please don't blueshell me if I'm off topic but I'm about to buy MK8 from an UK store and I wanted to ask if nintendo uk codes are valid in other euro countries in order to reclaim the free promotional game

Anyone can help me?

I did hella better tonight than I did this morning and I unlocked the yellow pimpmobile for my Shy Guy so tomorrow i'll be riding in style.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I feel like I'm gonna have to lock my windows to make sure Azure doesn't end up breaking in and killing me.

I tried my hand at wave hopping (or whatever we are calling it, hopping right after turbo thing) last night. Results were not pretty and left me with an out of control Kart and the feel of utter defeat that I still can't beat the ez-mode staff ghosts on my first try.

So I decide to try some Mirror GP instead and get my best result yet 2 stars (came second on the last course) despite terrible driving (as in falling off the course where I never have before).

Don't all the heavy characters share the same stats?
All the characters in a weight class do but there are 7 weight classes. Rosalina and Metal Mario for instance are in different classes.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad I use the inside drift bikes so the hop thing is basically irrelevant to me. Unless people figured out it is possible with those.

random25

Please don't blueshell me if I'm off topic but I'm about to buy MK8 from an UK store and I wanted to ask if nintendo uk codes are valid in other euro countries in order to reclaim the free promotional game

Anyone can help me?

Technically that is supposed to work since it is still EU version, though I haven't tried it. But try the other thread and see if you can find concrete answers:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=810577&highlight=buy+mario+kart+8

Gambit

Anyone can help me?

I have bought many UK games and used the code on my German Nintendo account without problems.

Should not be a problem at all. At least it never has been for me.

This item! Yesterday I got bombed with a Red shell followed by a blue shell followed by another red shell. This game is destined to give me an anger heart attack...
That's the only thing that sucks about first, all it takes is a item combo to obliterate your lead. Or to get comboed in the middle of the pack -.-

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
All the characters in a weight class do but there are 7 weight classes. Rosalina and Metal Mario for instance are in different classes.

Shit. You're right

jrOmx06WpMNtt.png

source

this changes everything. I think I should try one of the heavy-light or heavy-medium characters. Currently rocking Wario, but a little bit more handling wouldn't hurt

How is Rosalina a heavy character? Voluptuous, sure, but heavy?!

Top Bottom