• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

well you put in work for it so I can't hate you

Thanks! :) But seriously I grew up and now still live in a very rural town, seeing such a city and stations... I felt like I've entered some spaceship, LCD screens, high-tech and soothing blue lights everywhere. I think I will go shopping more often there in the future, especially with friends!

And I wish I could teleport a copy to you or something :/

Also, regarding that free-game promo, I should better wait till Friday before I register my Club Nintendo code right?

Hey there, congrats. Lol, have fun ;)

Thanks a huge ton, I wouldn't have it without you! :D

Pyrokai

Dammit, I went to Target, Toys R Us, Walmart, and Sears hoping to find it early with no luck :p

Oh, and I also went to Best Buy. That place is really turning into a crapshoot. It took like three guys scrambling around to find out that they had no idea if they were still taking Mario kart orders or not and told me to reserve it online. I'm going to have to, because I have $20 in Best Buy gift certificates to use, but it might be the last purchase I make from there for a long ass time, if ever again. That's one too many times stuff like this has popped up.

Thanks! :) But seriously I grew up and now still live in a very rural town, seeing such a city and stations... I felt like I've entered some spaceship, LCD screens, high-tech and soothing blue lights everywhere. I think I will go shopping more often there in the future, especially with friends!

Also, regarding that free-game promo, I should better wait till Friday before I register my Club Nintendo code right?

Cool, yeah you should wait you never know with the bugs Nintendo's online stuff has

I can tell you true shitty things!
-Rainbow Road 64 is fucking disappointing (but still pretty as fuck)
-New tracks aren't that great.
-Old track selection has way too much 3DS tracks.
-No Dry Bones.
-Battle Mode probably won't please you
-They didn't go as crazy as they should have with the anti grav parts
-Lack of Settings of any kind.
-Music is overshadowed by the ton of sound effects and sometimes barely noticeable, which is a huge shame.

Nice, thanks, I don't want this shitty game anymore, back to real life.

my heart of hearts knows the truth

Shahadan

What's wrong with it? RR64 is the worst course in the series and this looks to be a huge improvement.

It's now a one segment track (no laps) and it's really really short.
In fact, graphics and music aside, New Rainbow Road is greatly superior. (still boring though)

You're welcome ;)

Beerio Kart

everyone has a beer. you have to drink that beer by the time the race is over but you can't drink and drive.

Yeah, this is probably the most popular video game drinking game I know. Especially since all you need is an N64, and who cares if drunk people spill stuff or whatever on it.

hwy_61

Banned
Apparently one of them is to have everyone grab a drink and set it down before the race begins. You then have to finish the drink before you can finish your 3rd lap, but you can't drink and drive at the same time so you gotta set down your controller or chug it.

Though, I've never tried it and I doubt it's practical to do that more than once or twice in a single night.

Everytime someone loses a balloon in arena.
Everytime soemone gets hit by a red/green shell.
Everytime someone uses the lightning (even cpu!)
Everytime someone finishes at any place.
Combine all of them for maximum vomit.

Beerio Kart

everyone has a beer. you have to drink that beer by the time the race is over but you can't drink and drive.

Thanks, y'all!

J@hranimo

Banned
Apparently one of them is to have everyone grab a drink and set it down before the race begins. You then have to finish the drink before you can finish your 3rd lap, but you can't drink and drive at the same time so you gotta set down your controller or chug it.

Though, I've never tried it and I doubt it's practical to do that more than once or twice in a single night.
Oh maaaaaaan me and a few friends did this last year with the Wii Wheels. We were going to do 4 tracks, but only made it to 3 because we kept chugging our drinks right before the finish line on our last lap. So much fun, everyone who has friends who like MK and....Well, drinking should play that way!

centracore

I just tried one of my local Shoppers Drug Mart and they either didn't have it in stock, or knew it wasn't supposed to come out until Friday. Will try a couple more after work and report back.

Hmm I might cave and check out the local Sears/other stores. Although I'm not exactly sure where Sears even has an electronics department as I can't say I ever remember seeing one recently.

What did you like aside from the graphics and music? It was a visual masterpiece (at the time), but the actual track was crap IMO.

2426259-639_tommy_lee_jones_serious.gif

One of the best MK tracks.

Cool, yeah you should wait you never know with the bugs Nintendo's online stuff has

Yeah that's what I figured, I fear that if I register it before the 30th it won't count, didn't something similar actually happen before with a Wii U game promotion? o.o I can't really remember.

You're welcome ;)

:)

Also wow I'm constantly amazed at how good the eShop music tracks are, is there a site that records them?

Xeroblade

What did you like aside from the graphics and music? It was a visual masterpiece (at the time), but the actual track was crap IMO.

I think its just the pure nostalgia of it. I had so many close races against my friends on it. and at the time it was so intimidating, I mean look at what it had to compete against the SNES RR, so of course it seems better. I'm sure if i go back and play it on VC I would hate it. Also the whole 1 lap thing kinda throws me for a loop as well.

EDIT: BTW i absolutely hate the RR of Double Dash.

Revven

Honestly they fixed a lot of RR64's problems by simply revamping the track. Much of its problems was in how the track was designed, from Red Shells being unable to hit anyone once they got a huge lead to bland straightaways and barely any tight corners for drifting -- plus the fences that stretched across the entire course and never actually broke off so someone could fall off the track. I don't think it was necessary to make it a one-lap track -- a second lap would have been fine, 3 would be pushing it. 2-lap tracks aren't unheard of either, see Wario Colosseum from Double Dash.

However, I'm not disappointed by it being a one-lap track -- just means we'll want to play it more than usual. :p

I DO find it unfortunate we can't change the amount of laps for races. Even Double Dash had that option! 9-laps of Baby Park was a thing of beauty. If they allowed you to change the amount of laps for a race I think it'd fix the "length" complaint some people have about the tracks. Not sure how that sort of option would effect the one-lap courses (Mount Wario and RR64) but I'm sure they could think of something -- RR64 loops around at least unlike Mount Wario.

zroid

Banned
RR64 was a real grind. I liked that about it. Not exactly the most exciting course but it took some endurance to get through, and that made it unique and fun in a way.

Of course, it wouldn't have been half as good if the presentation were anything less than spectacular, but fortunately that wasn't the case.

Battle mode is more fun than I thought it was going to be. I just love this game. It's pure fun. Online is as smooth as the singleplayer. I'm blown away by the whole presentation...

B00TE

Have to keep reminding myself it's only Tuesday, Friday feels so far away. :[

Playing Super Mario Kart SNES again has been interesting, I don't remember being this awful at it! Also nice to remember what the original tracks were like, how the series started, etc. Been a long time since I played it.

Ferrio

Banned
Wonder how playable this will be with a wiimote.... i really don't wanna buy more shit. Guess I have nunchucks.... might be better.

mrhej

I should of just pre ordered this instead of waiting to download it on the E-shop cus it could have shipped early :p.

Top Bottom