• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

StayDead

Just finished 150CC. I went into this with little to no knowledge about any of the tracks and BY GOD some of them are quite simply AMAZING.

I can't wait to dive into online with friends.

Can two people playing online split screen from same console both login under their Mii character or NNID to both earn points to their VR rank? You couldn't do it in MKWii which sucked as the second player was just a "clone" of the first player essentially.

zroid

Banned
I think I'll probably jump into 100CC to start. I like having the chance to get to know the courses before tackling 150CC, just feels like a better progression. Very happy to be able to skip 50CC though, hehe.

Nester

Can two people playing online split screen from same console both login under their Mii character or NNID to both earn points to their VR rank? You couldn't do it in MKWii which sucked as the second player was just a "clone" of the first player essentially.

I was told this is the case, both NNIDs have their own VR tracking. We're pretty excited about that!

I think I'll probably jump into 100CC to start. I like having the chance to get to know the courses before tackling 150CC, just feels like a better progression. Very happy to be able to skip 50CC though, hehe.
That's what I did and I think it was a smart move. It takes a second to unlearn past Mario Karts.

Chopper

Is there any benefit to playing through the 50cc cups, seeing as the star ratings apply themselves by playing the harder difficulties?

daydream

Banned
I feel like I'm getting a very limited selection of tracks to choose from online. Talking about two different games here, and it's always the same ~10. What gives?

Well it's kind of difficult to explain him and all the Koopa Kids.

What if Bowser Jr. started asking difficult questions? I just hope the Koopa Baby Mommas make it into the next game :D

At that point, they should just make Bowser
Clown
Kart.

Lots of spanish, french and german people online.
Also lots of players disconecting left and right, having had problems yet myself after 8 races, so maybe they are just being bad loosers.

Azuran

Banned
Well it's kind of difficult to explain him and all the Koopa Kids.

What if Bowser Jr. started asking difficult questions? I just hope the Koopa Baby Mommas make it into the next game :D

Since the Koopalings are not Bowser's kids anymore, I like assuming Bowser Jr. is their general. No need for awkward conversations that way

Deap92x

Banned
American friends: Do you pay taxes on the eshop? In Canada you gotta pay taxes for anything you buy on the eshop, for example mario kart costs $59 and after tax you gotta pay $67...

Another friendly reminder: You unlock stamps by completing GPs with different characters, so if you're a collector you should switch you characters every GP.

Lots of spanish, french and german people online.
Also lots of players disconecting left and right, having had problems yet myself after 8 races, so maybe they are just being bad loosers.

This! I've played for a few hours online now and I only saw french, spanish and german people. I'm starting to think I'm the only one from Belgium that already owns the game :p

w0rm

Neo Member
American friends: Do you pay taxes on the eshop? In Canada you gotta pay taxes for anything you buy on the eshop, for example mario kart costs $59 and after tax you gotta pay $67...

Haven't been charged tax, yet, on the eShop. I do get charged tax on XBL, though.

Picked up a copy here in NYC. Been playing for an hour. Very fun!

Been getting disconnected though. Not sure if it's the game or my internet but I'm leaning towards my internet, lol.

Just finished racing with someone from NYC as well (dash). Other than that, haven't seen many USA people.

corn_fest

Depends on the state, I think? I remember setting my billing zip code to California to avoid tax.

I'm exhausted. 8-9 hours of straight MK8 on this, the first day that I received the game. It is absolutely glorious. People who are still waiting, hang in there! It's worth every bit.

Here's a cool thing that happened. :)

This game is so close!
i5ZlAqYaG92oV.gif

evanmisha

When you try to join an acquaintance's room, and it's full... Does the game not let you join? That's what I thought after watching streams yesterday, but watching one today, someone got in a full lobby and was stuck spectating with the message on the bottom reading, "No spaces available. Please wait..." or something.

Mik2121

Bought the game last night from the eshop and I'm really loving the game.

Dunno how the online will be, but at least offline the item acquisition felt much fairer and it also felt like skill was again a thing in Mario Kart, after the travesty that was Mario Kart Wii :/

The tracks are also amazing! I've only played the first 2 new and the 2 classic cups and overall they were so pleasant to look at.

Top Bottom