• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

MADGAME

I added my NNID to the spreadsheet, I play nights/weekends. Always fun to race with the Gaming Age Family so add me if you like.

7 days, woo-hooo!!!
85042-zebra-dancing-gif-Imgur-BVf2.gif

Chopper

Thread title fails on mobile Gaf.

Also, seriously, where can I get my hands on one of these:

hMA2YUv.png

Official versions don't even appear on eBay.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Less then a week to go. The hype is too real.

Fantastic OT by the way.

I don't have room in my NNID even if I have other profiles on my WiiU I don't use them much besides I want to keep my race records under one ID

so why can't Nintendo allow more than 100?

I hope I have enough GAFFERs over the launch of the WiiU to race with

Tom_Cody

If there's DLC in Mario Golf but not in Mario Kart, I will accept a 2 week GAF ban.
Mario Golf is my case in point. Nintendo publicized the DLC for that title prior to its release. On the Mario Kart from we have nothing.

That said, Sakurai specifically said that there would be no DLC for Smash but now we know there is going to be NFC integration.

clav

The blue shell and the elastic band are necessary evils as much as I curse them. Playing a bunch of Sonic Racing Transformed lately one apparent flaw that became more and more obvious was that there were no items capable of reeling the leader in, the bees being the only option were not a guaranteed hit, and if you're with the rest of the pack you will fall back thanks to items. Basically if you exploit this by relying on speed, getting a little in front of the pack is enough to call the race over in the right hands, being out in the lead is 'low risk & high reward' compared to other positions, it's a rookie balancing mistake. Don't think it's worth an entire thread to state the obvious, so there you go!

No no no no no.

Watch this bit with this guy playing with computers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt8VbtJCl6w#t=2m5s

Within 30 seconds. He goes from leading first to within the pack.

First a lightning bolt. Then red shell, then blue shell. Nothing he can do to regain first.

Too bad the lightning bolt knocks out the horn item to block out the blue shell.

Davey Cakes

Hey so... that DLC section on the original post - has there been any hints there will be or is it just wishful thinking?
Wishful thinking.

But hey it might as well be there in case we get lucky and Nintendo announces something. That way the thread will have a section ready to go for future updates.

javac

I have no idea how to center the text in that spreadsheet thing. I feel so stupid and everyone can see where I'm clicking so I just left it :$

In any case my ID is QaizAli, please add me! I'm not this dopey usually :(

EDIT: Someone did it for me I think, thanks! For a so called 'Computer Scientist', I'm pretty stupid at times :D

Been donning the Super Mario Kart rainbow road track as my avatar border for a few months now. So damn pumped for this game

Can't wait to use my Pro controller after going Wheel only for MKWii

Jucksalbe

Banned
I have no idea how to center the text in that spreadsheet thing. I feel so stupid and everyone can see where I'm clicking so I just left it :$

I already corrected that. ;)
Anyway, centering is the eighth button from the right, click on the arrow and select centered.

Davey Cakes

In regards to DLC, if there is any maybe we'll hear something about it at E3? Maybe?

Talk about wishful thinking..
"Obvious" means nothing in regards to Nintendo.

That said, MK8 DLC seems like a no-brainer.

I don't think people would be as hopeful if Nintendo hadn't already done massive DLC packs with games like New Super Luigi U and Mario Golf, never mind other examples like Pikmin 3 and Fire Emblem. Speaking for both Wii U and 3DS.

The fact that Nintendo hasn't said anything yet means we can still consider the possibility.

Insaniac

The red shell / blue shell combo was a bit unfortunate, but it's not like that all the time. Plus he missed an item ? that could have helped him.

Yeah he missed a crucial item box that could've contained a mushroom or such since he was in 4th(?) when when he could've picked it up with a high chance for a useful item.

Tom_Cody

No no no no no.

Watch this bit with this guy playing with computers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt8VbtJCl6w#t=2m5s

Within 30 seconds. He goes from leading first to within the pack.

First a lightning bolt. Then red shell, then blue shell. Nothing he can do to regain first.

Too bad the lightning bolt knocks out the horn item to block out the blue shell.
But he missed an item block that could have given him a chance to recover...

Beyond that I will say that he was also just not playing especially well over the course of the track. Very limited drifting skills. One of the things you realize when going for ☆☆☆ grades in the recent Mario Kart games is that, while you aren't given specific records to break, you need play at a certain level to guarantee 40 points on a circuit (meaning first on each of the four races). If you don't finish a track in a given amount of time, you can fully expect a wave of anihilation to roll through similar to the one in the video. If not on every track, at least one of them, which still prevents you from getting the ☆ rankings. Simply not falling off the track is not enough to get these high rankings. You are actually required to play at a fairly high level.

javac

I already corrected that. ;)
Anyway, centering is the eighth button from the right, click on the arrow and select centered.

Thanks, I felt like a right idiot. I typed my name in and it didn't centre. I was thinking "damn it!" as I saw everyone else typing away live. Mortified. So simple and I flopped. I spend so much time programming but I can't even use a simple spreadsheet *shakes head*

Anyways amazing thread, can't wait to race you all! :)

Teletraan1

Banned
New Wii U owner here. I didn't purchase a Wii U just for this game but it definitely put me over the edge. Great OT. Can't wait for this to come out.

Does anyone know if I can play 2 player with a gamepad and a Pro controller? It was kind of a bummer to learn I could not do this in NSMBU.

javac

New Wii U owner here. I didn't purchase a Wii U just for this game but it definitely put me over the edge. Great OT. Can't wait for this to come out.

Does anyone know if I can play 2 player with a gamepad and a Pro controller? It was kind of a bummer to learn I could not do this in NSMBU.

Yeah you can use any combination of the supported controllers.

Davey Cakes

You definitely can. However, the Gamepad player CANNOT use the screen to play on.

As previously said, any combo of controllers will work.

Also, this game supports seven different control methods which is pretty sweet.

ds8k

What's the likelihood of me walking into a store next Friday and picking up the WiiU bundle with this game? I've called a few Target's and they all said they're not doing pre-orders for it.

Top Bottom