• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Gutted this isn't going to come in time for tomorrow, but I'm hopeful for Saturday now and the party will kick off then.

BTW I've added everyone from the UK in that spreadsheet.

so best buy says my wii u bundle is ready for pick up. what are the chances they'll let me take it today? or should I just wait till tomorrow?

Give them a call! OR just show up there and if they don't let you take it, make a big deal about it since they told you it was ready for pick up.

Is this wheel sold somewhere in Europe? If not could anyone share with me a link from a japanese store in Japan? Thanks!

mario_kart_8_racing_wheel_wii_u_japan_c.jpg
Nintendo UK store has it £12 exclusive. They only ship to the UK though.

Ninja Dom

So i get the deluxe points based on the price the game costs at the eshop and not the price i paid for?Now im confused, i have the snes mario kart and i was considering buying it from the eshop instead of buying the code from GAME uk....

Buy the code from Game UK. It's still cheaper than with your SMK discount and Nintendo treat MK 8 as if you paid full RRP.

Hasney

So i assume that if i buy the game(mk8) from eshop with the smk discount i will only get the digital points based on the price i payed after the discount?

I'm not sure, but I assume it would be full price.

Also of note, since we just get download codes through Club Nintendo, I'm thinking we'll also get the Digital Deluxe points from them too as I don't think Nintendo's online services differentiate them from a regular download code.

moolamb

Watching other people's MKTV highlight reels is going to be addicting...

I've literally been sitting on the Mario Kart TV web app for the past hour and hitting refresh.

I can't believe how good it is. One, it's aesthetically beautiful - the art design and shading is just marvelous. Two, the camera angles, such variety, and so well chosen especially in the anti-gravity parts. There are some gorgeous wide angles from up high, some nice tyre-side drifting angles. And three, there is a real sense of cause and effect, and mischievous fun. Whoever designed this algorithm for picking the best 60 seconds of a race did a job better than many TV editors would have done.

I'm so floored and impressed. Many thumbs up. I mean, so many of us are talking about similarities with Wreck It Ralph. Some of these action sequences are BETTER than Disney.

edit: THE MUSIC!!!

So is Wario Stadium the last N64 level not ported to a new Mario Kart?

I get the feeling this is the last Mario Kart with 100% unique retro tracks. They're going to have to start repeating or they'll quickly run out of tracks from the earlier games.

Berordn

So is Wario Stadium the last N64 level not ported to a new Mario Kart?

I get the feeling this is the last Mario Kart with 100% unique retro tracks. They're going to have to start repeating or they'll quickly run out of tracks from the earlier games.

They've been getting by with one GBA and one SNES track, so they've at least got one more set of retro tracks before they have to repeat anything from N64.

It's pretty slim pickings for the rest of them before MKWii too. Double Dash and DS only have 4 or 5 left each.

MilesTeg

Banned
I'm not sure, but I assume it would be full price.

Also of note, since we just get download codes through Club Nintendo, I'm thinking we'll also get the Digital Deluxe points from them too as I don't think Nintendo's online services differentiate them from a regular download code.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7127/~/club-nintendo-mario-kart-8-free-game-offer-faq

Does the free game qualify for Deluxe Digital Promotion?

No. Deluxe Digital Promotion points will not be awarded for the free game.

Nharox

Neo Member
Anyone else not missing the map on screen? I didn't even notice it until some people complained about it.

And I love looking back.

They've been getting by with one GBA and one SNES track, so they've at least got one more set of retro tracks before they have to repeat anything from N64.

It's pretty slim pickings for the rest of them before MKWii too. Double Dash and DS only have 4 or 5 left each.

the GBA and SNES layouts don't really translate that well to modern games though. You couldn't have an entire cup filled with SNES and GBA tracks, it would seem really weird.

I imagine if they're stuck on not repeating tracks, that the next game will be heavy in MKWii, 7 and 8 tracks. Which kind of starts to blur the meaning of "retro"

I've literally been sitting on the Mario Kart TV web app for the past hour and hitting refresh.

I can't believe how good it is. One, it's aesthetically beautiful - the art design and shading is just marvelous. Two, the camera angles, such variety, and so well chosen especially in the anti-gravity parts. There are some gorgeous wide angles from up high, some nice tyre-side drifting angles. And three, there is a real sense of cause and effect, and mischievous fun. Whoever designed this algorithm for picking the best 60 seconds of a race did a job better than many TV editors would have done.

I'm so floored and impressed. Many thumbs up. I mean, so many of us are talking about similarities with Wreck It Ralph. Some of these action sequences are BETTER than Disney.

edit: THE MUSIC!!!

I also like the slow down feature when looking at videos, as it allows me to find some nice pics to save, too.

daydream

Banned
Anyone else not missing the map on screen? I didn't even notice it until some people complained about it.

And I love looking back.

Playing with the Gamepad and having all the information on there is perfect, imo. Love how they split it up. Not sure why the big horn is on there by default.

Berordn

the GBA and SNES layouts don't really translate that well to modern games though. You couldn't have an entire cup filled with SNES and GBA tracks, it would seem really weird.

I imagine if they're stuck on not repeating tracks, that the next game will be heavy in MKWii, 7 and 8 tracks. Which kind of starts to blur the meaning of "retro"

They don't, unless they're keen on redesigning them like GBA Mario Circuit in MK8, which I could see them doing for more tracks just to keep the retro train rolling.

Hasney

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7127/~/club-nintendo-mario-kart-8-free-game-offer-faq

Does the free game qualify for Deluxe Digital Promotion?

No. Deluxe Digital Promotion points will not be awarded for the free game.

Ah dangit. Must have found a way to flag codes, hopefully they don't start doing this with retail codes ever.

EDIT: That question isn't on the UK FAQ. I remain hopeful, but less hopeful. Do you guys in the US have retailers that sell eShop game codes?

They don't, unless they're keen on redesigning them like GBA Mario Circuit in MK8, which I could see them doing for more tracks just to keep the retro train rolling.

I just kind of want to have the retro courses from DS get a better treatment. Most were straight ports and the GCN ones actually lost a lot of detail. It was cool at the time, but looking at what the retro courses look like today, I'd love to see them have another go.

Also Waluigi Pinball in HD is not something that can exist if they don't repeat.

Can anyone comment on the motion response of using the barebones Wii Mote? Has it seen some improvement since Mario Kart Wii? My GF, a gaming noob, is very excited about using the Wii-mote controls but I'm concerned that she'd be competitively handicapped and subsequently discouraged.

beanman25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMnzhs5XIDA / Mario Kart 8 Gameplay - Online Race #3 - Lightning Cup - Tick Tock Clock - Wendy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGOygmwjb7I / Mario Kart 8 Gameplay - Online Race #4 - Leaf Cup - Music Park - Luigi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHUR0k1r-vA / Mario Kart 8 Gameplay - Online Race #5 - Banana Cup - Royal Raceway - Wario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5t7FbSff_0 / Mario Kart 8 Gameplay - Online Race #6 - Star Cup - Mount Wario - Wario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qymE6WUud9M / Mario Kart 8 Gameplay - Online Race #7 - Banana Cup - Dry Dry Desert - Baby Peach

Sorry for YouTube being lame and removing the music from the videos. Usually it lets me revert it back to normal, but it's not this time.

Had some pretty solid wins in this bunch!

Hasney

Any one ordered from Amazon UK that has been dispatched??
I pre-ordered back in March and it's standard edition

Still "preparing" for me, although it is with a Prime free trial so it doesn't always go to dispatched until the evening sometimes.

game plays great but it's the first wiiu game to look a little bad on my 1080p tv.
pikmin 3, dktf, mario3dworld all look great but this game for some reason looks very jaggy, almost like there is no anti-aliasing at all.
Not sure why when all my other wiiu games look fine upscaled, the main thing is that it plays amazing and all the little attention to detail around the tracks is nice.

wyk126

Neo Member
Still "preparing" for me, although it is with a Prime free trial so it doesn't always go to dispatched until the evening sometimes.

Well, I'm using First Class so there's a chance it won't be delivered tomorrow, as on its website it suggest 1-2 days using First Class :(

If it's not arriving tomorrow then I probably couldn't sleep at night! :(

Can anyone comment on the motion response of using the barebones Wii Mote? Has it seen some improvement since Mario Kart Wii? My GF, a gaming noob, is very excited about using the Wii-mote controls but I'm concerned that she'd be competitively handicapped and subsequently discouraged.

It seems slightly better, although the motion control using the gamepad is significantly better than the wiimote version from what I've heard.

From what people are saying about Amazon UK here, it seems like there's really no point in pre-ordering a game from Ireland if you want it on release day.

Top Bottom