• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

oatmeal

Banned
Apologies if this has been asked already, but is this releasing in NA on the eShop at midnight Pacific Time? Or your local time zone? If I set my time zone in the settings to Eastern Time, can I get it a few hours early?

It's universal, not according to your system.

9p PST.

Roo

Well, the DLC thread is a scary place now.
I mean, bitching about free content.. I guess Nintendo will never win.

RiggyRob

Nintendo Store email: 'Okey-dokey! Your order is on its way!'

Me:
sunny20dd.gif

Nintendo Store email: 'Estimated delivery date: On or before 3rd June'

Me:
Mario-Sad-Doctor-Who.gif

I've now had the definitive Mario Kart experience of comfortably leading an online race from start to finish only to be besieged by triple red shells and a blue shell mere metres away from the finishing line and dropping down to fourth, in my head the words spoken to me upon booting up MK64 all those years ago rung out, "welcome to Mario Kart!"
Yes, welcome to Mario Kart indeed.

I didn't realize that they dropped the communities feature, seems like an odd choice. While I didn't like how they implemented them in MK7 since you were locked into four races meaning people couldn't just jump in and fill in vacant slots all it needed was a small tweak to be that much better, oh well I suppose.

Two things regarding Wario
1. Dude is HUGE, I'm pretty sure he's bigger than Donkey Kong, it's like SML2 up in here
2. lol fart horn

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I didn't realize that they dropped the communities feature, seems like an odd choice. While I didn't like how they implemented them in MK7 since you were locked into four races meaning people couldn't just jump in and fill in vacant slots all it needed was a small tweak to be that much better, oh well I suppose.

Communities are now tournaments which function in essentially the same way. Except they have specified periods of time in which racing earns points for the tournament event. But members can race one another in them any time.

FryHole

OK, at this rate it's going to take forever to finish the first cup because I'm transfixed by the highlight reel's slow-mo function.

Clockwork5

Drove by a gamestop while running errands. Slammed on the breaks. Gave the cashier $20 and left with a slip of paper... Why? Cause MK8.

ive never participated in one of these 5 o clock free crack giveaways buy a game, get a free game thing with nintendo but I might as well get mario kart so I can get zelda for free

will i just get an email from my club nintendo account info? do I go to club nintendo and pick or something?

ive never participated in one of these 5 o clock free crack giveaways buy a game, get a free game thing with nintendo but I might as well get mario kart so I can get zelda for free

will i just get an email from my club nintendo account info? do I go to club nintendo and pick or something?
You register it tomorrow and then get a code. If you register it before you get nothing, apparently

ditto, it's gonna be atrociously painful. This is me stepping into Game at 5 PM
ibtLZHsaYZmW6a.gif

hand me my MK8 this instant

Lol. Yea I don't get off work till 4pm. I may try to go in earlier to get off at 330pm. Then gonna play all night. Got my brother and niece coming on Saturday to race with us so I want to unlock everything by then.

I'm now hearing that character unlocks are apparently random? curses, I want Ludwig now.

Communities are now tournaments which function in essentially the same way. Except they have specified periods of time in which racing earns points for the tournament event. But members can race one another in them any time.

Ah, I see. I should probably have checked out the tournaments option to see what they were actually about, since these were in Mario Golf as well I guess they're like the revamped take on communities in Nintendo's current online games.

If it makes you feel any better, I too am one of the 4 on GAF that doesnt have a copy yet.
I'm waiting for eShop (not up at midnight and also I want to see if this whole Club Nintendo PIN in order details thing is real first as I might forget to link the Club Nintendo account).

Ahhhh quite tempted to buy the game digitally right now. How much is it in Europe? 60€? How much will I get back through Digital Deluxe Promotion?

What's this about?
8% (as due to VAT you pay @~20% of the price) so €60 will get the €5. Unless it leaves you 1 point short due to being €59,99 or something daft.

The eShop release should go live on the server at 00:00 CET Friday (since it is not up yet you can't get the game via that method yet). I'm not hardcore enough to stay awake until (even it is 23:00 BST) then so I'll deal with it in the morning.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ahhhh quite tempted to buy the game digitally right now. How much is it in Europe? 60€? How much will I get back through Digital Deluxe Promotion?

The download code at game.co.uk is £39.99 and you get back the points as for the full price. The code can be used in any EU eshop.

Burnburn

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but if you complete a cup on 150cc, the stats also count for 50 and 100cc. So if you get 3 stars shell cup on 150cc, you will also get 3 stars on 50 and 100cc

Seik

Banned
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but if you complete a cup on 150cc, the stats also count for 50 and 100cc. So if you get 3 stars shell cup on 150cc, you will also get 3 stars on 50 and 100cc

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll do this.

Xeroblade

Makes it kinda pointless to go through 50 and 100cc. I don't really like that.

Sendou

Up at midnight EST, so a bit earlier in other timezones I think.

8% (as due to VAT you pay @~20% of the price) so €60 will get the €5. Unless it leaves you 1 point short due to being €59,99 or something daft.

The eShop release should go live on the server at 00:00 CET Friday (since it is not up yet you can't get the game via that method yet). I'm not hardcore enough to stay awake until (even it is 23:00 BST) then so I'll deal with it in the morning.

Thanks you all. Sounds like a good choice.

The download code at game.co.uk is £39.99 and you get back the points as for the full price. The code can be used in any EU eshop.

Thanks for the tip. I suppose the way this works is that they actually send a physical card containing the download code through mail?

Wow that's amazing. Thanks for sharing this!

Peterthumpa

Is the price still "TBD" on the eShop to everyone else? Weird. I have an US account but I'm not resident, I'm afraid of Nintendo blocking me out from buying it tonight (by IP checking) because of the free game offer valid to US and Canada only.

Is the price still "TBD" on the eShop to everyone else? Weird. I have an US account but I'm not resident, I'm afraid of Nintendo blocking me out from buying it tonight (by IP checking) because of the free game offer valid to US and Canada only.

I highly doubt it. I buy all my games from the eShop and I'm not in US/Canada...I've also claimed codes from Club Nintendo with no problems.

ffdgh

Nah. Says the same thing on my end.

Xeroblade

If you can three star stuff in 150cc it's already pointless to go through 50 and 100cc. I'm glad they did this, I got three stars on everything in MK7 but going through the slower cc's was a drag.

I enjoyed going through the slower cc's. Also does any one know if the characters unlock after every cup finished? or only in the 150cc cups?

Top Bottom