• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Omzz

i'll probably try my hand at 100cc in all cups just to get a feel of the courses, and then jump to 150cc. 50 is a drag

DrunkDan

I keep checking this thread in the hope that someone posts telling us that the download codes are working early.

So disappointing to realise that my wishful thinking is indeed just that.

Soon.

Xeroblade

I've played every MK there has been, I've never completed a 50cc or 100cc GP. They're just not for me.

Wierd. Now I'm starting to think I am the only one that goes through 50cc - 150cc. I guess I just thought thats how it was meant to be played. I have done that with every mario kart ever. I didnt know that i could unlock all the goodies by skipping straight to 150cc. So i may have to do that this time around.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but if you complete a cup on 150cc, the stats also count for 50 and 100cc. So if you get 3 stars shell cup on 150cc, you will also get 3 stars on 50 and 100cc

So 150cc is available from the beginning? They didn't do that with previous MKs did they?

AdanVC

Wierd. Now I'm starting to think I am the only one that goes through 50cc - 150cc. I guess I just thought thats how it was meant to be played. I have done that with every mario kart ever. I didnt know that i could unlock all the goodies by skipping straight to 150cc. So i may have to do that this time around.

Same here actually! I always like to complete everything in order starting from 50cc no matter if it's slow and damn easy. That way I familiarize myself with the new tracks and Items and start looking for shortcuts and stuff.

Robin64

I do that and I'm doing it right now. 50cc is so casual you can try out shortcuts and stuff in comfort.

Wow, epic 150 CC cup against the CPU until the last seconds, was second in the leaderboard against Lakitu. Had some problems at the middle of the race because of Waluigi throwing a green shell, got lucky and was given a mushroom that helped me go second place, then even more lucky as I was rewarded with a red shell as Lakitu was first, I hit him and won the race. Thought I was going to be second in the leaderboards but at the end I got first place tied with Lakitu.
Was so hyped after that I made a video:
http://youtu.be/uJQUh_R-tDI

ffdgh

I'm still going through 50-150/mirror like normal. Gotta stick with my 50cc mushroom cup with mario tradition.

Thanks for the tip. I suppose the way this works is that they actually send a physical card containing the download code through mail?
(GAME eShop code) eShop credit is sent via the post but these are e-mailed. A few people here have them already (Nintendo has not set the eShop to activate them yet, they had issues with people registering Pikmin 3 early last year...).

Thing is £40 is about €51 (minus any bank fees, check what these are first) and if you own Super Mario Kart the discount for that brings the eShop price of MK8 down to €52 anyway.

Yeah, I've always been 50cc - 150cc for each MK. Will do the same here, and kick things off with Mr. Mario.

What are the chances of my game coming tomorrow from Amazon if it hasn't shipped yet? I'm thinking I should cancel and just go hunting in the morning.

Syrus

Banned
I told myself i wouldn't buy a Wii u......ooops :D . My wife loves anything Mario and I didn't buy her a Wii but a ds that she never played but mg son does.

I couldn't hold out mor, I knew she wanted a Wii u so I did it guys. Mk8 bundle, super bros u , donkey king TF and zombie U :p here I come, I mean for her that is

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wow, epic 150 CC cup against the CPU until the last seconds, was second in the leaderboard against Lakitu. Had some problems at the middle of the race because of Waluigi throwing a green shell, got lucky and was given a mushroom that helped me go second place, then even more lucky as I was rewarded with a red shell as Lakitu was first, I hit him and won the race. Thought I was going to be second in the leaderboards but at the end I got first place tied with Lakitu.

Baby Peach is the best.

Edit: This is a race that I won by flying over the opponents at the finish line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTwP24uOonU

ffdgh

Haha cute. I like morton's random yell out of nowhere and lakitu getting hit by a stray shell at the end.

I told myself i wouldn't buy a Wii u......ooops :D . My wife loves anything Mario and I didn't buy her a Wii but a ds that she never played but mg son does.

I couldn't hold out mor, I knew she wanted a Wii u so I did it guys. Mk8 bundle, super bros u , donkey king TF and zombie U :p here I come, I mean for her that is
If you're only getting one Mario platformer, make it Mario 3D World.

So those rankings; basically people have been able to increase their rankings with a very small pool of people for a while.

When the game is sold regularly tomorrow...what..what if Nintendo resets everyone's rankings? Do you think they'd do that?

tosu

Neo Member
Anyone tried picking up at Best Buy...it days its available for pickup in the stores near me.

I got a text from Best Buy saying it was ready for pick up today. I got there and they didn't have it at customer service. After some searching, they told me the release day is the 30th and to come back tomorrow. Don't waste your time today.

Still hasn't shipped from Amazon for me and its supposed to be here tomorrow. I hope they don't screw up again. I've had terrible luck with them over the last year.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but if you complete a cup on 150cc, the stats also count for 50 and 100cc. So if you get 3 stars shell cup on 150cc, you will also get 3 stars on 50 and 100cc

That's great. 50cc and 100cc are completely pointless to me. Now I can go straight to the fun stuff.

What are the chances of my game coming tomorrow from Amazon if it hasn't shipped yet? I'm thinking I should cancel and just go hunting in the morning.

Still hasn't shipped from Amazon for me and its supposed to be here tomorrow. I hope they don't screw up again. I've had terrible luck with them over the last year.

I'm in the same boat, no shipping notification or charge on my account. I think Amazon will deliver, though; my issue is that there's only one place that sells video games in the town I'm living in [and I rather not have to rely on them, Walmart, in this particular case]. My gut says to wait it out, though my anxiousness tells me to cancel and leave work early tomorrow to try Walmart.

EDIT: oops, sorry, I went to check the status just now and it says preparing for shipment. Also have been charged.

Great commercial up. Am I late?
Mario_Mercedes_medium.jpg

Haha cute. I like morton's random yell out of nowhere and lakitu getting hit by a stray shell at the end.

Hahaha, that last part was nuts, in the normal video of the whole race you can ALL the guys behind me just as I hit Lakitu with the red shell throwing me fireballs, boomerang, lots of green shells and even one had the pirhana plant. So at then all those stray green shells hit lakitu lol

Burnburn

Makes it kinda pointless to go through 50 and 100cc. I don't really like that.

Well you never have to touch 50 or 100cc anymore. I, myself, love that, because 50 and 100 are just sooooo sloooowww and really a drag to go through

So 150cc is available from the beginning? They didn't do that with previous MKs did they?

Iirc 50, 100 and 150 are selectable from the start in every mario kart

Azuran

Banned
I just ran all over Toronto looking for a copy but no one wanted to sell me one in advance. Sorry for failing you Toronto GAF. However, I did get Super Mario 3D Land for $25 brand new at a local store and the owner was so awesome that he didn't charge me tax so in the end it wasn't a complete loss.

I'll be able to manage to till tomorrow for sure now :p

vazel

Banned
I am filled with much hype and dread for 9pm. Dread because I fear eshop speeds will be slower than usual tonight. I already only get 14-16Mb/s which is bad enough.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
How come all the youtube vids I've seen are so blocky. Even at 720p?

Robin64

You need to play a minimum of 30 GPs to get all those stamps anyway, so working through 50/100/150 and choosing a different character each time is not a bad idea. ;)

Top Bottom