• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Shakka

I've only played one cup so far, but I already love it. I was also very surprised about how good its graphics are. They look so vivid and plastic, almost a Pixar-like quality. To be honest, they've impressed me more than anything I have played on PS4 so far.

My only fear is that it will be difficult to find opponents online long term, due to the small install base of the Wii U. Let's hope this game will make some people pick one up.

I'd like to have some more online friends as well. My ID is Shakka23, feel free to add me. I added my name to the spreadsheet, too, and will add some of you.

Just played 4 hours straight with a friend against the World. Fuck me, what a great game. Also helped that with each beer we had, the game got even greater, fun night. Didn't know until today how I missed having such a great time playing in the same couch as my friends.

Ken

got my copy from gamestop. they gave me a little poster too.

too bad they didn't have any pro controllers so I guess I'll be using the wiimote lol.

When you're in 1st place, the majority of the items you get are coins. They have some uses (unlocking parts, speed boost when holding the max.), but if you already have 10 of them, they're not very useful.
I thought they give you a tiny (instant) speed boost even if you're at max capacity?

I'm really excited

I wonder if I'll still do 50cc

it seems like the ultimate thing to get is the GOLD Kart and Parts hope DLC has something nicer

I am too excited :D

BM8

Neo Member
got my copy from gamestop. they gave me a little poster too.

too bad they didn't have any pro controllers so I guess I'll be using the wiimote lol.

Is the poster a good size?

Its the double sided one, correct?

edit: Missed the word "little".

Roo

it was announced the WiiU can support two gamepads, but we haven't seen any game that uses two. Maybe we will never see a game use two gamepads

Do they even sell gamepads separately?
I'm still wondering how are they handling this situation.

This is another reason why I don't use mine. It would be next to impossible to replace it if something happened to it.

alright so im thinking 4 player grand prix is gonna be the fastest way to get coins for unlocks. Good thing i planned to play this all weekend co-op with my brothers :)

Zero148

I've only tried Battle mode once. We should open a GAF lobby for that mode only.

I think with 12 players online the battle on the courses can be fun. We were only five in the first run and 3 in the second though.

Battle Arenas schould still vom per DLC

This is another reason why I don't use mine. It would be next to impossible to replace it if something happened to it.

They don't sell them seperately, but it should be possible to get replacement directly from Nintendo, although that is just a guess by common sense. You never know when it comes to Nintendo.

Maybe we will see a two gamepad game at E3. by the time such a game releases NIntendo should sell the gamepad alone
or they want people to buy a second WiiU for such a game ^^

They don't sell them separately, but Nintendo will replace them. For about $150 from what I've heard.

daydream

Banned
This x 1000. I've already had 12+ beers, I just need this now. Please let be be playing this soon!
nodrinking-anddriving20130510-19047-wzfnuj-0_original.jpg

U_U

Tabasco

Maybe I should of gone digital.

I could still change my mind and cancel the GameStop pre-order, but I'd rather have a physical copy. I just really want to play this game as soon as it's out.

Oh god... thankfully it was a holiday... my Mario Kart crazed friends called me over with my Wii U and I just came home 30 minutes ago. We pretty much played for 10 hours straight aside from taking a break for dinner and it didn't even feel like 10 hours... my god that game is dangerously magical like that... o.o

I knew about finishing a cup in 150cc would also count for 50cc and 100cc though I didn't tell them and we had such a blast going through every cup from 100cc onwards :p

At first my friends were gutted about the missing wheelies but now we agree it's a more than worthy successor to our weekly Mario Kart Wii sessions and we are actually happy that the CPU can put up a very decent fight now in MK8 150cc and Mirror. More often than not we reaaaally had to fight to take a cup and sometimes even redo one, it's great! :D

I personally also like that there doesn't seem to be a "one for all" approach anymore. Back in MK Wii we always picked the Quacker with light characters and it worked universally well though in MK8 some combinations that work well for another cup might be awful for a second. Case in point, after lots of experimenting I picked Rosalina + Sports Bike + Retro Red Tires + Cloud Parasol: I rock the Shell Cup with that but I absolutely fail the Special Cup. It's the same for my friends and their preferred setups and adds a ton of dynamics and variety to the game!

Oh and lastly, even if your monitor supports Limited RGB like mine, if you can play it on a proper TV. I know TV post-processing introduces input lag usually though I don't notice any on mine and compared to my monitor... I don't know what my TV does but the game looks like it runs with 16x Supersampling on it and the colors and the artstyle just burn happiness into my eyes it's just stunning o.o
(The last sentence is exaggerated :p)
I could clearly see the aliasing on my monitor but I don't see it on my TV despite trying to look at it from a similar distance. And the music didn't get annoying after 10 hours even and I still hear it playing in my head :p

Roo

They don't sell them seperately, but it should be possible to get replacement directly from Nintendo, although that is just a guess by common sense. You never know when it comes to Nintendo.

Maybe we will see a two gamepad game at E3. by the time such a game releases NIntendo should sell the gamepad alone
or they want people to buy a second WiiU for such a game ^^

They don't sell them separately, but Nintendo will replace them. For about $150 from what I've heard.

I see.
Well, let's hope they start selling them soon.
It would be atrocious to be back and forth with them for a controller, waiting for it (especially if you're no from USA/Canada) instead of just ditching it and getting a new one from your closest game store.

I was not prepared for the 150 cc... the IA is so vicious!
What do you mean by "vicious"?

Man, I hope it goes smoothly. Gettin' nervous about that now. D:

shouldnt be too bad a nifty little trick is if you feel the download is going to slow pause and un-pause it to get a different download server worked for me when i downloaded pikmin 3.

hwy_61

Banned
I'm waiting till 1amEST(it'll be 12am where I live). Maybe the servers will be better an hour from launch? If it isn't I'll try in the morning!

MilesTeg

Banned
Should I feel dumb for thinking something could go wrong if I download right at midnight? I mean this ain't XBL or PSN. Last thing I want is to have to contact customer support about a missing $60.

Top Bottom