• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Gardex

I'm here to speak the truth regarding battle mode.

It keeps getting flak, but man, if you did like I did and gathered four to eight people, you might've been surprised by how fun 2v2 (+ CPUs) teams battle mode is.

The coordination required by the teammates, the hatred for that one CPU that keeps getting you, the excitement of doing a one-on-three comeback. It all adds up to a great experience.

Yeah yeah, the tracks aren't arenas anymore, but that honestly doesn't matter that much. The thrill of driving around and always finding different opponents and teammates is just great. It also enables some things that've been considerably less central in previous battle modes: Chasing and duels(read: chicken)

Because of the tighter roads of the maps, there are plenty of times you'll find yourself either being chased, chasing an opponent, or doing a face-to-face standoff with green shells. These are all very fun moments.

Listen, brothers and sisters, 2v2 Battle Mode is godlike(especially on Moo Moo Farm and Yoshi Valley)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I was a little unsure if one game was worth buying a console for but I'm glad I went for it, Mario Kart is so fucking fun, even when God is against you and you can't catch a break. Also loving Mario Bros which I got for free.

I'm here to speak the truth regarding battle mode.

It keeps getting flak, but man, if you did like I did and gathered four to eight people, you might've been surprised by how fun 2v2 (+ CPUs) teams battle mode is.

The coordination required by the teammates, the hatred for that one CPU that keeps getting you, the excitement of doing a one-on-three comeback. It all adds up to a great experience.

Yeah yeah, the tracks aren't arenas anymore, but that honestly doesn't matter that much. The thrill of driving around and always finding different opponents and teammates is just great. It also enables some things that've been considerably less central in previous battle modes: Chasing and duels(read: chicken)

Because of the tighter roads of the maps, there are plenty of times you'll find yourself either being chased, chasing an opponent, or doing a face-to-face standoff with green shells. These are all very fun moments.

Listen, brothers and sisters, 2v2 Battle Mode is godlike(especially on Moo Moo Farm and Yoshi Valley)

I've only tried battle mode once and it was only one other person but it was still kinda fun. It seemed like it would be a lot of fun if there were a lot of people playing. I would still like battle arena dlc though.

Kade

2 more days off, pizza ordered, MK8. Going to be a good weekend. Let's see how much of this pizza ends up on the wall after playing with Smilax.

Roo

OP Updated

ibiR4WhUGre4m0.png

--FRANTIC RACING CODE
QUOTE TO SEE

Quick note:
-Due to their extreme success and overwhelming community, both Mirror OT and Battle OT Tournaments were removed from the OP. It's pointless to have them sitting there if no one is playing those tournaments so they won't be missed.

Just had the most bullshit worldwide race. Got hit by a blue shell and three red shells in a row at the end of lap two and they finally caught up to me and then the third lap I got hit with fucking 6 more red shells! All of them are ganging up on me lol

akaoni

Banned
Do people play GAF vs GAF or am I just always online at bad hours for it? I like the idea of it, I just never tried finding players again.

tassletine

Is the netcode for this game really this bad? I constantly seem to be hurling red shells and boomerangs to no effect, I played against one player who constantly (every game) blew out on the starting line only to blast forward way ahead of the pack instantly and I've come first only to be pushed back to third (at the worst case).

I'm an average player, and certainly have no problems beating any of the time trials, but it would be nice to know that what I'm doing actually has some effect on other players otherwise this is just pointless. Sometimes I seem to play a perfect game only to come in 12th with players just transporting in front of me.

Kade

OP Updated

ibiR4WhUGre4m0.png

--FRANTIC RACING CODE
QUOTE TO SEE

Quick note:
-Due to their extreme success and overwhelming community, both Mirror OT and Battle OT Tournaments were removed from the OP. It's pointless to have them sitting there if no one is playing those tournaments so they won't be missed.

In.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Do people play GAF vs GAF or am I just always online at bad hours for it? I like the idea of it, I just never tried finding players again.

I don't even bother going into the GAF room, I just go to friends and see who I've played from GAF is online and if they are racing in a GAF room, I'll join them.

Mmm. Either new Rainbow Road isn't an indrift track, or I just suck at it. :p

No problems here, you just have to time it right.

Roo

Is the netcode for this game really this bad? I constantly seem to be hurling red shells and boomerangs to no effect, I played against one player who constantly (every game) blew out on the starting line only to blast forward way ahead of the pack instantly and I've come first only to be pushed back to third (at the worst case).

I'm an average player, and certainly have no problems beating any of the time trials, but it would be nice to know that what I'm doing actually has some effect on other players otherwise this is just pointless. Sometimes I seem to play a perfect game only to come in 12th with players just transporting in front of me.

It's definitely on your end.
Online is fantastic. I rarely have lag issues.

akaoni

Banned

It's quite bad in cases, though yours seems a bit excessive. Certain players are just naturally warpy compared to others all the time because of location/connection if that's what you were witnessing.

Jeez, had a comm error on regionals with randoms. Getting really old.

So you're a pubstar now? lol

I was playing regional this morning from 2:30-4:00AM (don't ask) and was donging. Only lost two races and I was still top 4 in each. After playing the GAF tournament, pubs are easy as balls. In multiple races I was able to stop at the finish line for a good number of seconds and still take 1st. Yes, I'm a dick like that.

<3 you, pub players

Top Bottom