• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Timeaisis

Is the netcode for this game really this bad? I constantly seem to be hurling red shells and boomerangs to no effect, I played against one player who constantly (every game) blew out on the starting line only to blast forward way ahead of the pack instantly and I've come first only to be pushed back to third (at the worst case).

I'm an average player, and certainly have no problems beating any of the time trials, but it would be nice to know that what I'm doing actually has some effect on other players otherwise this is just pointless. Sometimes I seem to play a perfect game only to come in 12th with players just transporting in front of me.

It's better than most online games, tbh. There occasional item lag, but that's usually the user end. The biggest issues at the moment is the comm errors. Once you get into a game it's smooth.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
anyone else feel like 12 is too much? i've been in 2nd (or much worse, 3rd) for 2 1/2 laps reasonably often only to get an 11-12 place finish due to a 1 banana/shell followed by an absolute item raping.

it's repeditive and it's annoying. I thought I like the frantic crazyness, but I dunno. as a fairly competent time trial racer that can beat the staff ghosts by a good bit, every single gaf tourny game feels like a total 'doesn't matter' because 1 1/2 laps can be finish in 12 due to a mid game 6 item gangbang. Dunno if I like it. I've put in about 15 hours already but I'm not sure it's rewarding.... seems like MK7 style 8 person tourneys are a much better size, 12 people feels hopeless unless you can get 1-2-3 place with a defense item really early.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So you're a pubstar now? lol

I was playing regional this morning from 2:30-4:00AM (don't ask) and was donging. Only lost two races and I was still top 4 in each. After playing the GAF tournament, pubs are easy as balls. In multiple races I was able to stop at the finish line for a good number of seconds and still take 1st. Yes, I'm a dick like that.

<3 you, pub players

I was just trying to avoid comm errors for a little. There is no salvation from this hell. ;_;

But yeah, they're crazy easy. Before it crashed the lobby I took two blue shells and still had a sizeable lead. I'm gonna start backing up over the line against them.

is there some secret to a quicker recovery or something because I swear you guys are back up and running quicker than I am after getting hit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
is there some secret to a quicker recovery or something because I swear you guys are back up and running quicker than I am after getting hit.

If it isn't the lag hit where they don't lose speed at all, it's their acceleration. High stats in that make you get up to speed against really quickly.

J@hranimo

Banned
Not liking the acceleration, or what?
I love using it, but only with the button wheels since they give some well-needed additional accel.

Idk. I had roller wheels on it fit better handling but I guess I'm not used to it yet. I just unlocked Prancer and I'm enjoying this kart so I might not go back for a while lol.

Regiruler

Room is dead.
EDIT: Don't you know, I'm electro(drome)?
Only 3 players, but still...

Looks like I'll have a rematch with SMTP and Tabasco.

lt519

Thread title should have been about Luigi. I'm disappointed.

anyone else feel like 12 is too much? i've been in 2nd (or much worse, 3rd) for 2 1/2 laps reasonably often only to get an 11-12 place finish due to a 1 banana/shell followed by an absolute item raping.

it's repeditive and it's annoying. I thought I like the frantic crazyness, but I dunno. as a fairly competent time trial racer that can beat the staff ghosts by a good bit, every single gaf tourny game feels like a total 'doesn't matter' because 1 1/2 laps can be finish in 12 due to a mid game 6 item gangbang. Dunno if I like it. I've put in about 15 hours already but I'm not sure it's rewarding.... seems like MK7 style 8 person tourneys are a much better size, 12 people feels hopeless unless you can get 1-2-3 place with a defense item really early.

After 20 or so hours online I've definitively decided that I like smaller games better. It seems better racing wins more often in smaller crowds. On that note the GAF vs GAF room is typically small and adding teams to the mix provides for some nice variety. I don't enjoying dropping from 3rd to 11th and not have a chance in the world to come back, but from 3rd to 6th won't slow you down as much even if 6th is last.

I'm still salty x :/ after hitting someone with a star and they immediately got back to regular speed/not stopped then I get hit by a star and I stop and spin

:p

14368447002_0f44cd78f4_o.gif

Azure J

I had a pretty ridiculous moment earlier today playing on Royal Raceway:

http://giant.gfycat.com/IllLittleBla...ncoonhound.gif

http://gfycat.com/IllLittleBlackandtancoonhound.webm

For context: After going through the first item batch, my opponent in front of me (the Mii in this gif/webm [thanks Xia!]) and myself get a single green shell and have to play the war of "what option will you go for". I could have either shot it immediately to get rid of his shell and make it all neutral or held onto it and played defense. Thing is, Frantic Mode just makes everyone want to get theirs so I just said I'm going to go for the hard read and put this shell in front of his drifting pattern. A moment later, I see a signpost and let 'er rip.

I just wish if the replay didn't fade a portion of that shell's travel distance to black. Easily the best trick shot I've landed in a Mario Kart game not named Mario Kart 64.

anyone else feel like 12 is too much? i've been in 2nd (or much worse, 3rd) for 2 1/2 laps reasonably often only to get an 11-12 place finish due to a 1 banana/shell followed by an absolute item raping

This to me kills the game. After all the talk of making it more 'competitive,' it really doesn't matter when you have 12 racers all carrying items that can mess you up in one moment. Add to that, you can't carry two items anymore by dragging one behind you, so defense is much harder, and the tracks are much shorter so one mistake or bad item and you're done.

I really don't see so far how this game is that much superior to Mario Kart Wii. The courses are better, yes, and more narrow which is great, but the problems listed above are too great IMO.

Top Bottom