• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

This to me kills the game. After all the talk of making it more 'competitive,' it really doesn't matter when you have 12 racers all carrying items that can mess you up in one moment. Add to that, you can't carry two items anymore by dragging one behind you, so defense is much harder, and the tracks are much shorter so one mistake or bad item and you're done.

I really don't see so far how this game is that much superior to Mario Kart Wii. The courses are better, yes, and more narrow which is great, but the problems listed above are too great IMO.
People keep bringing up "you can't carry two items anymore" as if it's some major setback, but I'm not exactly convinced that's a bad change for the game's health. Defense with two stackable items was far too easy to come by in previous Mario Kart games the further you were ahead and arguably 1st place still has little difficulty maintaining his lead (albeit for different reasons) in 8 if he knows what he's doing. It'd naturally be even worse if even triple red shells could be dispatched due to said stacking.

Personally I'd have Nintendo go the extra mile and have them copy Sonic Racing: Transformed in this regard. Items weren't as overbearing there and with skill you could at least consistently dodge homing attacks when driving around empty-handed. Something defensive like the glove (while rare) also wasn't nearly as infrequent as the Box. Rebalance the rest of the pick-ups (and boosting) accordingly with this in mind.

Yeah it annoys me too when I see people recover super fast but I see a lot of people right in front of me get item boxes but they (the item boxes) don't disappear so it must be something to do with lag?
It's been established that sometimes the game doesn't even register hits the same way for two different people. I visibly hit a friend with a green shell once on my screen (tumble, flailing of arms, the works) but he didn't slow down one bit. I asked what the deal was (I figured it was lag) and he claimed to have never been hit by that green shell in the first place.

Good games, GAF. Got 1st once and several top 5 finishes. Got a Comm error and my Gamepad was starting to die so I hopped off. Definitely investing in a Pro Controller soon.

Rainbow Road 64 is way too short. I love the visuals and the music is fucking awesome, but there's absolutely no time to appreciate it. I know people hated the original for being too long, but would having two laps be too much to ask for?

People keep bringing up "you can't carry two items anymore" as if it's some major setback, but I'm not exactly convinced that's a bad change for the game's health. Defense with two stackable items was far too easy to come by in previous Mario Kart games the further you were ahead and arguably 1st place still has little difficulty maintaining his lead (albeit for different reasons) in 8 if he knows what he's doing. It'd naturally be even worse if even triple red shells could be dispatched due to said stacking.

Personally I'd have Nintendo go the extra mile and have them copy Sonic Racing: Transformed in this regard. Items weren't as overbearing there and with skill you could at least consistently dodge homing attacks when driving around empty-handed. Something defensive like the glove (while rare) also wasn't nearly as infrequent as the Box. Rebalance the rest of the pick-ups (and boosting) accordingly with this in mind.

Well normally you wouldn't get triple red shells while in first anyway, so that type of item stacking was rarely a problem for the player in first.

But yes, I do agree about the Sonic Racing thing. As opposed to taking stuff out to balance MK8, I wish they had added.

Azure J

Rainbow Road 64 is way too short. I love the visuals and the music is fucking awesome, but there's absolutely no time to appreciate it. I know people hated the original for being too long, but would having two laps be too much to ask for?

Thank you.

The worst part is that it's such a dynamic level now that the issues with its length are now mitigated with just how much there is to do/take in but of course there's no way to enjoy it as nature intended. :(

Aren't most of the remade levels shorter than their originals, some drastically?

That's another thing that I was kind of surprised by when I got the game. Some of them feel so gimped they are almost new courses.

Short courses in general are a problem for this game, I feel.

javac

It's been established that sometimes the game doesn't even register hits the same way for two different people. I visibly hit a friend with a green shell once on my screen (tumble, flailing of arms, the works) but he didn't slow down one bit. I asked what the deal was (I figured it was lag) and he claimed to have never been hit by that green shell in the first place.

Huh interesting. I mean the other parties don't even hear your horn so obviously something is happening locally. Interesting stuff.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well normally you wouldn't get triple red shells while in first anyway, so that type of item stacking was rarely a problem for the player in first.

But yes, I do agree about the Sonic Racing thing. As opposed to taking stuff out to balance MK8, I wish they had added.

The problem before in first was triple banana lines along with a green shell in backup, letting you absorb 4 hits(without a blue shell fucking the day up).

I actually still think second place getting triple reds is dumb with the item change as it's the opposite problem and gives that player too much power. They can pretty safely wait it out and see if a blue shell takes out first, pepper a shell after if needed, or just pass him and be in first with the reds now. Meanwhile the guy in third has to respect and not pass him unless he gets a boomerang or piranha plant along with close enough proximity, but the game instead likes to just go "lol mushrooms" which makes you a sacrificial lamb that only helps out first place taking a hit. Otherwise during this, first can do nothing to prepare for the shell onslaught. I'm okay with them being smart about it, and throwing a single red shell after you pass an item box so you lose your defense, but you can't do anything against a triple.

-PXG-

Jesus fucking Christ. Getting hit once leads to getting got another three times. Even better when you get no items or shitty ones.

-PXG-

GOD DAMNIT

I'm like legit angry, OF COURSE!!!!! Of fucking course. Sure...why not. Boomerang and bomb at the end,

Papercuts

All the communication errors and general bullshit is so worth it when you finally lead a race and get to super horn a blue shell.

Papercuts

Had to horn a red shell, got another right after. It's christmas in June right now.

GOD DAMNIT

I'm like legit angry, OF COURSE!!!!! Of fucking course. Sure...why not. Boomerang and bomb at the end,

If we get to OT3 Of Course should be the title. I shout OF FUCKING COURSE so often during this game.

-PXG-

Had to horn a red shell, got another right after. It's christmas in June right now.

If we get to OT3 Of Course should be the title. I shout OF FUCKING COURSE so often during this game.

Man, my voice is going to be gone and its not even E3 yet. I'm screaming so loud at this stupid game.

Vargas

I was in the game with BY2K and others an hour ago. Fun times but when I get a communication error I just want to snap the gamepad in half.

-PXG-

2nd to 10th... this is a goddamn nightmare. The RNG is fucking bullshit tonight. Just straight up retarded. Fuck being good and forget having perfect execution. Let's just hit me everything in the universe for the hell of it. At least the last race was somewhat better

DaBoss

2nd to 10th... this is a goddamn nightmare. The RNG is fucking bullshit tonight. Just straight up retarded. Fuck being good and forget having perfect execution. Let's just hit me everything in the universe for the hell of it. At least the last race was somewhat better
I think you should take a break dude lol.

Top Bottom