• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Kimosabae

Banned
What kind of mechanical breakdown are you looking for, exactly? Driving techniques? That's all listed in the game's digital manual already. Vehicle setups are mostly a matter of what statistics you deem to be the most important for your racing style. If you're wondering about course-specific strategies, start by practicing some time trials, either against the staff ghost or even downloading some other random ghosts and watching what sort of lines they take. Outside of knowing how to power-slide and knowing what all the items do, there's only so much pre-reading you can do that'll really help outside of just getting experience for yourself.

I didn't know the game had a digital manual. I was miffed about what I saw in the box, actually.

But yeah, I figured since this series has been around forever, there would be standard techniques and core gameplay mechanics that enthusiasts would exploit to win, outside the obvious stuff like drifting.

I'm looking to learn specifics about how the Wake Boost mechanic works (i.e., how long and how close do I need to tail someone for it to take effect), drifting (and how it's different between vehicles), the significance of the customization options, a breakdown of the items (what do coins do in this game?), weight classes (and how those effect gameplay) etc. etc.

You just need to get used to the bike's drifting style.

Yeah i've tried the purple and the flame bikes but not the sports or rocket looking one. At least, with the first two I have some idea on how to use em, the other ones i'm like @___@ STAAHP HITTING THE WALLS BRO!

505zoom

don't you find that you get more connection errors when you share the connection with other devices?

I don't even use my laptop while racing because I feel I see more errors

I get just as many when doing nothing else.

Last night I was streaming through the living room PC, and had GAF + the stream (for chatting) playing on the laptop. No noticeable change in comm errors versus earlier in the day when I was only playing the game.

I would guess that depends on your connection though. I have 12+ up / 60ish down comcast.

Vylash

I didn't know the game had a digital manual. I was miffed about what I saw in the box, actually.

But yeah, I figured since this series has been around forever, there would be standard techniques and core gameplay mechanics that enthusiasts would exploit to win, outside the obvious stuff like drifting.

I'm looking to learn specifics about how the Wake Boost mechanic works (i.e., how long and how close do I need to tail someone for it to take effect), drifting (and how it's different between vehicles), the significance of the customization options, a breakdown of the items (what do coins do in this game?), weight classes (and how those effect gameplay) etc. etc.

Just play the game man, learn as you go, it's the Mario Kart way

Feltrol

Banned
Yeah i've tried the purple and the flame bikes but not the sports or rocket looking one. At least, with the first two I have some idea on how to use em, the other ones i'm like @___@ STAAHP HITTING THE WALLS BRO!

The latter ones are better, in my opinion. Just keep practicing! :)

Vylash

ima eat so fuck all of you

image.php

Not sure what to think about those bikes, they're kinda hard to control (Never played the Wii one)

So far online is organized chaos. I figure once I get used to the tracks, I won't get such bad places...hopefully

Zing

Banned
If anyone's up for it, I'm experimenting on a new tournament called Shy Guy Sunday.
1960 0189 3730

Basically, the only rule is you must pick a Shy Guy.
This is a short event which will end around midnight.
I joined but was only one there, so I left.

Doorman

As soon as I voted Rainbow Road I said aloud to myself "wait, why did I do that?"
4th? I'll take it after the way that was headed.

I really wish I recorded that first minute at Donut Plains. Never have I been hit with such an elaborate string of combos in all my years of karting.

Prototype

Practice with GAF or solo? such a tough choice xD
Just play for fun. The game can fuck you so hard sometimes that it's pointless to even have hope.

I can go from dominating one race to getting last in the next even tho i know the tracks well. Sometimes you get item raped and unlucky and there's little you can do.

Just give up hope and accept all fates.

Top Bottom