• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

I really think DLC, especially characters are inevitable with this game. That WarioWare thread idea really got me going. I want to live in that Universe. Finally spotted another Baby today!

I want to believe.

That 3D World dino thing is not something I would expect a faker do, but maybe the faker knew that.

The renders look consistent as well. They should have taken a pic when the new characters selected to make it believable.
Ive seen, myself included, Plessie in character roster requests for mario kart. Its not that unusual especially when you consider honey queen bee was a racer

DaBoss

Ive seen, myself included, Plessie in character roster requests for mario kart. Its not that unusual especially when you consider honey queen bee was a racer
I've never seen anyone request it. I know honey queen was in MK7, but most fakes have highly requested characters in them so that threw me off.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I jumped into worldwide for the first time since the GAF lobby was lacking people. You weren't kidding when you said it was a joke compared to GAF. Won on Tick Tock Clock and only one guy was decent enough to finish within like 10-15 seconds of me. Was going to leave, but got to play Bowser's Castle (love it) and despite getting hit by two reds and a blue (and a less than perfect run) I still never fell out of first and beat everyone but that one decent guy by 10 seconds.

Had I not gotten hit and raced a bit better I might have lapped someone :\

All those character additions would be great. Diddy and Birdo should've been in the original game, Kamek/E. Gadd had their Mario Kart chances foiled (the former was meant to be in MK64, the latter MKDS) and Plessie's a good 'wut' addition along the lines of Queen B.

Wonder (assuming it's legit) if there'll be another DLC pack down the year for another group of characters? Bowser Jr., King Boo, Petey, Queen B and THE FUNK.

SM239

Wtf is this? Where's my Super Baby Pack DLC with Baby Bowser, DK Jr., Baby Wario, Baby Waluigi and, of course, Metal Baby Mario.

Davey Cakes

I really don't understand leaked images like those. Why'd they leak? Who took the pics? Why couldn't one of the new characters be selected, rather than DK?

No reason to consider it legitimate at all.

What's the point of fake leaks anyway? Is it that fun to get peoples' hopes up?

All those character additions except for Shiddy Kong would be A-OK in my book. Hell, they could yoink a lot of designs from 3D World for all I care; pixies instead of babies, Cat Goomba instead of Pink Gold Peach, even standard enemies.

I know a lot of people are both better at Mario Kart than I am and have also put in a lot more time than I have, so I know before I say this that I'm just inviting responses or laughing at me for being terrible at video games. Having said that, what little time I have to play games right now has been taken over with trying to 3-Star the Star Cup on 150cc. I know it's not necessary, but it's something I was trying to do, and then kept trying to do, and now I've invested so much time in it that I refuse to quit.

However, it's driving me insane. I think I'm about to snap. I think the height of my madness occurred yesterday evening when I was what couldn't have been more than 10 feet away from the finish line on Mount Wario before being hit by a blue shell. That feeling of helplessness as I know that the banana I had is powerless to defend me against the impending attack of the blue shell is one of the lowest points of my life. Suddenly, the lyrics of Linkin Park made sense to me.

I can't begin to tell you how sick I am of Sunshine Airport and how much I absolutely loathe Dolphin Shoals.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I found 150CC quite easy to three star. Perhaps it was just luck. However Mirror Mode was a pain for Star Cup and Dolphin Shoals was my biggest peeve. Someone I'd always end up in second. No matter how well I drove, the CPU seemed to zoom off ahead.

The funny thing is when I finally three star'd it my final item on Mount Wario was a triple red shell that I shot at the guy in front in quick succession. For once I was the asshole who stole victory from the leader and it felt good!

In some ways it feels easier to get three stars in this, like all you need to do if come in first everytime no matter how well you actually performed for most of the race.

The good news...new battle mode.

The bad news...pleassy? Really? REALLY?!?

https://twitter.com/TiLMEN/status/475999706473304064/photo/1

We've come to the conclusion it is fake. Also never trust a man who thinks you can post 1080p 3DS trailers.

RiggyRob

I know a lot of people are both better at Mario Kart than I am and have also put in a lot more time than I have, so I know before I say this that I'm just inviting responses or laughing at me for being terrible at video games. Having said that, what little time I have to play games right now has been taken over with trying to 3-Star the Star Cup on 150cc. I know it's not necessary, but it's something I was trying to do, and then kept trying to do, and now I've invested so much time in it that I refuse to quit.

However, it's driving me insane. I think I'm about to snap. I think the height of my madness occurred yesterday evening when I was what couldn't have been more than 10 feet away from the finish line on Mount Wario before being hit by a blue shell. That feeling of helplessness as I know that the banana I had is powerless to defend me against the impending attack of the blue shell is one of the lowest points of my life. Suddenly, the lyrics of Linkin Park made sense to me.

I can't begin to tell you how sick I am of Sunshine Airport and how much I absolutely loathe Dolphin Shoals.

I swear I saw someone claim you can snipe the Blue Shell with a banana by throwing it in front of you as it's heading down. Completely unfounded of course, so it's probably bullshit, but I guess it could make sense - bananas and Bob-Ombs are the only items that are thrown in front of you into the air at an angle, and breaking the Blue Shell before it explodes is a plausible way to avoid it.

Edit:

Believe in the power of the dong. Seriously, use a heavy character. They have the best speed. Then just get a kart combination you're comfortable with and you will be able to get through it with ease.

Start with 100cc to ease yourself to the courses.

Also, Sunshine Airport and Dolphin Shoals are GOAT and have amazing music.

I thought it was recommended to use high acceleration characters instead, because the CPUs speed scales to match yours or something like that?

DaBoss

Believe in the power of the dong. Seriously, use a heavy character. They have the best speed. Then just get a kart combination you're comfortable with and you will be able to get through it with ease.

I thought it was recommended to use high acceleration characters instead, because the CPUs speed scales to match yours or something like that?
Holy shit, really? Then screw high speed lol.

Yea, higher acceleration would be better in that case.

DontBlink

I felt exactly the same way yesterday (before I finally got 3 start everywhere) and Dolphin Shoals is definitely my least favorite new track. It just feels so slow being underwater so much.

It sucks being hit with a blue shell right after the last turn, but not much you can do except hope to somehow hold onto the horn item long enough.

Grizzo

So uhh...fakes? I know it's 4chan but.....

oh woah if those are fake than can I just say I don't know what to believe anymore? That's some high-quality editing right there.

We live in a world where some people have masterful Photoshop skills and can sow the seeds of doubt in just about everything.

Edit: Dammit so that's fake :(

Just showing what could have been hurts a little. Nintendo please, take notes.

DLC makes sense though, especially since we have that free car... kart thing thing coming later in Japan for free.

AND we have an in-game "ad poster" with Birdo on it already there.

I just want a few proper battle arenas. Preferably at least one from the N64 game.

I would suspect it would be a thing where they send out a large patch to the game with the content and say it's to celebrate the sales of the game.

Grizzo

DLC makes sense though, especially since we have that free car... kart thing thing coming later in Japan for free.

AND we have an in-game "ad poster" with Birdo on it already there.

I just want a few proper battle arenas. Preferably at least one from the N64 game.

I would suspect it would be a thing where they send out a large patch to the game with the content and say it's to celebrate the sales of the game.

About this, that free Mercedes kart looks so out of place in the Mario Kart universe. But I guess there was a sweet deal behind the scene between Nintendo and Mercredes-Benz.

RiggyRob

Holy shit, really? Then screw high speed lol.

Yea, higher acceleration would be better in that case.

I thought so, I think that's what other people in this thread have recommended. Plus high acceleration helps when you're getting hit with items all the time.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hmm, I never considered Plessie as a playable character before...kind of like that.

GRW810

Those leaked screen type of stories are never true. Not even bothering entertaining the idea that it is real.

That said, MK DLC is a must. More tracks, characters and modes please Nintendo.

Berordn

Hmm, I never considered Plessie as a playable character before...kind of like that.

Plessie would be a pretty good choice, a new unique character even if it is a bit reminiscent of Yoshi.

That "leak" hit all the right buttons except for battle mode still taking place on Mario Circuit, but there's only so much clever Photoshopping can do I guess.

Grizzo

I feel you. I lost track of all the times I had to replay the Mushroom Cup because of Sweet Sweet Canyon. All I can say is keep trying and hope for the best (i.e. getting a super horn to avoid that damn blue shell).

-PXG-

Seriously. FUCK Dolphin Shoals. The game just doesn't want me to get first place on that level. RNG is fucking ruthless. No matter how good or bad you are, you're gonna get screwed over.

I was trying to 3-star the Star Cup just a few moments ago until two red shells put me from first to seventh. Nope.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
wtf are people not playing? got into an empty lobby five times.

There was only one person when I tried earlier. Seems completely dead this morning.

Sitting in the lobby now.

Seriously. FUCK Dolphin Shoals. The game just doesn't want me to get first place on that level. RNG is fucking ruthless. No matter how good or bad you are, you're gonna get screwed over.

I was trying to 3-star the Star Cup just a few moments ago until two red shells put me from first to seventh. Nope.

Me and my brother were playing yesterday, he was trying to hold off the AI and prevent BS so I could 3 star some of mirror mode. AI wasn't having any of that, two races in a row I got blue shelled and he got red shelled at the very end of the airport and one single AI opponent zoomed right by both of us to take the win.

Grizzo

At a minimum, do you have to get first place every race to get 1 star on a prix or...?

1st place on every race = 3 stars

1st place on three races and 2nd on the fourth one = 2/1 star (I don't know how it works but I usually only get 1)

1st place on one or two races and then any other ranking on the other races = you get nothing

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Plessie would be a pretty good choice, a new unique character even if it is a bit reminiscent of Yoshi.

And out of all the characters, I feel Plessie would feel the most "organic" to be DLC since 3D World was in development alongside Mario Kart 8. I can actually accept that being a character not ready by release unlike dudes like Diddy and Birdo who'd just feel cheap since they're main characters.

Even though that DLC is pretty much confirmed fake, it would be cool. Well, the new battle modes would only really be fun if they added new battle arenas in the same patch. Otherwise, still a pretty meh "DLC" (except for the new characters).

HIR0

Just bought the Wii U Mario Kart bundle.
How can I join the Gaf lobbies?
Also, how do you drift? I haven't played a Mario Kart since the N64 iteration.

Just bought the Wii U Mario Kart bundle.
How can I join the Gaf lobbies?
Also, how do you drift? I haven't played a Mario Kart since the N64 iteration.

Read the OP for the lobbies.

R or ZR button for drifting via Game Pad or Pro Controller, I don't what the button is for Wiimote-based schemes.

Top Bottom