• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Ulysses 31

Just bought the Wii U Mario Kart bundle.
How can I join the Gaf lobbies?
Also, how do you drift? I haven't played a Mario Kart since the N64 iteration.

Judging by the stories here, prepare to get your ass handed when joining GAF lobbies as green as you are now.

And you have to quote the first post to see the codes to join the lobbies.

Ctr+f for email

Entropia

No One Remembers
Finally had a chance to play this over the weekend. Super fun game and gorgeous to look at. Sort of want a Wii U for this!

MegalonJJ

Banned
Is it possible to get 2 stars on a cup? I understand the conditions for 1 star and 3 star, but I'm not sure if 2 star is possible.

DrStiles

Is it possible to get 2 stars on a cup? I understand the conditions for 1 star and 3 star, but I'm not sure if 2 star is possible.

I've gotten two stars before. Couldn't tell you how it happened, I want to say 3 1st place finishes and maybe a 3rd place. But it can be done

Grizzo

I've gotten two stars before. Couldn't tell you how it happened, I want to say 3 1st place finishes and maybe a 3rd place. But it can be done

That's so frustrating. Even though when I'm trying to 3 stars a cup, I start over if I get anything less than 1st place.

I can't be the only one who seriously wants some MK8 "sponsor" t-shirts, right? Because seriously, all of those fake banners and stuff would look awesome on t-shirts.

I took the hilarious Burning DK sports drink one and edited it for use on t-shirts.

pUnv3yZ.png

cu0adZC.jpg

Tell me you wouldn't buy a burning dong shirt.

I'm pretty sure the stars go like this:

54-56 Points = 1 star
57-59 Points = 2 stars
60 Points = 3 stars

It's possible to get as low as 4th in 1 race as long as you come 1st in the rest.

DrStiles

That's so frustrating. Even though when I'm trying to 3 stars a cup, I start over if I get anything less than 1st place.

Yea I usually stop and start over too, but sometimes it's just too close to the end haha. It's the worst when it happens on the last race though.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

I can confirm that when you run a kickass race and nintendo decides to lovingly violate waluigis tender rear with 1000 red shells and force him into second, 30 metres from the finish line then yes, that is considered a 2 star performance.

mktrOOp

Banned
Wow, I had a race with 8 other guys.
I was at the last place, got a green shell, this shell hit me after it bounced of a wall.

Fuck this game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Those were some amazingly placed bananas I ran into on the final lap. Or unluckily placed. Fell down from the top part after gliding and there they were, no chance to avoid them :(

that was everyone's combo. bowser shells and giant banana were too good

I love DD but specific items for characters should never come back

Really? I was the only of my group of friends who used them. Everyone else leaned more towards the Toad/Koopa combo. And YES, they should come back, as should two drivers. Those things added layers of skill and strategy that has been missing ever since.

I'm pretty sure the stars go like this:

54-56 Points = 1 star
57-59 Points = 2 stars
60 Points = 3 stars

It's possible to get as low as 4th in 1 race as long as you come 1st in the rest.

I've received 1 star at 53 points, and 2 stars at 60 points.

I'm pretty sure the game calculates your "performance" to a degree as well as your score.

In other words, if you want 3 stars, avoid going off-road without some kind of speed boost, don't drive into any stationary banana peels, or run into any course hazards.

At least, I'm pretty sure that stuff was a factor in MKW and MK7.

I've received 1 star at 53 points, and 2 stars at 60 points.

I'm pretty sure the game calculates your "performance" to a degree as well as your score.

In other words, if you want 3 stars, avoid going off-road without some kind of speed boost, don't drive into any stationary banana peels, or run into any course hazards.

At least, I'm pretty sure that stuff was a factor in MKW and MK7.
That's pretty interesting. I didn't know it was possible to get 60 points and not 3 stars. Every cup I've placed 1st in all 4 races have given up the 3 stars which wasn't the case at all in MK7. You also had to meet a time requirement I believe.

The not going off road stuff wasn't true as I got a 3 stars in MK7 mirror mode after driving off the track (to my surprise).

HGStormy

Banned
The soul of Karting lives on.

Played 3 games earlier, got hit by at least 15 items in each one.

Needless to say I was chillin' in 12th

Koodo

Banned
I just need Baby Park to return.

Please. I must experience that hot mess with 12 players.

And it would make a great battle course in the currently shitty battle mode.

how does one do voice chat?
It's friends only so you have to create your own room and invite people in.

Once you have it set up I believe that you hit the "-" button to activate the mic and start chatting.

Edit: Also, it's lobbies only so no chatting during races.

That's probably for the best though, I would have been permabanned long ago for some of the obscenities I've hurled during races :{

Top Bottom