• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Dr Prob

Banned
With the GAF tourney empty and not being able to join friends in worldwides (full rooms?), decided to take a crack at some of the WR ghosts. The results were not pretty! Like six seconds off on Twisted Mansion, and that's one of the most straightforward. I suck.

Anyway, after everyone recovers from E3 we should have a Toad tournament in honor of the Captain getting his own game. It would have Toads in it. Toads as far as the eye could see.

Vylash

With the GAF tourney empty and not being able to join friends in worldwides (full rooms?), decided to take a crack at some of the WR ghosts. The results were not pretty! Like six seconds off on Twisted Mansion, and that's one of the most straightforward. I suck.

Anyway, after everyone recovers from E3 we should have a Toad tournament in honor of the Captain getting his own game. It would have Toads in it. Toads as far as the eye could see.

Until one fucker picks a heavy

Best as in easiest? You just have to win a Grand Prix in any engine class to unlock a character. The best way is just playing regular cups on your preferred difficulty level. The easiest would be mushroom cup on 50cc all day long
I keep winning cups trying to 3-star them and I don't unlock any more characters. I'm still getting the extra karts and wheels and gliders though. does it have to be a unique difficult to unlock a character? I guess I'll just try a 100cc and see if I unlock anyone.

BikoBiko

I keep winning cups trying to 3-star them and I don't unlock any more characters. I'm still getting the extra karts and wheels and gliders though. does it have to be a unique difficult to unlock a character? I guess I'll just try a 100cc and see if I unlock anyone.
As far as I know, just finish top 3 in all cups on 50, 100 and 150cc should unlock all characters.

Zemm

Some dude on gamefaqs is claiming they made server updates overnight, and that the connection error thing is fixed. BUT he claims they also removed spectating.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. This would make waiting for games (especially trying to join friends' games) feel like a MUCH bigger chore/hassle...

I just had a communications error, so not fixed :(

Dr Prob

Banned
Until one fucker picks a heavy

Doubt anyone here would mess with the sanctity of a Toad Tourney.

does it have to be a unique difficult to unlock a character? I guess I'll just try a 100cc and see if I unlock anyone.

Once you win a cup, repeating that specific cup/speed won't unlock any more characters.

If you were to only play 150cc/Mirror mode, you'd unlock everyone (14 characters, 16 cups).

Source: That's what I did, now I even have Ludwig!

Roo

I've been playing online in an worldwide room nonstop for a few hours and people come and go without any problem.

McNum

So, I bought a Wii U thanks to the Treehouse thing at E3 selling me on so many upcoming games that I could justify getting one. My Wii U came with Mario Kart 8.

I have no idea how to properly play Mario Kart, in any version. But since I have it, and my god is it a pretty looking game, I should give it a try. Where do I start? I have a Wii, so I can pretty much use any control scheme other than Wii U Pro.

In any case, what's the biggest difference between a kart and a bike in the game? I figure I should commit to one of those. And how do I avoid walls better?

Well, I still have a ton of stuff to unlock, so some of it will come through practice, but if anyone has any tips for a total newb at Mario Kart, I'd like to hear them. I'm decent at Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed on PC, though. Can I use anything I've learned from that in this game?

SoldnerKei

after this E3 a Wii U seems like a deal, thou I want to wait until Hyrule Warriors comes out, now what I would like to know, from the people that bought this game and exchanged the code for a free game, did de download code had an expiration date?

because if I can buy Mario Kart 8 right now, redeem the code and wait until I get a Wii U to use it, that would be great

IamAwake

Just picked up Mario Kart 8! Can't wait to start. Any opinions on what free game to get? My options are Wii U Party or Pikmin 3. Any ideas?

Vylash

Just picked up Mario Kart 8! Can't wait to start. Any opinions on what free game to get? My options are Wii U Party or Pikmin 3. Any ideas?

If it's between those 2, Pikmin 3, Wii Party U is fun, but only if you've got people around you to play it with

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, I bought a Wii U thanks to the Treehouse thing at E3 selling me on so many upcoming games that I could justify getting one. My Wii U came with Mario Kart 8.

I have no idea how to properly play Mario Kart, in any version. But since I have it, and my god is it a pretty looking game, I should give it a try. Where do I start? I have a Wii, so I can pretty much use any control scheme other than Wii U Pro.

In any case, what's the biggest difference between a kart and a bike in the game? I figure I should commit to one of those. And how do I avoid walls better?

Well, I still have a ton of stuff to unlock, so some of it will come through practice, but if anyone has any tips for a total newb at Mario Kart, I'd like to hear them. I'm decent at Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed on PC, though. Can I use anything I've learned from that in this game?

It's not really a complicated game. Get familiar with the weight classes since that determines your base stats. Then the bodies, wheels, and gliders will modify those base stats. Hit start on the part select screen to see them, I'm not sure why they felt the need to "hide" the stats in this game.

Karts/Bikes/ATVs are basically the same, aside from the few bikes (Sport Bike, Jet Bike, Comet, Yoshi Bike) that have inward drifting. You'll feel the difference between inward and outward drifting pretty easily.

Practice makes perfect. Start on 50cc and time trials. Make sure you're drifting.

McNum

Yeah, I tried Daisy on a Sports Bike. She sure liked the inner apex of the corners a lot. A little too much.

Actually, a more general question. If I plug in headphones to the Gamepad, does that mute the TV sound, too?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know what causes the 103-9999 error? Google wasn't much help.

Get a Wii U pro controller whenever you can! It's awesome!

As far as vehicles I think it's best to just practice until you find something you like. Learn the courses! You can try time trials and download ghosts.

Don't be afraid to race in the GAF tournament either. You will get your ass handed to you at first but you'll learn from some highly skilled players and you will be kicking ass against randoms in no time!

Edit: like somebody else said learn about the weight classes and find one you're comfortable with.

McNum

Get a Wii U pro controller whenever you can! It's awesome!

As far as vehicles I think it's best to just practice until you find something you like. Learn the courses! You can try time trials and download ghosts.

Don't be afraid to race in the GAF tournament either. You will get your ass handed to you at first but you'll learn from some highly skilled players and you will be kicking ass against randoms in no time!

Edit: like somebody else said learn about the weight classes and find one you're comfortable with.
I'm doing the fighting game thing here. Don't look at anything too technical and find something that feels comfortable to play with. Peach seems pretty nice so far. Daisy, too. And of course Luigi. Bowser was kind of a bust.

I notice I'm missing SO many shortcuts on the track, maybe they're easier to hit in faster classes.

I have that red Xenoblade Chronicles Wii Classic Controller Pro, I think I'll try that when I'm not playing off-TV, of course. Backwards compatibility with controllers is SO nice.

Also, I should do the Wii -> Wii U transfer thing at some point. Retire the good old Launch Wii. Or just use it as a slimmer GameCube.

Woah, was having quite a lucky streak just now.

Anyway, after one race I noticed that the gamepad and the TV showed different rankings?! Is this a common bug? Which are the correct ones?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

I started on 100cc and moved on to 150cc. By the time I had finished all those I think I had everyone unlocked

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm doing the fighting game thing here. Don't look at anything too technical and find something that feels comfortable to play with. Peach seems pretty nice so far. Daisy, too. And of course Luigi. Bowser was kind of a bust.

I notice I'm missing SO many shortcuts on the track, maybe they're easier to hit in faster classes.

Peach and Daisy are in the same weight class so they are effectively the same. Luigi is a notch above them. And of course, Bowser is in the heaviest class.

Easier shortcuts generally require mushrooms to boost through rough terrain without losing speed, if you do them without a mushroom it will hurt you more than help. Sometimes it just cuts a corner, other times there will be a ramp or something to do a trick off of for a boost. Some more challenging shortcuts just require you to hit it right and not mess up, like the ones at the end of DK Jungle and Cloudtop Cruise.

Tell me about it! Just did my first 6 races against GAF and I came last in all but one.

I was Paul BTW...

Lol I was like that at first! But now I'm usually 2-6 most races with a few wins every now and then and usually top 3 against randoms.

I have that red Xenoblade Chronicles Wii Classic Controller Pro, I think I'll try that when I'm not playing off-TV, of course. Backwards compatibility with controllers is SO nice.

Also, I should do the Wii -> Wii U transfer thing at some point. Retire the good old Launch Wii. Or just use it as a slimmer GameCube.

As long as you don't use Rosalina you'll be fine! Lol she's actually pretty good but all these Rosalina users hate on the best character in the Mario universe
Pink Gold Peach :)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
OK, I love this game but something is REALLY fucking me off. Why can't I invite my friend and join online with him? 50% of the time we try to join each other and it says "unable to join", even if it's not full. It's just crazy to me how cumbersome it is to join online with a friend.

OK, I love this game but something is REALLY fucking me off. Why can't I invite my friend and join online with him? 50% of the time we try to join each other and it says "unable to join", even if it's not full. It's just crazy to me how cumbersome it is to join online with a friend.

Thanks to the server update (which removed the option to spectate full rooms), joining a friend will be just as complicated as it was in Wii. Hopefully it's just a temporary trade-off, though.

...However, you're saying that the room isn't even full... so I have no idea what's up with that. =/

McNum

So, is the Comet bike one of those things that's hard to learn, but powerful if you do? Because I put Peach on one and she's just owning the race now. It has a horrible starting speed, but it charges boost so fast and it doesn't so much drift as throw out an anchor and turn.

I think I may have found my weapon of choice for now. Comet Peach. Because that makes so much sense to do for a newbie. Still, it feels comfortable, somehow. And that's really what matters for now.

Actually, come to think of it, can multiple players use the same character online? I mean if Peach = Daisy in stats, I have a backup, but still... prefer Peach.

I gotta ask, of course, will I unlock another Comet-like bike that's the same but more? I think I could handle more.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to the server update (which removed the option to spectate full rooms), joining a friend will be just as complicated as it was in Wii. Hopefully it's just a temporary trade-off, though.

...However, you're saying that the room isn't even full... so I have no idea what's up with that. =/

My friend is telling me there's spots, so who knows. Also, I'm getting error 103-9999 a lot tonight, I've never had it before.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There is a tornado warning right next to me, and I just lost power. But i'm trying to get on mario kart anyway

this is how i'm going to die

ChrisD

There is a tornado warning right next to me, and I just lost power. But i'm trying to get on mario kart anyway

this is how i'm going to die

LOL

The DS was my bro years back when we were getting constant tornado warnings. (Never had any actual tornadoes though.) LOTS of Mario Kart DS and Pokemon.

Top Bottom