• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Jagsrock

Banned
Good character/part combination is mandatory, you need good speed to keep up with or pass the pack and good acceleration to get moving when you get hit.

And of course, just getting better at the game. The more you play with GAF (or other good lobbies) the better you will get. You'll naturally pick up on what other players do and implement that into your own playing to keep up. You might not notice yourself getting better, but when you go back to the AI even 150cc seems like a complete joke that has to cheat just to keep up.

Ok thanks for the tips. Time to get practicing!

This game badly needs some DLC content.

- Original battle mode courses
- Further multiplayer modes
- Stat recording
- Balance patch (currently if you're not in the top 3 after the first 20 seconds it's extremely unlikely that you'll win)

BONUS

- A few extra characters (Professor E Gadd would be nice)

The graphics, courses and music are probably my favourite in the series. The game just feels a bit barebones at the moment.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This game badly needs some DLC content.

- Original battle mode courses
- Further multiplayer modes
- Stat recording
- Balance patch (currently if you're not in the top 3 after the first 20 seconds it's extremely unlikely that you'll win)

BONUS

- A few extra characters (Professor E Gadd would be nice)

The graphics, courses and music are probably my favourite in the series. The game just feels a bit barebones at the moment.

Need to fix MKTV too. Even if they keep the dumb time restrictions, at least let us pick the start and end time and camera angle for each highlight clip. Practically useless as-is, since it's so difficult (if not impossible) for it to catch the highlights you want it to.

And fix the Bowser's Castle bug, and the framerate bug. Give players outside first place less coins. Give us the timer outside time trials. Keep working on fixing the comm errors. Fix voting so it gives at least a little weight to what the majority picked. Fix acceleration. Among countless other things I'm forgetting.

Love the game, but there are a lot of little things they could do to make it better. Plus big things, I'd love to see a full expansion with new cups and some new characters, maybe bring back some other game modes.

I swear red shells in this game have a very odd behavior. Like It's supposed to hit the player in front of you, but it sometimes hits a player in a higher position.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, acceleration is broken still?

Unless they already fixed it, yeah. I don't know that the game has been patched yet at all, has it?

I swear red shells in this game have a very odd behavior. Like It's supposed to hit the player in front of you, but it sometimes hits a player in a higher position.

Seems situational, but yeah, it can be hard to tell sometimes. They are smart enough to skip people with a star most of the time, and if the person is only barely in front if you it will usually skip them too.

Only thing that bothers me is when the shell tries to get on it's "route," instead of flying straight toward the person it will initially shoot to the side, and sometimes that causes it to hit something (like a trolly, or one of those stone wheels) and break. Wish they would fix that.

BizzyBum

What I hate about red shells is you sometimes get the alert that ones coming but it doesn't always mean it's for you but rather the person behind you. The alert should only pop up if it's gunning for you.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
So in order to win, do I just have to learn how to go Super Heavyweight in a kart? My Rosalina on a bike just cannot get first place over Bowser for the life of me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Serious question - how is this for single player? Haven't really played a MK game since MK64, and I need a good fun game for my WiiU. Also, the promo to get Wind Waker is pretty rad...

BizzyBum

Serious question - how is this for single player? Haven't really played a MK game since MK64, and I need a good fun game for my WiiU. Also, the promo to get Wind Waker is pretty rad...

It's pretty boring, just has Grand Prix and Time Trials like every other MK.

The main draw is definitely multiplayer.

zeemumu

What I hate about red shells is you sometimes get the alert that ones coming but it doesn't always mean it's for you but rather the person behind you. The alert should only pop up if it's gunning for you.
I wasn't aware that they could track you in the air. Shot out of the sky so many times. They're a bit easier to outrun in this game though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I mean compared to MK7.

EDIT: Reading up on it, seems like going above full bars is useless. What the hell...

Yup, it's dumb. Anything over a full bar is wasted, and acceleration is the only stat that has that stipulation.

It's one of the many reasons why heavies are better in this game, as their stat distribution ends up working out well to even out that bar and have good stats elsewhere.

I've noticed this, and have seen 2 instances where I can kinda predict it.

1. Throwing them in midair is a crapshoot. Even though they can go off ramps and track people, they sometimes seem to go batshit insane when you do this and just skip people. I once had someone behind me with triple reds on Toad's Turnpike and took that ramp truck so I was midair when they got thrown and avoided them.

2. If someone is in hitstun they get passed by. This happens a lot with triples, even if you space out 2 shell throws one will usually just pass by after they get hit.

They do just pass people sometimes when they're really close and I'm not sure why that one happens. I've also had the blue shell just skip me before and do another lap.

m0t0k1

Yeah really strange once my sister was in 5th and i was in 3rd and it kinda was like a train so me 50 meters for 4th and 50 meter between 5th. And the red shell decided 4th nope did a circle arround the computer and hit me :(

RiggyRob

I mean compared to MK7.

EDIT: Reading up on it, seems like going above full bars is useless. What the hell...

Yup, it's dumb. Anything over a full bar is wasted, and acceleration is the only stat that has that stipulation.

It's one of the many reasons why heavies are better in this game, as their stat distribution ends up working out well to even out that bar and have good stats elsewhere.

What's this about full bars? I can't imagine a game that has incremental decimal values for each of the stats would punish you for going over a full integer in a stat... right?

What's this about full bars? I can't imagine a game that has incremental decimal values for each of the stats would punish you for going over a full integer in a stat... right?

I want to know this too! Like if I have 5.25 bars of speed it's like I have only 5 bars? I've seen this mentioned before but I never found out how it really works.

CassSept

Btw, shame that there are no expert staff ghosts for time trial. I just had an atrocious run at Melody Motorway, I cut corners way too close and fell of the track twice and I still beat the default ghost data. That's... really disappointing :/

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Not a lot to "unlock" I'm guessing?

In that case, I'll just pick up Xenoblade. Thanks!

There's plenty to unlock, you get the gold kart for completing Grand Prix and Mirror mode with 1 star in each cup, and you get gold wheels for beating all the staff Time Trials. Those are the main things, but you're always unlocking karts, wheels etc as you play. I actually finished all the single-player stuff today so I can finally focus on multiplayer.

ffdgh

I want to know this too! Like if I have 5.25 bars of speed it's like I have only 5 bars? I've seen this mentioned before but I never found out how it really works.

Everything else works like it should.it's just the acceleration that's screwed up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It's only like that with acceleration. Anything over a full bar there is wasted, but speed/weight/etc. still take in increments.

DaBoss

Desert courses suck.
CrimsonCommie has it right, but it only applies for acceleration, not any other stat.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There's plenty to unlock, you get the gold kart for completing Grand Prix and Mirror mode with 1 star in each cup, and you get gold wheels for beating all the staff Time Trials. Those are the main things, but you're always unlocking karts, wheels etc as you play. I actually finished all the single-player stuff today so I can finally focus on multiplayer.

I wouldn't say plenty. A lot of parts are just cosmetically different, and there isn't really that much to do in single player. For someone who never plans to play online or play local multi very much, I'm not sure I'd recommend the game. It's fantastic as a multiplayer game though.

Actually...

1.00-2.00 work normally.
2.25-2.75 is the same
3.00-3.75 is the same
4.00-4.75 is the same
5.00....eh no need to go higher than that lol.

Oh awesome! How do people figure this stuff out?

I should try a different setup eventually but I've just been running with PGP with the race car, not sure of it's name, with cyber slick and the bowser kite since I started playing.

ffdgh

I should try a different setup eventually but I've just been running with PGP with the race car, not sure of it's name, with cyber slick and the bowser kite since I started playing.

7 suffered from the same issue so it wasn't too hard to test it in 8 lol.

Wouldn't really worry about acceleration with PGP....or any heavy weight really. Their top
speed more than makes up for it most of the time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Kite vs parachute is a good way to go +/- .25. With the metals having bare minimum acceleration you will probably need to sacrifice some speed and go with a different wheel.

I think metals are a crappy weight class because of that, they don't have the full speed of a full heavy but they do have their crappy acceleration. They make up for it with handling, but IMO speed/accel are way more important.

Top Bottom