• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Flandy

So I've got a copy of MK8 just sitting here and no Wii U to play it on. Ordered one of the refurbished ones from Nintendo a few hours and MK8 is just now staring at me taunting me because I can't actually play it :( This is going to be my first Mario Kart game and I'm hype as fuck

CassSept

By the way, what sort of foul sorcery did Nintendo use on Dry Dry Desert? The stage is still boring but it looks stunning, the lightning is beautiful, I was seriously shocked just how great that stage looks when I first played it.

Piccoro

There was a MK8 tournament yesterday at my hone town. My 15 year-old brother practiced at my house all Saturday.
He easily won the tournament yesterday, and the first prize was a Wii U+MK8.
My family now has 3 Wii U's, lol

Anyway, I haven't joined any Neogaf tournaments yet because I've been busy solving MK8's error 118-0502. I've solved it and posted it here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=116584319#post116584319
Anyone that has trouble connecting online in MK8 (usually due to the Thomson/Technicolor routers), can use my solution.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So I've got a copy of MK8 just sitting here and no Wii U to play it on. Ordered one of the refurbished ones from Nintendo a few hours and MK8 is just now staring at me taunting me because I can't actually play it :( This is going to be my first Mario Kart game and I'm hype as fuck

good show, Flanders! Come join us online when you get it :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody playing? Was hoping to get a few races in before I leave.

Thinking about taking my Wii U on vacation with me and seeing if I have a little time to play in the afternoons. Help to keep me from getting rusty.

picked up a wii u last week. this is a pretty good game for first impressions of a console... but am i crazy or is there no settings/options? I just want to be able to do a horizontal split for split screen.

Any tips on 150cc? Seems like complete chaos and i've only gotten gold a few times from pure luck playing co-op.

Also, is it just me or this game vs previous, its way harder to get back to the front if your in the bottom half place? Because people in the rear always roll the good shit, its freaking chaos in the back, also i don't think star gives you as much as a boost before.

is the only way to unlock characters from getting gold in offline cups? Is it purely random? keep on getting more of these koopa turds when i just want rosalina :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
picked up a wii u last week. this is a pretty good game for first impressions of a console... but am i crazy or is there no settings/options? I just want to be able to do a horizontal split for split screen.

Any tips on 150cc? Seems like complete chaos and i've only gotten gold a few times from pure luck playing co-op.

Also, is it just me or this game vs previous, its way harder to get back to the front if your in the bottom half place? Because people in the rear always roll the good shit, its freaking chaos in the back, also i don't think star gives you as much as a boost before.

is the only way to unlock characters from getting gold in offline cups? Is it purely random? keep on getting more of these koopa turds when i just want rosalina :(

Yes, you're not crazy, this game has basically no options at all.

Tips for getting better, git gud. For real, while playing AI focus on acceleration so you can recover from hits well, their speed is based on yours so having a high speed vehicle doesn't necessarily help you. That doesn't really apply to online, acceleration helps, but lower speed means you will struggle to keep up.

All unlocks are completely random except the gold ones, so you just have to keep playing and eventually you will get it all.

Star was nerfed hard too, they need to give it a buff. It doesn't last very long at all and it doesn't increase your speed very much.

I reeeally disagree with this. It's an item that makes you invincible and knocks over any racer you touch. I'm glad they nerfed it.

That's kind of useless without an increase in speed though so it makes it unbalanced now in favor of racers with speed builds and makes the star inferior for shortcuts to the triple mushroom. They probably should have toned it down a little but it feels like they went too far.
But if you give the star its speed back, what purpose do the mushrooms serve? They won't let you plow through items and track obstacles and knock other players on their ass.

The star is perfectly balanced now, imo. The last thing I'm thinking when someone survives a lightning strike unharmed and steals first with ease is "Boy, I wish they'd buff that."
Not all of it's speed back but just a little boost. In MK7 it basically put you at top speed just below gold mushroom level which was a bit much. People have already started getting much smarter with their lightning use so that star invincibility is going to mean even less soon in high level rooms.

I think what it does accomplish is balancing the crazy 8 out more than the lucky 7 but maybe they could have made those two stars have slightly different properties or something.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
That's kind of useless without an increase in speed though so it makes it unbalanced now in favor of racers with speed builds and makes the star inferior for shortcuts to the triple mushroom. They probably should have toned it down a little but it feels like they went too far.

But if you give the star its speed back, what purpose do the mushrooms serve? They won't let you plow through items and track obstacles and knock other players on their ass.

The star is perfectly balanced now, imo. The last thing I'm thinking when someone survives a lightning strike unharmed and steals first with ease is "Boy, I wish they'd buff that."

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I think that's more of a problem with lightning than a problem with the star. When someone in 10-12 gets lightning it takes forever for 1-3 to go back to normal.

As is, I think the star should last a little longer or be a little faster. Not massively better, but right now I'd much rather get a triple or gold mushroom than a star. Protection from Lightning is more or less the only "great" thing about the star, which it shares with the (usually) superior Bullet Bill.

Azure J

I didn't realize inward drifting was so good. I've avoided it up until now because it felt so goofy compared to MK Wii.

I almost can't do Karts anymore because of this. This is also hilarious since in Mario Kart Wii I hated bike users with a passion.

I just wish if the Sports Bike frame were the standard (because it looks the best free) or if there were wheels that gave excellent top speed without giving bottom tier traction. Seeing the metagame actively change so that you play well and only get about 4th-6th (item usage notwithstanding) while others you butt heads with regularly during most races are getting consistent 1st/2nds is weird and I'm not getting left out of the party. :p

Dr Prob

Banned
Which one? There seems to be three.

The first one is where most everyone plays. Frantic is used sparingly and I don't know what's going on with the team one.

Once you add the code and race, it will be saved to your favorites. So you can either join through there or by using friends-recent players.

H1PSTER

The first one is where most everyone plays. Frantic is used sparingly and I don't know what's going on with the team one.

Once you add the code and race, it will be saved to your favorites. So you can either join through there or by using friends-recent players.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Thank you.

Raxus

5 more Grand Prix and 20 more Time Trails to go. I am finding Time Trails much much much more fun than Mirror Mode Grand Prix. Why did they program the AI to be such pricks to you?

Bumhat

My best advice is simply this: play online. I had several cups left on 150cc that I was struggling with so I started playing in the GAF tournament instead. After about three hours of absolute carnage I returned to 150cc and three-starred the whole thing.

Meohsix

Being In a room with the Canadian death squad DaBoss, ohlawd, hhma means I'm not going to do better than 4th. =/

EDIT: then I come in 1st lol

Top Bottom