• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

jnWake

I think it's pretty funny how we have 30 characters in the game yet it's almost impossible to find a room without dupes.

I blame the babies, even if I spotted two Baby Rosalinas earlier.

Anyone know about how many GAF tournament rooms typically run simultaneously? I feel like the commentary I see here is pretty often about a different room from the one I'm in.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think it's pretty funny how we have 30 characters in the game yet it's almost impossible to find a room without dupes.

I blame the babies, even if I spotted two Baby Rosalinas earlier.

I don't think i have seen a single person use baby mario/luigi, haha. Only the princesses.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
managed to score 2 firsts yesterday vs gaf. hooray. this was only after 'K' left though. whoever that is, it seemed like you dominated the gaf field for almost every race. My question is HOOW.

I'm a decent racer, but in gaf.... seems like 'I'm in second place on lap 2' equals getting absolutely ruined at about lap 3 half way through. never before in mario kart have I been so routinely slapped back to 8th-12th place after doing well. seems like dropping back to 4th or so will get you fucking wreeeeecked by a tight group of people desperately not trying to be 8th.

also, I had the absolutely classic 'I'm coming first!' followed by the blue shell 10 metres from the finish line to then take 4th. It was my first 'going to win' on gaf moment. My mind nearly broke.

Anyone know about how many GAF tournament rooms typically run simultaneously? I feel like the commentary I see here is pretty often about a different room from the one I'm in.

no idea how this works, but yeah, seems like there is more than 12 people from gaf playing pretty much constantly. (which is good).

I still don't like the points

clav

GAF, I don't know if I'm playing the same game, but I'm simply not enjoying Mario Kart 8 as the game feels like it was all visuals but the gameplay remains like the previous Wii version.

In fact, I think I'm going to go as far to say that the game is worse than Mario Kart 7.

I tried switching my setup to use the classic controller, which made the game a lot more playable than the GamePad. My wrists cramp and became sore with the GamePad design. Am I holding it wrong? I tried resting my index fingers on the Z triggers, but they still hurt. I tried resting my index fingers on the shoulder L/R buttons, but they still hurt. Maybe the 2DS ergonomics were just so good that I didn't mind Mario Kart 7's flaws?

I can't count how many times I've lost the lead and been hit by 2-3 other people to drag me down to 12 and can't really retake the lead ever again in both online and offline modes.

Overall this game and the Wii-U are just both entirely underwhelming.

Fbh

Good games but damn I just had the worst 5-6 races since I got this game. I got bombarded with items the whole time an got terrible items drops.

Mabye it's just me but I really feel the item drops sort of suck in this game at times. Like just now, I got almost nothing but mushrooms in every single race. It's impossible to catch up from the last places if people are getting tripple red shells, stars and bullet bill and I'm stuck with a single mushroom every time.

When I played a few hours ago I got a normal item drops (a mix of stuff) and managed to do great. But at times, like just now, it feels like the goes into "mushroom mode".

If I'm first, second or third place it's either a green shell or a coin. Any other position and I get mushrooms 9 out of 10 times

Instro

GAF, I don't know if I'm playing the same game, but I'm simply not enjoying Mario Kart 8 as the game feels like it was all visuals but the gameplay remains like the previous Wii version.

In fact, I think I'm going to go as far to say that the game is worse than Mario Kart 7.

I tried switching my setup to use the classic controller, which made the game a lot more playable than the GamePad. My wrists cramp and became sore with the GamePad design. Am I holding it wrong? I tried resting my index fingers on the Z triggers, but they still hurt. I tried resting my index fingers on the shoulder L/R buttons, but they still hurt. Maybe the 2DS ergonomics were just so good that I didn't mind Mario Kart 7's flaws?

I can't count how many times I've lost the lead and been hit by 2-3 other people to drag me down to 12 and can't really retake the lead ever again in both online and offline modes.

Overall this game and the Wii-U are just both entirely underwhelming.

Well MK7 benefits from limiting the races to 8 people, its easier for people to break out from the pack so player clumping is less of an issue. It also doesn't help you are using inferior car parts I imagine. As for your wrists, you may be holding it wrong?

clav

Well MK7 benefits from limiting the races to 8 people, its easier for people to break out from the pack so player clumping is less of an issue. It also doesn't help you are using inferior car parts I imagine. As for your wrists, you may be holding it wrong?

Maybe Nintendo needs to patch the game to 8 racers then. 12 is just game breaking. I've had to quit out of 150cc games so many times because I was so frustrated at the last lap result. All the items I get are coins or mushrooms when I fall behind while everyone else gets red shells or stars.

I didn't feel this way with Mario Kart 7.

As for car parts, what is your setup? For MK7, I liked a high handling setup (i.e. cloud, small wheels, and faster acceleration glider).

I don't know if I'm holding the gamepad wrong. What is the proper way?

Exentryk

B Justice, just before you got hit with the blue shell, the green you fired back ricochet off the wall and hit me. And here I thought I had the victory -.-

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I have a question, at the end of races in the top left it shows these stars and ive hit 4 of 6 statrs, still dont know wht this does, im afraid to hit 6

Top Bottom