• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Omzz

So is it starting to be just like MKW where bikes > karts?

Fuck bikes man, I wish they weren't in the game. It's called Mario KART. lol

i never used bikes in MKW. but just based on what ive seen and read it's no way like that. they are more equal

but after using it more, making those turns feels SO good

Finalow

there are some differences but from what I saw/read in the end the type of vehicle that you're using is that last thing that is going to influence a race.

I dunno, I'm starting to see a lot of sports bikes out there.

Less of a hitbox, more speed, and tighter drifting apparently.

Interesting I see a few in ww and regionals. It's mostly rosalina on a sport bike I run into. But still see more wario bowser and morton in circuit specials or gold standard karts.

prag16

Banned
I dunno, I'm starting to see a lot of sports bikes out there.

Less of a hitbox, more speed, and tighter drifting apparently.

I think it's pretty balanced. Some of the karts have higher speed. Also the drifting advantage is more arguable this time.

With karts you have to plan your entry a little more carefully in certain situations, but in the middle and exit of turns you can actually get a tighter drift than the inside drift bikes. Whereas with the bikes, you can make a later sharper entry if you so desire, but in the middle of the turns and on exit, it can push up towards the outside if you aren't careful.

And no wheelies.

I think I see the Formula One cars alone almost as often as all four inside drift bikes combined online. imo there's an actual choice this time around instead of "use the sport bikes or you can't compete".

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It's one of my favorite tracks but I think that may have more to do with the art design than anything else. Watch replays of those races will kill all my time, so much to see.

It's quite an "experience" the first few times you play it, especially if you have a good sound system cranking out the music, I'll give it that.

Alistair Roo said:
Ok, I need to work on my worldwide combo. My pipe frame one won't cut it.

With all of the firehopping Morton's and Bowser's in that room, Luigi doesn't stand much of a chance no matter what you go with.

Oh really? I know in mk7 they didn't count at all. So this game counts not just the 10 coins but total you collect from a race?

It has to be, I can't see any other way that I could have unlocked it so fast. It took me forever to get it in MK7. It would help a lot if we had a coin counter :/

Edit: Now that I think about it I rarely even finish races with coins due to all the item spam so it really has to be.

Grizzo

got a prettyyyyyy special guest in my room

photo7g1jm8.jpg

420 blaze it

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Piranha Plant from the first item box is such a pain. At least for everyone who doesn't get it.

Also, this 100cc nonsense is awful.

Roo

With all of the firehopping Morton's and Bowser's in that room, Luigi doesn't stand much of a chance no matter what you go with.
Yeah, if I want to reach my 9999VR I guess I need to do some changes.
Good thing I like Bowser lol

photo7g1jm8.jpg

420 blaze it
heheh
I've seen Michal Jackson, 50Cent, Charles Chaplin, Hitler and Britney Spears. The latter was a total bitch tho.

photo7g1jm8.jpg

420 blaze it

And somehow the guy to Snoop Dog's left with the beard looks way higher than he does. Go figure :lol
heheh
I've seen Michal Jackson, 50Cent, Charles Chaplin, Hitler and Britney Spears. The latter was a total bitch tho.
And I bet at least half of those were really ffdgh :p

Except for Britney, that was surely a member of the PopGAF mafia crew.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If they aren't going to show lap/race times, I wish they would at least show stats for how much you get battered and beaten during a race.

They don't need to...well aside from the weight stat being too strong and traction being useless. Just bump up the lower classes base speed.

Yeah, in MK7 it was +.25 speed and -.5 accel for each weight tier and it worked very well. 7 weight tiers means that naturally they would have to make some alterations, but the way they handled it here is just... lolwut?

Grizzo

What’s all that talk about nerfing the heavies?

I think they’re fine the way they are. I only play Wario and I still get thrown off the road by babies or Yoshis all the time

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I think they’re fine the way they are. I only play Wario and I still get thrown off the road by babies or Yoshis all the time

I think the weight issue is overstated (my Waluigi gets bumped off by lightweights all the time), but the stat balance is definitely in favor of heavies online due to the part modifiers.

prag16

Banned
Lol I love the way he looks and sounds lol.

The best is actually when playing as another character, and hearing Morton nearby during a race. So good.

Heavies do still get knocked around a fair bit. You can't just slam into everything and assert your will freely. But however much heavy characters do get knocked around, lighter ones still get knocked around more.

Grizzo

Edit: Okay now I'm playing with Wake and Prob and there's Michael Jackson (aka smoothcriminal) in our room

Yeah, if I want to reach my 9999VR I guess I need to do some changes.
Good thing I like Bowser lol

heheh

there should be a way to make Miis yell personal catchphrase. I'd like to race against Britney and hear her say "it's Britney bitch" every time she overtakes me.

I think the weight issue is overstated (my Waluigi gets bumped off by lightweights all the time), but the stat balance is definitely in favor of heavies online.

Ha, I see. Yeah, you're right. Doesn't prevent me from ending up in 5th or 6th place most of the time though, haha.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I think the weight issue is overstated (my Waluigi gets bumped off by lightweights all the time), but the stat balance is definitely in favor of heavies online due to the part modifiers.

I really disagree with the bolded. It's hard not to when you're knocked into the grass by a Bowser and then just keep sliding as if it were ice, and that's with a medium weight. Must be hell for light character players.

Grizzo

Heavies do still get knocked around a fair bit. You can't just slam into everything and assert your will freely. But however much heavy characters do get knocked around, lighter ones still get knocked around more.

but that's unfair, isn't that the only reason why heavies have been created in the first place? :(

I'm just kidding

Wario looks very disturbing on a bike. So much junk in the trunk...

tumblr_msvtwuaJph1sph5awo1_500.gif

^
That's not what it's like at all!!!

I really disagree with the bolded. It's hard not to when you're knocked into the grass by a Bowser and then just keep sliding as if it were ice, and that's with a medium weight. Must be hell for light character players.

My god, those curves on Royal Raceway. One of the heavies lightly tapped me there when I was driving as one of the babies and I flew behind the billboards ;_;

By the time I got out from behind there the group had nearly lapped me.

My god, those curves on Royal Raceway. One of the heavies lightly tapped me there when I was driving as one of the babies and I flew behind the billboards ;_;

By the time I got out from behind there the group had nearly lapped me.

Yeah the heavy vs light debate is real. Heavy's are far too powerful with speed and weight. There is no reason to play as a light or medium character online... really makes it sorta boring.

Top Bottom