• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

DaBoss

Jeopardy:

For 500 points.

Answer: Getting lightning in 4th place in a 12 player race.

Question: How broken is Mario Kart 8's balance?

I may have done that wrong, but you guys should get the point. I got the lightning item in 4th place...

Nobody is around me but my star was stolen? Wtf

Does anyone else get hit by phantom shells? Like the first corner I go tumbling over twice but nothing has hit me.

Watch the video I posted on the last page. I fell out of the sky twice on RR during the glider part without getting hit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That was karma I guess, for leaving bananas on the shortcut.

Does anyone else get hit by phantom shells? Like the first corner I go tumbling over twice but nothing has hit me.

I ran over a phantom mushroom earlier. On Rainbow Road. So naturally I few off the track.

FrsDvl

Jeopardy:

For 500 points.

Answer: Getting lightning in 4th place in a 12 player race.

Question: How broken is Mario Kart 8's balance?

I may have done that wrong, but you guys should get the point. I got the lightning item in 4th place...

I got a blue shell in second place once... It doesn't happen often, but it's definitely possible.

Didn't even last two races today. Finished my first race in 7th or 8th and it dropped me to last and then my star gets stolen by somebody 5 seconds behind me in the next race.

Found this on mario kart wii board.

It's still too early for me to say for sure which game is more fun. Despite the amount of text, I still have fun playing MK8 for what it is. A lot of us have had years of playing and adapting to MKWii. Personally, I've been playing the game feverishly since 2008 and I still enjoy it for all the reasons that I initially fell hooked. But, I will tell you about the largest factor that leaves a large dent in my overall enjoyment with MK8:

The controls, projectile item speed, and tricks (in that order of importance).

At least in MKWii, you can dodge items. Vehicles had fast response times to changes in drift. They didn't fly all over the map with excess outward momentum. They didn't violently ricochet all over the map over a mistake. And, even without stand still mini-turbos, you were still able to recover from hits without sliding outwards and wiggling around. When you started a drift, you locked into that direction and you were not subjected to drifting the wrong way nearly as much as in MK8. You were able to trick and hold a drift. The controls were sharp and precise, allowing you enough time to dodge green shells, which charged at you somewhat slow compared to MK8.

In MK8, projectile items were sped up and vehicle controls were made to be more sluggish, so you cannot dodge anything shot at you. Ever. Nintendo has placed far too much energy on making items benefit the user. They have made all projectile items, including reds and blues, more powerful than the previous game. Projectiles are too fast. They've given those who possess those items god control over who lives and who dies. If you have a green, a fire flower, a boomerang, etc., there is almost no chance your victim will be able to escape it because the victim is racing on a wind-up toy car that doesn't move fast enough to avoid the projectile. The vehicle controls make players sitting ducks.

I would have been happy if they would have given the player a range of options when controlling their racer to at least give them a chance to evade a green shell or machine gun fireballs. I also would have settled for slower projectile speeds, but if I had to choose one, I would much rather have more control over the vehicle. I don't like driving a plate spaghetti.

In MK8, tricks are too fast, too stumpy, and lack a lot of personality. They're not as flashy and you cannot perform them while drifting. Why they thought setting the drift and trick functions to one button is beyond me, especially considering the fact that the gamepad has 4 shoulder buttons. Nintendo, separating and isolating functions to specific and independent buttons tends to offer a wider variety in control options and makes the difference between more skilled and less skilled. People like to compete in this area. Players like to feel like they're in control and not throwing spahgetti all over the place.

yep pretty much like that, it's complete bullshit especially when it happens early in a race.

Yea it is! But that RR was hilarious to me last night. The first time I fell I was just like wtf :/ and then it happened again and I just burst out laughing. I really hope they fix these issues though it's already pissed me off so much today that I quit after one and a half races lol

DaBoss

I just got 3 stars in a row in 3rd.

And a blue shell came after me and I took it like it was nothing. It was weird.

EDIT: I keep trying to cut that corner in the AG part of DK Jungle. Never goes well lol.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Nothing but coins in second place for an entire lap made up for by the sheer bullshit of a bulletbill that brings you to the finish line.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yea it is! But that RR was hilarious to me last night. The first time I fell I was just like wtf :/ and then it happened again and I just burst out laughing. I really hope they fix these issues though it's already pissed me off so much today that I quit after one and a half races lol

I had to quit because I was having such a ridiculous run of bad luck it wasn't fun anymore. Some misfortune and things going awry is just Mario Kart™, but it got excessive for too long.

I had to quit because I was having such a ridiculous run of bad luck it wasn't fun anymore. Some misfortune and things going awry is just Mario Kart™, but it got excessive for too long.

That happens to me sometimes too. Today some real life stuff had me frustrated and then I kept getting com errors. I got my internet working right again and then couldn't get into a room for 30 mins and then when I did it was lagging. The stolen star was just the last straw lol I'll probably be back on later though. It's not a good idea to play Mario Kart when you're in a bad mood!

DaBoss

I barely made it past that green shell.

You know something is up with this group when everyone doesn't vote for Bowser's Castle.

Top Bottom