• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

JC Lately

So, I’m confused about the ‘traction’ stat when building a racer. What does it affect, exactly? And do I want more of it or less of it?

The other stats are pretty straight forward, Speed is your top speed, acceleration is how quickly you can get back to that top speed (useful for when you hit by items) handing is how well your corner, and so forth. Just not clear on what traction does.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, I’m confused about the ‘traction’ stat when building a racer. What does it affect, exactly? And do I want more of it or less of it?

The other stats are pretty straight forward, Speed is your top speed, acceleration is how quickly you can get back to that top speed (useful for when you hit by items) handing is how well your corner, and so forth. Just not clear on what traction does.

Determines how much you slide when drifting basically. I think even with the stat it's kind of variable, because even with it high you are still going to slide on ice and stuff. Generally high traction means your drifts will be tighter. Probably helps on Rainbow Road, but isn't necessary (seeing as I have <2 traction and can do well on it).

Burning Justice

the superior princess

Traction affects how much you slide when you're on a slippery surface (wet road, ice, sand) or when you've been hit by a Blooper. There are certain courses where it's useful, but it's not 100% necessary.

JC Lately

Ah that explains a lot actually. Now that I can finally race as my Mii, its time to give Pink Gold Peach a rest and come up with new build. While I’m certain that I’ll eventually wind up with Rosalina on Jet bike with cyber slick tires like everyone else, I’d like to put it off for a while, you know? Rosalina will get her time to shine when I main her in Smash in a few months. ;)

DaBoss

So I'm not a physics major, but I do know one thing. Force = Mass x Acceleration

So how does someone on a bike knock me out when I'm on a kart?

Answer: Knockback seems to tie with the character rather than the weight of the character+kart combination.
I'm going to assume DaBoss got comm errored.
I did that on purpose. But now I got comm errored.

It's called ragelosing.

Timeaisis

I was wondering why nothing was happening that race. Everyone errored out.

I was in third the whole race, no contest. Nothing was happening ahead or behind me.

DaBoss

I don't get the red shell AI in this game. A red shell that should have hit me hit someone in front. We weren't in a flying section at all.

Finalow

why the hell you guys just left the lobby and went to another one? :_( Now it's full.

anyway this lobby system is seriously shit.

DaBoss

Straight up lol'ing about getting hit by a banana just when my hitstun finished and getting hit by a red shell someone threw while I was stopped for good measure.

When I got a star, I just stared at the gamepad the whole time waiting for someone to get lightning lol.

Finalow

how to win Rinbow Road N64, luck = 95% and skill 5%. no fucking way, it's so easy that it all depends on the items you get/you avoid.

it's really beautiful and dat music but for the rest is just a RNG track.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
how to win Rinbow Road N64, luck = 95% and skill 5%. no fucking way, it's so easy that it all depends on the items you get/you avoid.

it's really beatiful and dat music but for the rest is just a RNG track.

Yep, most luck-heavy track in the game. Almost every time the first item box determines your fate.

Missed turn with gold mushroom, drove into wall. Welp.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
The issue with the lobbies is that everyone wants to join the existing one--very few people even try to start a new one and wait for more people to join. But at peak hours (evening in NA), there's usually more than 12 people that want to play.

I personally think it's better to have two moderately-sized lobbies than one full one, though. But that's just me.

I'm...not sure how I won that DK Jungle race. Someone got slammed with a blue shell, and then there was nobody there for the rest of the race. Guess that makes up for getting dead last a couple of rounds previously.

Top Bottom