• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Koodo

Banned
But wait, I just played a couple of battle mode rounds and it was a surprise slay.

The qorls perched in hiding spots ready to pounce. I was screaming.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
My game thought Albo had been hit by a green shell right before the shortcut... then he materialized in front of me and fired all of his green shells at me.

Exentryk

Sorry about the reds, Justice. Guess the Gods are starting to listen. Although, I did get blue shelled so it evens out :p

EDIT - Wow. Got reded 3 times back to back before the glider section on Raceway.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, that Japanese girl is mean. She was chasing me down with triple reds trying to run into me. Then went out of her way to hit me with a star.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Did I win on the Airport, or did someone leave? Didn't even notice. Just started in first on the next race and was like whaat?

Thanks, bullet bill. Take me around people but then go the long way and leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Was in second and threw a red shell, hit the guy in first. Then a blue shell came flying in as I passed him and hit him again.

Felt bad, that's the same sort of thing that happens to me.

Final lap, I get hit by a red shell. Then a blue shell flies in and hits me.

:(

alexdd

Neo Member
Is anyone getting server errors? I'm trying to connect but it keeps giving me error 101- 0112. Everything was fine until Saturday, and yesterday I didn't play.

Sayter

Is anyone getting server errors? I'm trying to connect but it keeps giving me error 101- 0112. Everything was fine until Saturday, and yesterday I didn't play.

Servers down for maintenance. You may also not be able to access your friends list either.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
This game is really starting to piss me off. I log on and do some global, every game I just get dicked over and over and over. I just went from 1st to last on the last lap because I got hit by everything including the kitchen sink. And now I'm too pissed off to play.

/rant

Roo

This game is really starting to piss me off. I log on and do some global, every game I just get dicked over and over and over. I just went from 1st to last on the last lap because I got hit by everything including the kitchen sink. And now I'm too pissed off to play.

/rant

What do you expect from it really?
Even tho the item distribution is a mess at times, real players are also a cruel factor.

You're in first and get a coin
Second gets a red shell and hits you
Third and fourth get mushrooms and overtake you.
Fifth gets triple red shells (meant for third and fourth) BUT since you're fourth now.... hit again.
6th gets a golden mushroom and pushes you off the track.
7th gets a star and hits you again.
8th and 9th have a golden so nothing to see here
10th gets a bullet bill and you're flipping around again
11th uses a lightning and 12th just simply overtakes you too because he had a star too.

All of this in 5 seconds or less.
What I'm trying to say is, the game is not the only one to blame.
items are supposed to help you but if you're suddenly everyone's target well.. that's just bad luck and people being mean. Human nature, kicking a man down, wrong time... wrong place and all that.

There's no way the game could predict everyone would hit the same person so all the shit the item distribution gets at times it's a little undeserved.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

/rant

you should join the Gaf rooms. it's like Godzilla curbstomping your arse and then deciding for a good old bumming with his giant spiked lizard penis

Even tho the item distribution is a mess at times, real players are also a cruel factor.

Fifth gets triple red shells (meant for third and fourth) BUT since you're fourth now.... hit again.
11th uses a lightning and 12th just simply overtakes you too because he had a star too.

items are supposed to help you but if you're suddenly everyone's target well.. that's just bad luck and people being mean. Human nature, kicking a man down, wrong time... wrong place and all that.

There's no way the game could predict everyone would hit the same person so all the shit the item distribution gets at times it's a little undeserved.
Let's be real and just say that this happens because Nintendo designed the game to work that way. It's kind of a dead give away that they knew there was a potential to have that level of cruelty when the game's AI is one of the chief sources for people to learn this tacky behavior.

DaBoss

This is Mario Kart™. It happens and it is just unfortunate.
Second gets triple red shells and hits you
...this is Mario Kart 8™. And fuck it to hell cause it is bullshit.

Roo

Let's be real and just say that this happens because Nintendo designed the game to work that way. It's kind of a dead give away that they knew there was a potential to have that level of cruelty when the game's AI is one of the chief sources for people to learn this tacky behavior.

It can go either way.
My comment was more towards the shit we go through after the first hit. The human factor.

tfw you the only nigga to get hit in the first ten seconds(thanks to unavoidably drifting/slipstreaming into a held item) and everybody else fly smooth pass your 12th place lookin' ass

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, people definitely seem more likely to hit a player that's idle after being hit. We all get sick enjoyment out of screwing eachother over.

tfw you the only nigga to get hit in the first ten seconds(thanks to unavoidably drifting/slipstreaming into a held item) and everybody else fly smooth pass your 12th place lookin' ass

tfw this happens like 3 fuckin' races in a row.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

I know I have a bad temper and I shouldn't let it get to me, but my God does it.

ffdgh

I know I have a bad temper and I shouldn't let it get to me, but my God does it.

No no it's ok to get mad. This game can be extremely obnoxious at times with it's crap lol.

Wait. Is online down or tournaments? The former hazard Been working for me.

Finalow

to be honest online was up for me 2-3 hours ago, I did some WW.

item distribution is not "a mess at times", it's just awful and they should fix it.
the game is not the only one to blame but this game gets as much unfair as possibile, I understand the rage.

anyhow like we wrote yesterday frantic mode should be less unfair, more item dependant for sure but that's a blessing for the ones that are stuck in the pack during the whole race.

Lol I've had something like this happen so many times! I just laugh at it now cause that's Mario Kart

I prefer the item distribution in this compared to say Mk7, it feels more random and that's a good thing in my book. In 7 you could always roughly predict what you'd get based on your place, this game sometimes gives you a coin in last and a blue shell in second haha

I can see how many would hate that but I think it's more fun :)

The Goat

Items definitely need some re-balancing. I tend to get a single/triple green shell(s) or 1 mushroom in 4th - 7th place. Even when 1st and 2nd are quite a distance ahead. I understand that they are supposedly giving you something to catch the guy in front of you, and nothing more, but at times, it's extremely frustrating.

I've now, begrudgingly, switched to bikes, as they do seem to be the best option for competing on a higher level. I guess I have to follow the masses. Meh.

Grizzo

I was in a WW for a while with no problems. A few minutes ago, I backed out and tried to join the GAF tourney, and got an error. Now I can't connect online at all anymore.

I can't even go on Miiverse or check my Friend List

Looks like Nintendo doesn't joke around when they say "Server Maintenance"

It can go either way.
My comment was more towards the shit we go through after the first hit. The human factor.
It seems like they started out trying to address what was a real issue in MK7, as Incite mentions below, in that the RNG was very predicable and boring. Making it worse was the fact that stocking two items made several items, like triple reds for instance, practically useless.

Unfortunately they went completely over the deep end in my opinion, by fixing issues that didn't exist (there were very few tracks where you'd deliberately drop placement to get better items) when the single item limitation would have been enough to balance a lot of MK7's problems.

The collision detection right now is also completely insane. How far do I need to be from a banana peel now to not get sucked into its vacuum sphere? On the grass??? It's actually easier now to take out racers by dragging items than by throwing them too.
I prefer the item distribution in this compared to say Mk7, it feels more random and that's a good thing in my book. In 7 you could always roughly predict what you'd get based on your place, this game sometimes gives you a coin in last and a blue shell in second haha

I can see how many would hate that but I think it's more fun :)
The new problem that's been created though is that when you get item spammed late in the race, as I went through for a half dozen races in a row last night, it's almost impossible to recover since the item distribution punishes those who fall out of the top 6.

Race after race of getting knocked into last right at the end and only a single mushroom to soothe my pain is just too much to bear. I get that they're trying to stop people from dropping to get better stuff but surely there was a better way to prevent that than this new shitty system.

Top Bottom