• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Items definitely need some re-balancing. I tend to get a single/triple green shell(s) or 1 mushroom in 4th - 7th place. Even when 1st and 2nd are quite a distance ahead. I understand that they are supposedly giving you something to catch the guy in front of you, and nothing more, but at times, it's extremely frustrating.

I've now, begrudgingly, switched to bikes, as they do seem to be the best option for competing on a higher level. I guess I have to follow the masses. Meh.

Most of the top players I've seen have been using karts.

SM239

I really don't have much of a problem with the item distribution in MK8. Most of my complaints are with the item selection rather than distribution.

• The coin item overall - It provides no defense or offensive abilities and can screw over people in lower positions who would rather get a banana(or a fake item box *cough cough*) than coins. If coins could just be picked up from the track that would be fine.
  • No fake item box - Can be used offensively but cannot be used defensively. A good item to give 1st while still leaving them open to attacks. RIP
  • Triple reds in 2nd - This is way too OP. It can be a lot more devastating than a blue shell could ever be if the player in 2nd knows how to space the shells out. This is my only distribution complaint.

The one that happened when somebody left a lobby without picking a track? They fixed that a couple weeks ago. Most com errors I get now are from my shitty internet.

Is it really your internet though? I have a good FiOS connection and haven't had connection issues with any other games yet I usually get disconnected 3 or 4 times a night in MK8. Not to mention the item wheel glitches. Spinning, spinning, spinning... feels sometimes like I'm trapped in Fox News.

Is it really your internet though? I have a good FiOS connection and haven't had connection issues with any other games yet I usually get disconnected 3 or 4 times a night in MK8. Not to mention the item wheel glitches. Spinning, spinning, spinning... feels sometimes like I'm trapped in Fox News.

Yeah I wasn't talking about the item wheel glitches and stuff but most of the time when I get disconnected now is when my internet isn't working at all. It's really shitty! But I have noticed a few times where it was more than just me with the com error and my internet would be working. That happens a lot less now that they have stopped spectating full lobbies though.

Koodo

Banned
I really don't have much of a problem with the item distribution in MK8. Most of my complaints are with the item selection rather than distribution.

• The coin item overall - It provides no defense or offensive abilities and can screw over people in lower positions who would rather get a banana(or a fake item box *cough cough*) than coins. If coins could just be picked up from the track that would be fine.
  • No fake item box - Can be used offensively but cannot be used defensively. A good item to give 1st while still leaving them open to attacks. RIP
  • Triple reds in 2nd - This is way too OP. It can be a lot more devastating than a blue shell could ever be if the player in 2nd knows how to space the shells out. This is my only distribution complaint.
I rarely see triple shells in 2nd though. The person in 3rd is usually the one getting them, and they tend to reach the 1st when they wipe 2nd out of the way and still have two shells leftover.

I think coins are an amazingly cunty strategic item distribution for 1st. They soften the backward abuse the person in 1st would often send to 2nd in MK7, since there is the risk of getting a coin and not having any defence. The amount of coins that appear in 2nd is somewhat broken though since 3rd can get much more powerful items like triple shells; and coins appearing at all in the latter half of the group is insulting (but amusing).

Finalow

yes usually it's the 3rd to get triple red shells, the second should only get one red shell if I'm not mistaken.

but it's not just about triple red shells.

Azure J

tfw you the only nigga to get hit in the first ten seconds(thanks to unavoidably drifting/slipstreaming into a held item) and everybody else fly smooth pass your 12th place lookin' ass

tfw this happens like 3 fuckin' races in a row.

TFW you brush yourself off like "nah I still got this", crawl your ass back up into top three, and have it happen to you again at the end of the the third.

iZNKIG7O1vbQf.jpg

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Triple reds in 2nd - This is way too OP. It can be a lot more devastating than a blue shell could ever be if the player in 2nd knows how to space the shells out. This is my only distribution complaint.

I really wish they'd change triple items to double. It'd mean no more bullshit of the player in 1st eating two red shells in a row and significantly cut down on the chaos in the pack.

So I picked this up yesterday and had a dozen races with my girlfriend (after teaching her how to power slide).

As someone who was not impressed by the Mario Kart games I've spent proper time with in the past (MK64, Double Dash, Wii)... I think this is pretty great! Basically this is what I've always wanted out of the series, and I'm very happy with my purchase.

A few gripes...

with the front end:
- no profile view to track your play time, coin total, etc.
- no way to see which time trials you have beaten
- no HUD when playing without the Gamepad

with online:
- should be easier to play with friends than waiting for spaces in a room. ie. start room with friends and then wait for randoms to fill it

and then with the rebalancing:
- item distribution
- fire hopping
- limited character/vehicle combos compared to MK7

Total combos

Mario Kart Wii
= 324 different combinations

Mario Kart 7 (statistically different)
17 unique bodies
10 unique tyres
3 unique gliders
5 unique character classes
= 17*10*3*5 = 2,550 combinations

Mario Kart 7 (visually different)
17 different bodies
10 different tyres
7 different gliders
17 different characters
= 17*10*7*17 = 20,230 combinations

Mario Kart 8 (statistically different)
6 unique bodies
7 unique tyres
2 unique gliders
7 unique character classes
= 6*7*2*7 = 588 combinations

Mario Kart 8 (visually different)
30 different bodies
11 different gliders
18 different tyres
26 different characters
= 30*11*18*26 = 154,440 combinations

Personally I feel they set out with good intentions—to rebalance the game—but they've not done a good job. Getting coins only in first is just annoying.

I'm feel that the handling changes were to make the handling model feel "HD" rather than the somewhat "2D" handling of the previous games. Mixed results for me. The game is too easy vs CPU, and too frantic with human players given the items available.

and some small details:
- loading screen (shadows are attached to vehicles when they should be "on the ground", wheels do not rotate/spin around, white areas of vehicles are transparent meaning you can see the background through them)

Finalow

so retarded this item distribution.

last race we were 4. I was third and getting one mushroom all the time in yoshi valley, guy that was second 3 mushrooms. and in the last shortcut you have enormous advantage with that. oh not just one time, every single time we were in those 2-3 curves at the end of the lap.

k guys, it's balanced.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Bob-omb video? The one I uploaded the other day is perfect for that, tossing it on a jump, hitting three people while gliding and whizzing by for first.

I got this.

Gattuso

that contest sounds like fun. I still have that video of me throwing the bomb at the Mario kart sign and blowing myself up. I wish I could get a better angle of it.

First day of the MK8 Challenge Contest by NoA.

"“Bob-omb Bomber” MKTV challenge starts now! Upload your best Bob-omb tosses in #MK8 for a chance to win."
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/483737355002449920

Contest rules:
BraUq_YIYAEic2K.jpg

Here's my entry lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B5aqNNmTAg

Damn I had a pretty good one the other day on Twisted Mansion. Me and the guy in first took the left split he was at the end of it before the ramp where it curves I threw it and it landed right on top of him and I ended up winning. It looked way better than I can describe it though lol. I don't think I saved it :(

Lol that RR64 was crazy. I run into a red shell at the beginning climb my way back to 3rd after being in last and lightning strikes and I fall off the course and then get ran over and my item box stolen lol!

Top Bottom