• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Falcs

Banned
So I'm sure this has probably been discussed to hell already, but they ruined the N64 Rainbow Road!
I was hoping they'd bring it back, and was so happy to see that they did, but then when I played it, it was over after the first lap?? WTF??
The memory I have of playing it back in the day was that it was always such an epic long-ass race! Why the hell did they make it only 1 lap? It's stupid!

Roo

Did you have blue in 2nd Roo? Wut? Frantic?
Yeah, Prob already crossed the line when I got a blue shell so I decided to keep it. Then omnicent got a mushroom? And I was like.. Yeah, no. So I threw my blue shell at him.

And no, it's normal race.

WX3

This game has taken over my entire house hold as well as a few stragglers that come through the door occasionally. My wife and I have three children, ages 17,15, and 13. All five of us have played each night for the past week and a half. I had to buy two new controller options in order to get us up and running fairly. And then my eldest brought his girlfriend over while the rest of us were in the middle of a 100cc Flower Cup event to which she asked for next once the series was done. And so I let my son play along with his girlfriend and my other two kids while the wife and I watched the competition.

Today I came into the gameroom to find my oldest and his gf hanging out. He was playing some NBA2k14 on the XBone and his lady was playing MK8 on the gamepad! "Practicing," she tells me. And of course the other kids bring their friends over and then we are having a tourney with 12 racers by the time its all said and done.

This is the most bang for the buck I have ever gotten out of any game ever. I originally picked it up with the intention of playing solo and unlocking it all myself, then venturing online once I felt ready to compete. I also got it with the promo which allowed me to pick a free game and I picked PIKMIN 3 for my wife to play. (Back when the GC launched I bought PIKMIN for us to play and she loved it) That said, we have yet to play PIKMIN 3 on our Wii U, and I haven't raced a solo event yet...

Dr Prob

Banned
Most important thing I've learned tonight is that you can keep hitting the horn after a race ends. This means if you're using Wario (as everyone should) you can fart along with the tunes. This is a game changer.

Also, I wish the time trialing aspect of the game was better implemented. Why can't you just access a list of your friends' times in-game? What would that hurt? MKTV is something, I guess, but it's certainly not ideal. Anyway, perusing through there I came across the second most important thing I've learned tonight: Some of you have been busy beavers. Exentryk: I'm going to blast you off of Electrodrome so hard you may end up back on gamefaqs.

flc: Well, erm...nvm, I'm not gonna catch you :D

This game is so unplayable for me because it's missing the friggen onscreen mini-map and player rankings (with their items showing).

I play with Pro Controller and don't want to be distracted with a second screen for that vital info. :(

Anyone in here seen this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_43cq3DalZw

*Takes deep inhale*

Smells just like MK8...

*Flashbacks of the same sort of thing happening me in the Gaf Tourney

7fTQ2TR.gif

Dahlifyr

Banned
Hi everyone!

Just got my account approved here at NeoGaf and i will soon join in for some awsome Mario kart racing:)

Hope to cya all on the course, preferably behind me but im counting on getting crushed:D

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This game is so unplayable for me because it's missing the friggen onscreen mini-map and player rankings (with their items showing).

I play with Pro Controller and don't want to be distracted with a second screen for that vital info. :(

I use a pro controller and do reasonably well, and I wouldn't be surprised if a number of GAF's better players used it too. Map isn't terribly important, you can see everything in front of you and hit the button for a moment to look behind you. This lets you gauge your surroundings better than the map does, unless you care about what's going on three turns behind you.

Seeing what items people have is helpful, but not vital. Don't even think most MK games have that feature at all.

Anyone in here seen this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_43cq3DalZw

*Takes deep inhale*

Smells just like MK8...

*Flashbacks of the same sort of thing happening me in the Gaf Tourney

7fTQ2TR.gif
Someone posted it earlier in this thread.

I wish that I could have found someone with the red shell/red shell/blue shell/green shell/bullet bill video where I was stuck on the finish line in Wario Stadium until I went from first to last. That would have been the official Mario Kart™ video of our generation :'(

The bullet train video is pretty good too though :lol

Phil S.

Banned
Hi all. My account was just activated this morning.

I must say it's been fun just reading post-race reactions in this thread. When something wasn't clear to me, I just made something up in my head about what happened that race. haha

I really like Mario Kart 8 a lot. Sure, there's been times where I've gone "Nope. Done!" but that's usually with the AI in the Grand Prix modes. A bit of an unpopular opinion, but I like the battle mode of this game. It'd be nice to have exclusive arenas custom tailored for battle play, but I do like being able to battle on long, more expansive battlefields.

Mario Kart 64's soundtrack has finally been topped, I think. The music in 8 is just fantastic! Though I do still like the staff roll theme from 64 better than any other!

I'd be up for some community races when I have some time. It's nice to finally be able to interact with all of you!

Top Bottom