• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Is there any way to copy your Mii? I'm cleaning up with my Mii right now, but I hate having to make him fat to do it. Can I just copy my online Mii and have a fat version for racing?

ChrisD

one question:

what does the "traction" stat really mean?

Is it the off road capability of a vehicle? or is it related to drifting?

Have seen different opinions about this.

I think it may be how well it turns on ice and the like? I also noticed that some cars, when turning, seem to almost lose traction past a certain point. Like instead of edging left they just go straight up left.

Azure J

So I played some Mario Kart Wii today after a few months and.. Oh my God what a floaty mess. This game's physics are night and day compared to MK8's. It's not even funny. I used the Wild Wing and my turns were too wide and the mini boosts took forever.

MK8>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MKW

Mario Kart Wii almost turned me off to future Mario Kart games. At least in personal enthusiasm anyway. Mario Kart 8 is such a radical change in pace and refinement that I have pretty much spent every day since last Friday @3PM ish playing the game for long sessions. (Thank God for summer break, but it's going to suck when I finally get this job...)

clav

I mean, I've been playing Mario Kart since the first game launched on SNES. I'm OK at it, not great, but I get by. I have never had so many moments of going from first to 8th+ EVER.

It's... glorious!

It's horrible.

I'm going to keep playing this game for a month before I write it off completely.

So start off the race by racing ahead of everyone else!

Depends on which position you've been allocated at the start of the race! And even then you're more of a target.

I really want to like this game, I really do. I had such a great time with MK:DD on the Gamecube but I'm just not feeling this one due to the BS that comes with it. I can't help but compare it to Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed often and IMO it craps over MK8.

clav

Depends on which position you've been allocated at the start of the race! And even then you're more of a target.

I really want to like this game, I really do. I had such a great time with MK:DD on the Gamecube but I'm just not feeling this one due to the BS that comes with it. I can't help but compare it to Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed often and IMO it craps over MK8.

Same here man. I bought a Wii-U just for it, and I feel extremely underwhelmed.

Do the kart setups that are unlocked under 1000 coins just suck? Do I just keep playing more?

I also bought Mario Kart 7 recently, and I had a lot more fun with that game.
You're probably just horrible at it lol
Is it the kart setup? I'm dominating in Mario Kart 7.

It's horrible.

I'm going to keep playing this game for a month before I write it off completely.

giphy.gif

clav

http://media.giphy.com/media/zjQrmdlR9ZCM/giphy.gif[

Want to help me out instead of not understanding why people may not like the game?

What are your controller setups?

Yesterday I switched from the GamePad to the Classic Controller, and I liked the game somewhat better. My wrists cramped up with the awkward gamepad design.

jdw_b

Long time lurker here but the Mario Kart hype got to me and convinced me to sign up.

I'm going to join in the tournament later on tonight and no doubt get my ass kicked!

Feel free to add me, NNID is jdwbarton

Shell you all later

Good races, all. I swear I'll do better tomorrow (and maybe place decently!). It's well past 0200h here and the ol' motor skills need to rest.

Is there a secret to 150cc? I'm terrible at it.
Acceleration and handling. Sacrifice everything else since regardless of how fast you go the CPUs keep up or just blue shell you if you get too far ahead. The acceleration will help you recover faster from the inevitable item spam to come.

clav

Acceleration and handling. Sacrifice everything else since regardless of how fast you go the CPUs keep up or just blue shell you if you get too far ahead. The acceleration will help you recover faster from the inevitable item spam to come.

That's how I play Mario Kart 7 online and offline.

Somehow the strategy doesn't really work well for Mario Kart 8.

Want to help me out instead of not understanding why people may not like the game?

What are your controller setups?

Yesterday I switched from the GamePad to the Classic Controller, and I liked the game somewhat better. My wrists cramped up with the awkward gamepad design.

That was going to be my only suggestion. I used the gamepad for about 10 minutes before giving up and switching to my pro controller.

That's how I play Mario Kart 7 online and offline.

Somehow the strategy doesn't really work well for Mario Kart 8.
I was prioritizing speed at first and really struggling with 150cc until I got the acceleration advice and it worked wonders. Picking a heavy character is helpful too as they seem to have better speed stats with the same acceleration you can get with the lighter characters. That's usually at the cost of handling though.

BM8

Neo Member
Dont threads get made for this info? Looks like MK gave a nice bump to Wii U hardware, and this info is for when MK has been released for two days.

USA Weekly Charts, 31st May 2014
Hardware:
PS4 92,603
WiiU 78,247
XOne 30,836
3DS 19,105
X360 14,666
PS3 7,819
Wii 3,336
PSV 2,117
PSP 649

Software:
1 Watch Dogs (PS4) 976,856
2 Watch Dogs (XOne) 590,488
3 Mario Kart 8 (WiiU) 480,040
4 Watch Dogs (X360) 286,193
5 Watch Dogs (PS3) 179,421

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Same here man. I bought a Wii-U just for it, and I feel extremely underwhelmed.

Do the kart setups that are unlocked under 1000 coins just suck? Do I just keep playing more?

I also bought Mario Kart 7 recently, and I had a lot more fun with that game.

Is it the kart setup? I'm dominating in Mario Kart 7.

Parts unlock in a random order. Its just a matter of finding a setup you like and practicing with it.

clav

I was prioritizing speed at first and really struggling with 150cc until I got the acceleration advice and it worked wonders. Picking a heavy character is helpful too as they seem to have better speed stats with the same acceleration you can get with the lighter characters. That's usually at the cost of handling though.

Oh so characters make a difference in stats as well? I thought it was just a simple model swap.

lo. You can feel the humbleness pouring out of these posts.
It's a pretty easy difference to make. Like I'm consistently beating you, but I wouldn't say you were bad. The room I was in 10 minutes ago was really bad, everyone dropped out because I was winning too much lol

wishdom

Is there a secret to 150cc? I'm terrible at it.

I just got 3 stars in all cups 150cc/Mirror with baby luigi + jet bike + slim/crimson slims + cloud glider (acceleration glider).

The secret is to drift as much as you can while avoiding items, which is made easier with this setup (5.75 handling). I already lost because of one banana peel in the middle of the race...

Don't mess. Mario Kart is srs bizness (You sound like douche bag).
I was just upset that I couldn't find a good match online. The people who need to realize it's just a game are the same people who are freaking out because I'm beating them lol

Top Bottom