• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Azure J

Is it me or is 150cc a lot harder than in past MK games?

... At least you don't have to 3 star it to unlock characters..

It really is, no questions about it. The attack patterns (how and when they use items, certain heavies intentionally ramming you offroad, etc.) and the way they race (I'm still mindblown every time I see them go offroad when packing boosts or seeing them go out of their way to avoid long range projectiles) confirmed it for me personally.

balgajo

Sorry for quality guys.

Blue Shell fail
sl4my1.gif

EDIT: Is there a better way for making gifs on cloud?
Quality is so poor...
:(

Revven

It really is, no questions about it. The attack patterns (how and when they use items, certain heavies intentionally ramming you offroad, etc.) and the way they race (I'm still mindblown every time I see them go offroad when packing boosts or seeing them go out of their way to avoid long range projectiles) confirmed it for me personally.

They may have removed rubberbanding (or toned it down?) but holy shit they are smart and actually take shortcuts, it's nuts.

Also, gonna hop on in a few.

I need to stop stubbornly trying to squeeze through everything no matter the consequences:

kzuopf.gif
etxlbq.gif

Nothing strange about his remark. Sonic Racing: Transformed objectively executes some elements better than Mario Kart 8, it's not even up for debate. Weapons aren't as sufficating because a) you can defend yourself against 'em without one of your own if you have the chops and b) there's additional counter-play (see: its Blue Shell equivaliant). Time Trials are set up in such a way that they're more immediatedly replayable than how Mario Kart 8 handles it. Rubberband A.I. and blatant luck is less of an overall factor. The single player isn't just the same old "play all cups in 3 - 4 speed classes" formula that's been rehashed since the series' inception.
It actually has an options menu.
That's just off the top of my head, and other factors like "static race tracks vs evolving ones" of course fall under personal preferences.

Doesn't mean MK8 isn't any less of an incredible game though, just that some of its design choices are a tad bit outdated compared to the competition. Never mind that MK8 is superior in other ways too: it has noticeably better physics and overall polish, its in-game netcode is more solid (communication errors notwithstanding), performance is wildly superior on the same console, it's a more accessible "party multiplayer game" than Transformed and graphically it's even more detailed / cleaner than Transformed. Again, just off the top of my head.

They can co-exist just fine and the both of 'em can learn a thing or two from one another for future iterations.

Use GIFcam instead, by the way.

Duallusion

I don't get it. Every time I join gaf tournament I get to be the only one to vote for a course and wait, all alone on that globe. Why can't I spectate games in progress and join in if someone drops out?

Azure J

I need to stop stubbornly trying to squeeze through everything no matter the consequences:

My biggest issue is that I need a trip to Drifters Anonymous. I feel like I have to take the absolute tightest drifts/turns possible and at every opportunity I get. Rainbow Road 64's first big bend is the ultimate 50/50. Either I go all in with some Initial D looking slide right along the rim of the stage or I fall to New Toad City 3 times trying to readjust when I'm in too deep. :lol

They may have removed rubberbanding (or toned it down?) but holy shit they are smart and actually take shortcuts, it's nuts.

Also, gonna hop on in a few.

The rubber-banding is still there but they've made the AI deviously smart. They do things like hide banana peels behind coins and item boxes, they drop them where you need to land coming off ramps, they wait to use shells and lightning until you're over a pit and they can always find the best path through a track. I mentioned in the last thread that I noticed that they seem to have trouble on the tracks with moving obstacles (like Whomp Ruins) but other than that the frame sacrificed every 63 to devote to that AI is well spent.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I'm out. Totally off my game right now. Hopefully tomorrow I'll do better.

My biggest issue is that I need a trip to Drifters Anonymous. I feel like I have to take the absolute tightest drifts/turns possible and at every opportunity I get. Rainbow Road 64's first big bend is the ultimate 50/50. Either I go all in with some Initial D looking slide right along the rim of the stage or I fall to New Toad City 3 times trying to readjust when I'm in too deep. :lol

Same. I screw myself by getting slightly too tight more than I should.

Zing

Banned
It's a pretty easy difference to make. Like I'm consistently beating you, but I wouldn't say you were bad. The room I was in 10 minutes ago was really bad, everyone dropped out because I was winning too much lol

Who the fuck is this guy? Hilarious.

I don't get it. Every time I join gaf tournament I get to be the only one to vote for a course and wait, all alone on that globe. Why can't I spectate games in progress and join in if someone drops out?
nintendo-logo.jpg

Yup. I can't inside drift for the life of me anymore on that stage.

marink

Typical gaf race for me:

Race start:
*Boosts into 4th/5th place*

First Turn:
*Everyone bunches together, gets knocked around into 8th/last place*

Rest of race until last half of third lap
*if (not last_place)
{
use combination of items to get into third or first
}
else
{
try not to be in last
}*

Azure J

Yup. I can't inside drift for the life of me anymore on that stage.

I feel like I'm doing better with being consistent with those daredevil style drifts honestly, but I just couldn't help but poke fun at myself for going so above and beyond the call. I kinda blame MKTV though, there's something about seeing your run with the different camera angles, especially when it shows a long stretch of you drifting through the Danger Zone.

Azure J

Typical gaf race for me:

Race start:

First Turn:

*if (not last_place)
{
}
else
{
try not to be in last
}*

Needs another clause somewhere in the first if statement saying

else if (course == antigrav)
{ drift next to someone;
move inward behind them;
slipstream & bump boost forward
}

Next thing I know you're going to tell me that you play a game of chicken with banana peels too during said OCD drifting.

Is there a secret to 150cc? I'm terrible at it.
It might help if you do the time trials of the levels first. The ghosts usually take shortcuts you might not know about. Though it can only help so much after the chaos of items is brought in. Sometimes you just get bad luck.

BraXzy

Since my name in game currently comes up as my actual name, is there a way to give myself a nickname for online play to my GAF user? Or would I need to name myself it or something?

Since my name in game currently comes up as my actual name, is there a way to give myself a nickname for online play to my GAF user? Or would I need to name myself it or something?
It goes by the name of your Mii. Just go into the Mii editor and change the name of your Mii, and that's what will show up online.

Timeaisis

Typical gaf race for me:

Race start:

First Turn:

*if (not last_place)
{
}
else
{
try not to be in last
}*

You are missing the obvious: Get into first somehow but immediately get clobbered by a blue shell that was waiting for you to take the lead.

akaoni

Banned
Races are more like RNG+Netcode at the first batch of items, hold first for 2 laps, hope you don't get too far ahead to trigger the blue shell, then pray the wild 3rd lap RNG doesn't allow them to overtake you. If you have multiple freaks it's about how they can out bullshit each other in 2nd and 3rd while hoping for some RNG to hit first at a good spot or a goof. I still want to see how Frantic Items tournament setting would make things play out.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is it me or is 150cc a lot harder than in past MK games?

... At least you don't have to 3 star it to unlock characters..

I genuinely think it's the easiest it has ever been. I went through 150cc/mirror the last few days and on my first try got 3 stars on all of them but two cups.

Some stuff to keep in mind:

-Focus on acceleration, not speed. AI scales to it, and recovering from blue shells is more important.

-Unlike online players, the AI ALWAYS use their items. If you're in second and get a red shell, hold onto it until first blow their banana/green shell, but hold onto it if third gets a red shell to defend. This also includes the horn, the AI just blow it and don't even try to hit you. I've seen them use it, then get blue shelled afterwards.

-While they use items, it's on a delay. If the person in second isn't too hard behind, if you see someone else get a blue shell fall back so they get hit. But you can actually get very large leads over them, I've been hit by a blue shell/lightning combo and managed to not even come close to being passed.

-When you pass the finish line, everyone gets counted as finished. Even if one of the AI just got hit and technically finish much worse. Not really important for 3 stars since you always need first.

Top Bottom