• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

javac

You know that track? Dolphin Shoals? Yeah that track! You know what? You know what Nintendo should do? Yeah? Nintendo should...take that track...AND SHOVE IT UP THEIR ASS

150cc Mirror Cup is impossible on this track. Fuck this track. What does the Wii U have against me? Is it the way I look? Why the fuck does it want me dead? Why the fuck does it want me dead?

Weaving through all the traffic to avoid red shells is a blast.

And it screws over players who can't :D

As an experiment the next time I play it I'm going to just wedge the controller between the couch cushions with the analog stick stuck to the left and go take a break.

Still probably end up like 6th.
Anybody know how to unlock the yoshi bike?
The unlocks for the normal parts are random.

You know that track? Dolphin Shoals? Yeah that track! You know what? You know what Nintendo should do? Yeah? Nintendo should...take that track...AND SHOVE IT UP THEIR ASS

150cc Mirror Cup is impossible on this track. Fuck this track. What does the Wii U have against me? Is it the way I look? Why the fuck does it want me dead? Why the fuck does it want me dead?
Dolphin Shoals is in fact my least favorite tracks except for dat sax.

There's nothing that cool about it. The pipe jumps and eel are awkward, the turn at the end I admittedly suck at, and there is no cool set piece.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
No no no, this is a very good thing to do in Mario Kart. At first you'll be losing to people who take wider, safer lines because you'll keep on fucking up, but eventually you will develop consistency and save a ton of time by taking those tight drifts.

Tight corners are really only good when you aren't around many people. It is dangerous to go in close because other people drifting around the corner will knock you out of your line. Early in the race it is a good way to end up in the back of the pack.

javac

Dolphin Shoals is in fact my least favorite tracks except for dat sax.

There's nothing that cool about it. The pipe jumps and eel are awkward, the turn at the end I admittedly suck at, and there is no cool set piece.

The visuals the music on that track are fabulous. But it's way too hard. AI is way too fast on it, the water slows me down and the turns fuck you over.

akaoni

Banned
Because it is fun?
Not the best track but it certainly is not as worse as everybody picking the worst track DK jungle.

CzPWFZW.gif

akaoni

Banned

Are you getting the crazy AI problem on that track? Sometimes they freak out and become godlike in my experience.

Shit question answered I see. Yep, had it happen to me each time I played, Donut Plains was a similar case.

Palmer_v1

So assuming the track quality was on par with the current ones, how much would people be willing to pay for another 4 tracks? I assume they'd come in packs of 4 cause they could be added to the Grand Prix mode easier that way.

ChrisD

Waluigi and DK obviously beat out Rosalina.

You silly Rosalina people. She's not even special anymore, with her Baby form.

only partially sarcasm

So assuming the track quality was on par with the current ones, how much would people be willing to pay for another 4 tracks? I assume they'd come in packs of 4 cause they could be added to the Grand Prix mode easier that way.

A shameful amount, probably. Even more if it came in a pack with characters I wanted.

I don't think I'd really know how much of a mark I am for new tracks until looking at the eshop and seeing the prices.

10 dollars for 1 cup with no new characters would feel gross but I'd still be tempted....

akaoni

Banned
Anyone seen this video yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDRr43M10F4

It partially explains why communication errors happen. Pls don't leave the lobby before voting. ;~;

I disagree with the idea they're presenting from my experience, I've had all 12 vote and it gets a communication error. The problem occurs when there's a 'ghost player', someone who's in the room and not for others, it particularly seems to occur when you have people mass piling into 1 room (via friends and rivals) so far and taking up all the spectator slots outside the actual player count, whether it's 12+3 spectators or something. There's an inconsistency between clients of who's in the room and the vote fails. I did this by watching a stream and seeing there was a player missing who was there on my end, and I have in fact been that player who didn't exist on the streamer's view of the lobby, while I was actually in and voted on my view of things.

mktrOOp

Banned
I am glad that you are enjoying it :) i guess a lot of people do since a lot of people pick this level. But it aint for me sorry.

Yeah, the thing is that I played MK7 obsessively online (101 hours online) and I love this track so much ^_^

But of course I understand your issues, try to take both shortcuts and show your best skills. ;)

Timeaisis

Anyone seen this video yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDRr43M10F4

It partially explains why communication errors happen. Pls don't leave the lobby before voting. ;~;

Yeah, no. This isn't how netcode works. The communication error occurs when the server and your game (or most people's games) have a discrepancy in the player counts; i.e. the server thinks the game has 12 players, but it really has 11. So your game is communicating with the server "who am I playing with", the server gives you 12 people when your game only sees 11. Thus, communication error. It has nothing to do with voting, but it does have something to do with people entering/leaving rooms in mass certainly.

m0t0k1

Yeah, the thing is that I played MK7 obsessively online (101 hours online) and I love this track so much ^_^

But of course I understand your issues, try to take both shortcuts and show your best skills. ;)

What do you mean by second? The first one is the ramp in the crowded jungle part i presume? do you mean the shorter corner with the jump before start/finnish as second? I always take those.

mktrOOp

Banned
What do you mean by second? The first one is the ramp in the crowded jungle part i presume? do you mean the shorter corner with the jump before start/finnish as second? I always take those.

Yes, I mean the shorter corner. :p
I don't know why, but DK Jungle is one of those tracks, where skill matters more than luck.

Yeah, no. This isn't how netcode works. The communication error occurs when the server and your game (or most people's games) have a discrepancy in the player counts; i.e. the server thinks the game has 12 players, but it really has 11. So your game is communicating with the server "who am I playing with", the server gives you 12 people when your game only sees 11. Thus, communication error. It has nothing to do with voting, but it does have something to do with people entering/leaving rooms in mass certainly.
This is what I noticed as well. The comm errors were mostly happening when people were leaving the game and new people were joining at the same time.

I think that sometimes people voting before they leave helps a bit but even when I was doing this I'd check online and see people saying the room crashed just after I left.

What I can't figure out is why this didn't seem to be much of a problem the first weekend the game was out :/

Top Bottom