• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

HoJu

I honestly don't see how the tutorials are that annoying, lol.

You can skip most of them anyway.

Loving the game myself, the art style is quite appealing and the humor is spot-on as ever. This is the game I wanted Sticker Star to be.

the problem is that the game constantly stops the gameplay to ask if you need a tutorial. it ruins the pacing and the experience. it's terrible.

beautiful game though, the animation is especially fantastic.

DaBoss

the problem is that the game constantly stops the gameplay to ask if you need a tutorial. it ruins the pacing and the experience. it's terrible.

beautiful game though, the animation is especially fantastic.

So it's like BiS where it stops you, but you can just say no? I found it a non-issue in BiS.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm stuck in Wakeport...

I am searching for that tour guide in his dream, and I beat 2/4 mini bosses. The third mini-boss area has me using the Luigi stack to hit the button, and I know I have to hit the bomb into the wall, but every time I come back up to hit it, it doesn't even come close. How do I do this?

Time yourself to spring back up after it releases a bomb. Depending on the timing the bomb will go flying at an angle.

--------------------------

Finally fought a hard boss. Loving the game a lot. Although I feel the animation isn't as fluent as BiS. Probably because BiS was mostly spritework whereas this game uses 3D models.

Berordn

But it's dialogue. In an RPG. Does talking to NPCs also break up the gameplay?

So it's like BiS where it stops you, but you can just say no? I found it a non-issue in BiS.

Pretty much. Some things like Luiginary Powers and minigames force you into a quick instruction session, but even though peter out after a while.

Shahadan

Tutorials are "optional" at the beginning of the game. those that last until the final hours are not. There is one level where they are though, for whatever reason.

Shahadan

So what kinds of tutorials are people finding in the late-game? Is it still for new abilities, or something else?

The game introduces a new mechanic very often, so it's mostly for that. They're not offensive taken one by one, but if you're playing for like 2-3 hours straight you'll see a lot of them, and being taught how to move the circle pad each time is kinda annoying, on top of the frequency.

edit : that said, on top of that, there are also the parts where the game shows you what to do or even tells you the solution to a puzzle.

romulus91

Well if it took that long to bother you they must not be a big deal.

Im being facetious but it just seems like they were confused as to who would buy this game.... i mean if someone is skilled enough to level, buy equipment, assign moves etc etc to beat the end bosses.... WHY IN THE HELL is a tutorial needed to reiterate the basic mechanics late game?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
eagerly awaiting what NA Gaf is going to think about a certain character with certain tendencies later in the game

romulus91

This keeps getting said and I haven't seen it. Where does it happen? Spoiler it if necessary, I guess.

IS there? Everything so far has been new stuff.

Case in Point :
In the last major giant battle, the last dream sequence and a fair chunk of the last area - noted that sometimes it is not as much a tutorial of mechanics as explaining every single step of what to do in order...... i.e. 'luigi, that floor looks weak ! maybe use the jump move and see what happens'

still love it but the hand holding gets tiresome

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm actually enjoying this more than BiS so far.

For one, the battles don't seem to drag on as long, and there's, so far, no annoying mini-game like the ones you had to do in Bowser's stomach. I also feel that the controls are more responsive and fluid and it's quicker to move around and jump. Two, I find the short and sweet Dream World segments to be far more pleasing and simple than the oftentimes annoying and trudging Bowser's Body segments.

Only problem I have is, yes, the general way the game keeps pausing to explain/talk is a bit annoying, and none of the characters so far stick out to me. Well, actually, I still love Broque Monsieur's over-the-top French, I really love the character, kind of want him in Mario Kart or something.

The music is phenomenal though.

speaking of Mario characters I love, Bowser Jr. is in here I read?

Berordn

Case in Point :
In the last major giant battle, the last dream sequence and a fair chunk of the last area - noted that sometimes it is not as much a tutorial of mechanics as explaining every single step of what to do in order...... i.e. 'luigi, that floor looks weak ! maybe use the jump move and see what happens'

still love it but the hand holding gets tiresome

I haven't hit that point so I guess I refrain from commenting until I do.

speaking of Mario characters I love, Bowser Jr. is in here I read?

He's there, but he doesn't have a story role.

Watch Da Birdie

The rest of the game is fantastic. The graphics are lovely, the music is great, the gameplay is great, but my God, those tutorials.

They even nag you in some of them. Like they'll say: "You probably already know this, but..."

Nintendo is trolling us at this point.

I thought about this, but what if those lines are Treehouse (they translate it, right?) poking fun at the original designers throwing in all the tutorials? Like even they realize the absurdity of it.

RM8

I'm playing the demo and it's delicious. Crap, I didn't want to buy it so soon :(

This is the most charming Mario game since... Sticker Star :p

npa189

Is it a never ending dialog festival like the previous bros games? I really want to like them, but I can't get past all the boring-ass talking.

Aeana

Just got access to the Dozing Sands, and I have a question.
Is it currently impossible for me to return to the castle? The bridge is still out. This feels silly because they asked me to come visit them at the castle, and obviously they all went to the castle, so how the heck did they get there?

Berordn

Is it a never ending dialog festival like the previous bros games? I really want to like them, but I can't get past all the boring-ass talking.

There's still loads of dialogue.

That honor belongs to either Shin Megami Tensei IV (the Game menu theme is awesome!), or Fire Emblem Awakening (superb compositions, through and through).

Neither of those is Shimomura. M&L is objectively better.

Objectively.

Is it currently impossible for me to return to the castle? The bridge is still out. This feels silly because they asked me to come visit them at the castle, and obviously they all went to the castle, so how the heck did they get there?

It gets repaired with no fanfare, but I'm not sure when exactly. For sure after you finish the events in the desert.

ffdgh

After you're finish with the desert the bridge is finally fixed.
when you go back to the castle, go to the room where peach and toadsworth were sent to the deep part of the castle and enter the bottom right room for the X bosses.

Shahadan

Is it funny and I mean "laugh out loud" funny?

Which is why I always loved the series, the humor.

How funny is it compared to past series?

Honestly, less. Bowser is still hilarious but he's not there that often. I laughed a few times, though. Some NPCs are funny, some are just annoying as fuck, like the Massif bros.

Watch Da Birdie

Kind of so-so.

I haven't found any of the ML games to be that funny, even the first one wasn't as funny as Paper Mario.

They rely on, in this one at least, way too much "hipster" speak for the Toads and such for humor. Like the Toads say stuff like "dude, he's SO out!" and other try-hard irreverent dialogue.

I've laughed a few times, Broque Monsieur's over-the-top French accent is great, and some of the animations are cute.

Teknoman

Bowser's always good for a grin.

By the way, do you guys constantly use Bros. attacks on boss battles, or just balance it out with normal attacks?

In RPGs like this where you have access to some really physical attacks early on (Lunar and Grandia series as well), I always have trouble deciding whether or not to just spam special attacks till I run out of MP, specifically on bosses.

Bogeypop

Bowser's always good for a grin.

By the way, do you guys constantly use Bros. attacks on boss battles, or just balance it out with normal attacks?

In RPGs like this where you have access to some really physical attacks early on (Lunar and Grandia series as well), I always have trouble deciding whether or not to just spam special attacks till I run out of MP, specifically on bosses.

I usually like overleveling then toying with bosses with my weaker attacks, but in DT since I'm going with a Stache and POW oriented build I can't afford to give bosses extra turns to hit me, so I spam those nukes till they die. Unfortunately some of the later Bros. Attacks are pretty stringent about their qualifications for an "Excellent" attack.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This game is tempting... I liked BIS, though I got tired of it towards the end. It seems reviews are divided (and that the beginning of the game is outright boring). I know that the gameplay is going to be fun, and that the music won't disappoint (after all, it's Yoko Shimomura), should I give it a try?

I don't think the beginning is boring, there are some tutorials, but even though I play the game for the second time now (the first time I just rushed through the digital copy for review, now I'm playing for completion on a proper retail copy) I still had fun, because the fighting is superb and the tutorials are rather short and often times even skipable (you get asked if you need explanation).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

there's humour but it's way less than the previous games. It basically all comes from Mario and Luigi animations and visual gags, some of them really made me laugh out loud. There are some humorous characters but nothing like Fawful or Bowser in the previous games

Ultrabum

there's humour but it's way less than the previous games. It basically all comes from Mario and Luigi animations and visual gags, some of them really made me laugh out loud. There are some humorous characters but nothing like Fawful or Bowser in the previous games

Pretty accurate. Lots of "oh no the ground fell out from under us" *mario and luigi look at eachother, then fall.

The animations are great, I laugh audibly if I'm in a good mood when playing.

BiggNife

I dunno, it's not as funny as SS or BiS, but it's definitely funnier than PiT. I've definitely found myself cracking up a few times. Boss Brickle is great.

Aeana

I've beaten a couple of bosses now, and most of them have taken quite a long time. It has me seriously wondering if they mucked with the boss HP again like they did before (I think it was in Partners in Time).

There's some seriously hilarious lines in there, sometimes not directly in front of you. For example, when you go to Brickle's house and
he gets thrown off the platform near his workers, they're like "You OK?" and "Boss Brickle!" and then one of them is like "Can I have next weekend off?"

That got a huge laugh out of me. I think there's quite a bit of stuff like that if you're paying attention. NPC dialog is also pretty hilarious at times.

bart64

Banned
I don't think the beginning is boring, there are some tutorials, but even though I play the game for the second time now (the first time I just rushed through the digital copy for review, now I'm playing for completion on a proper retail copy) I still had fun, because the fighting is superb and the tutorials are rather short and often times even skipable (you get asked if you need explanation).

I'm with you. I've played for four hours and the game is far from boring. It's charming and inviting and so beautifully polished that I'm enjoying being eased in, and the few tutorials that I didn't skip were very brief. I particularly impressed with the amount of character that the sprites bring, and the 16-way animation combined with the 3D backgrounds just feels so right, they nailed it.

Don't let the RPG snobs keep you away from this brilliant experience!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've beaten a couple of bosses now, and most of them have taken quite a long time. It has me seriously wondering if they mucked with the boss HP again like they did before (I think it was in Partners in Time).
Ugh, that was one reason why I didn't like PiT, just felt like the battles dragged on, ESPECIALLY the last boss (I think it took me 30-45 minutes). The first dream world boss battle felt a bit long, but that was probably because A.) I only have Mario to attack with, so it's 1 turn for attacking compared to two outside of the dream world/past games, & B.) some of them have attacks that last a bit longer. It feels a bit more justified here than in PiT at the moment because the mechanics are different.

I definately hate being stopped so often in this game, but I also understand how confusing this game would be to new players if the tutorials weren't there. Other than that though, I'm actually enjoying this game quite a lot. What got me the most was how outstanding the music is in this game. Very Super Mario RPG-ish, but with a much grander sound. I know it's the same composer as that game and the other M&L games, but the music in this one seems to callback to the original SNES game more than the others did.

I'm loving this game so much. The expert challenges are a BRILLIANT addition to the series and I love how it rewards players for their skill. I hope they bring those back for future M&L games.

The spritework is amazing, so many frames and different little animations that give it a ton of charm.
And I can't stress enough how godlike the music is. This is easily one of Shinomura's best.

aett

I broke down and bought this today. The demo was a lot of fun and I love the graphics and especially love the music, and I figure I can put up with tutorials and stuff so long as I can still enjoy the main game and find lots of hidden stuff later in the game.

Top Bottom