• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

Ugh this thread. Very mixed opinions. I loved the demo but I'm afraid of the tutorials and repetition.

I don't know what to do.

Demo was great, game is far too wordy.

As for being able to skip the tutorials, you can't skip them all. For example, you can skip the battle tutorial but you have to sit through the "Use the circle pad to move, the A button to jump and here's how you save" tutorials. Basically, the useless tutorials aren't skip-able.

DaBoss

I think the Dream World are an improvement over the inside of Bowser. They have a good length. The longer ones typically introduce something new. Bowser's body took way too long at times and felt like a drag. Finally getting out was the best thing to happen.

starmud

im loving the game, if your a fan of the series, i don't see how you can't enjoy the game.

at times the gameplay is shallow and you wish it was deeper, but honestly... in the grand scheme the game is sill worth the cost of admission. its a great game.

i'm about 40% in and would rank it 3rd or near 2nd in the series for me. the 3D is amazing, its near perfect in the dream world. the dream world is a huge improvement over the other games secondary dungeon. honestly, between how fun the dream world segments are + the great 3D, i have moments where the game feels funner than most of the previous entries.

oddly enough, picking this up is giving me the itch to get sticker star, namely because the 3D is selling me on wanting to see paper mario in the same fashion.

oddly enough, picking this up is giving me the itch to get sticker star, namely because the 3D is selling me on wanting to see paper mario in the same fashion.

Sticker Star looks great. Like Luigi's Mansion, it's got that shoebox diorama look going with a lot of depth. The only RPGish thing about it though is the turn based sticker battle system. Other than that I'd say it's more of a puzzle heavy adventure game than an RPG.

El Odio

Banned
Even though it's an overdone joke I still cracked up at the scene with Britta after the Torkscrew fight. Glad to see the humor in this game is turning out to be equal with the rest of the series.

CrisKre

Is a bit slow to start, but 4 hours in the dialogue really starts to shine and the game truly starts getting into a great space. I'm loving it. The sprite work is just incredible as well. So much life.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Much has been said about the spritework, but the 3D backgrounds in this are also damn finely crafted. Mt. Pajamaja may be the most visually interesting environment I've ever seen in a 3D Nintendo game east of Metroid Prime.

I really wish Zelda: Link Between Two Worlds was put on a backburner so the team that did the 3D environment work on this could have been put onto that project after they were done here.

I don't know what they did differently in this game, but I rarely ever counter an attack correctly. Every other game in the series, I had no problem.

Maybe I'm just losing it :(

Berordn

I don't know what they did differently in this game, but I rarely ever counter an attack correctly. Every other game in the series, I had no problem.

Maybe I'm just losing it :(

The patterns are a lot harder here after the first area. Especially in the dream world, they do some crazy shit.

beta_fuse

Really liking this game so far. If you enjoyed the other games in the series, there's no reason to not play this. My only knock is yeah the tutorials get a bit annoying but beyond that everything is just fun and what you'd come to expect from a M&L game.

Sidenote: So far the music in this game is great, but that battle theme is a little weak in my opinion. This got me to go back and listen to the earlier entries' battle music and god damn that Superstar saga's battle theme is amazing. Easily the best in the series.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I've played about 5 hours of it so far.

I have to say all the whining about the tutorials is way too exaggerated. Considering you're given an option to skip tutorials, I haven't had any issues. For a person like me who doesn't have a deadline and just wants to play, it's really a non-issue. From a critics standpoint, I guess it's different since they have a deadline to meet to review a game, so stuff like that gets in the way, I suppose.

This game reminds me a lot of why I really loved Bowser's Inside Story. I never played Partner's in Time or Superstar Saga so I can't really comment much on how different/similar those two were, but if you liked BiS you'll like this one, at least, from what I've played so far.

I have to say all the whining about the tutorials is way too exaggerated. Considering you're given an option to skip tutorials, I haven't had any issues. For a person like me who doesn't have a deadline and just wants to play, it's really a non-issue. From a critics standpoint, I guess it's different since they have a deadline to meet to review a game, so stuff like that gets in the way, I suppose.

This game reminds me a lot of why I really loved Bowser's Inside Story. I never played Partner's in Time or Superstar Saga so I can't really comment much on how different/similar those two were, but if you liked BiS you'll like this one, at least, from what I've played so far.

It's not just the tutorials (though they could give us a global option to turn them off), it's all the pointless talking and that many tutorials aren't optional at all. I don't remember getting an option to turn off the Luigi's Stache/Slingshot tutorial, for example. Here's another example,
I just broke those purple crystal things to release a Pillo
and now they are going to "recap it" for me for a few minutes. This game is full of pointless dialogue. Maybe next they will teach me about the number 2 and drill that into my head too, just like Sesame Street.

Timeaisis

Yeah, same here. I'm around 10 hours in and am thinking "OK, when does this get bad?". Haven't experience it yet.

From a critics standpoint, you might be right. But if that's true, that means they are trying to rush through the game, and they are bad critics.

Yeah, same here. I'm around 10 hours in and am thinking "OK, when does this get bad?". Haven't experience it yet.

From a critics standpoint, you might be right. But if that's true, that means they are trying to rush through the game, and they are bad critics.

The game is artificially lengthened by excessive dialogue (both story based and tutorials) and not all tutorials are optional. This game needed an editor.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It's not just the tutorials (though they could give us a global option to turn them off), it's all the pointless talking and that many tutorials aren't optional at all. I don't remember getting an option to turn off the Luigi's Stache/Slingshot tutorial, for example. Here's another example,
I just broke those purple crystal things to release a Pillo
and now they are going to "recap it" for me for a few minutes. This game is full of pointless dialogue. Maybe next they will teach me about the number 2 and drill that into my head too, just like Sesame Street.

I guess, but I mean that stuff doesn't last that long. Just keep pressing A to skip, it's only a few seconds. I just don't really consider any of that an issue - not just in this particular game. Skyward Sword is probably the worst I've played in terms of that, but even that I could tolerate.

Yeah. I'm about 7 hours in now. It still hasn't bothered me and I've still been able to skip most of it. I'm really liking the game so far - It's really hard to put down.

TreIII

7 hours in. While I am enjoying myself playing this game? For me, the whole Dream World and Dreamy Luigi angle just doesn't feel as "fresh" as Bowser's integration into the M&L system did back in BIS, or even (God help me) the Babies in PIT. As a result, I'm finding myself missing Bowser more than I thought I would. I mean, what's the point of having my time split between playing M&L or just Mario, when I could have had Bowser (or another character) instead?

Assuming Alphadream is slated to make another one of these games in the near future, I don't think I'd mind at all if they stuck with their first thought and used Bowser again. Or hell, maybe the time is ripe for a real shake up and just give Bowser a true solo role for once.

Aeana

People weren't kidding when they said the game just goes on forever. I think I've run out of steam with it. Every time I go to a new place, it's some big drawn-out affair and I don't think I have it in me anymore. I'm trying to figure out why this game is draining me so much when I loved Bowser's Inside Story so much. I just don't know.

shtkn

i got the game and thankfully the demo's sound quality is just bizzarely poor. the actual game is okay.

as for the game itself, i'm about 5 hours in, and i'm enjoying it, though i feel that there's a lot of padding between the interesting bits or maybe that's just due to the fact that they're the "beginner areas".

i hope next game we get Wario and Waluigi for a change of pace

Gartooth

People weren't kidding when they said the game just goes on forever. I think I've run out of steam with it. Every time I go to a new place, it's some big drawn-out affair and I don't think I have it in me anymore. I'm trying to figure out why this game is draining me so much when I loved Bowser's Inside Story so much. I just don't know.

About where are you in the game? I'm feeling a little bit the same after going through the neverending Mount Pajamaja.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finished the dream sequence not long after learning the first Luiginary Move (that katamari/ball one). Man, I REALLY wish the gyro controls were optional, considering you can do counter attacks using the analog nub. They're not too bad once you get the hang of it & figure out how much to tilt the 3DS, but the option still would've been nice.

DaBoss

Finished the dream sequence not long after learning the first Luiginary Move (that katamari/ball one). Man, I REALLY wish the gyro controls were optional, considering you can do counter attacks using the analog nub. They're not too bad once you get the hang of it & figure out how much to tilt the 3DS, but the option still would've been nice.

Yea, it really should be an option. Is there any move that uses gyro and the slide pad?

I like to think i have an idea as to figure out where this game goes wrong regarding pacing and where BIS didn't.
This game is twice as long as BIS for one thing, yet if you take a look at the map you'll notice that the game doesn't have double the amount of areas to compensate for it. This leads to sections getting dragged on and on. At first it's not that noticeable but when you hit Mount Pajamaja it's hard to miss, i'm too familiar with the titling rock enemy for my liking which is to say there's not enough enemy variety in each area either.
The plot is also stung by the games length, it doesn't have enough elements to it that warrant such a lengthy outing.

Now i've noticed this thread has been rather occupied with the idea that it's mainly tutorials that are the games big issue but I always held the opinion that pacing was the games true downfall. The tutorials that factor into this aren't the ones at the start of the game but those that come much further in, the only ones that can be skipped are the few battle focused tutorials that come early on, new field abilities however don't get the same luxury and with the many elements introduced as the game progresses (literally all the way to the final area) it really began to chip away at my tolerance level for them on top of the drawn out areas, frequent side character interruptions and so on.
Enemies start getting longer and more elaborate attack phases, more so in the later dream world areas where the pack enemies aren't so easily dispatched, dare I say that nearly every central element of the game falls victim to fatigue in some way.

I like to think i have an idea as to figure out where this game goes wrong regarding pacing and where BIS didn't.
This game is twice as long as BIS for one thing, yet if you take a look at the map you'll notice that the game doesn't have double the amount of areas to compensate for it. This leads to sections getting dragged on and on. At first it's not that noticeable but when you hit Mount Pajamaja it's hard to miss, i'm too familiar with the titling rock enemy for my liking which is to say there's not enough enemy variety in each area either.
The plot is also stung by the games length, it doesn't have enough elements to it that warrant such a lengthy outing.

Now i've noticed this thread has been rather occupied with the idea that it's mainly tutorials that are the games big issue but I always held the opinion that pacing was the games true downfall. The tutorials that factor into this aren't the ones at the start of the game but those that come much further in, the only ones that can be skipped are the few battle focused tutorials that come early on, new field abilities however don't get the same luxury and with the many elements introduced as the game progresses (literally all the way to the final area) it really began to chip away at my tolerance level for them on top of the drawn out areas, frequent side character interruptions and so on.
Enemies start getting longer and more elaborate attack phases, more so in the later dream world areas where the pack enemies aren't so easily dispatched, dare I say that nearly every central element of the game falls victim to fatigue in some way.

So it only gets worse as I go along. Well, I am glad I bought a physical copy.

I'm about 12 hours in and am quite enjoying it so far (the soundtrack, oh my god the soundtrack), but yeah, I can already feel fatigue starting to creep in. I'm a little nervous after reading all these posts talking about how never-ending Mount Pajamaja is, as I'm just about to head there (I'm in Wakeport now
looking for the missing tour guide
), and I already kind of felt like the Dozing Sands dragged on a little too long.

I hope it's not that bad, because I am enjoying the game and the adventure in general and I don't want to give up on it, especially since I love the series so much and have finished all the other games in the series. I actually think I prefer this to Bowser's Inside Story in terms of the world and its design, but yeah, there are some definite pacing issues here.

I'm glad the humor has picked up. At first, while I felt the writing was perfectly fine, I wasn't laughing as much as I'm accustomed to with this series. But it's really gotten a lot funnier since the latter half of the Dozing Sands, and the humor has been maintained going into Wakeport. I hope it doesn't let up!

In other news, and I know I already mentioned this, but THE SOUNDTRACK IS AMAZING. My god. It's got to be one of Shimomura's best, and that's an incredibly high pedigree already. She was already my favorite musician out there before this game; this is just more validation. Her boss theme for this game makes every boss fight feel incredibly epic, and in a friggin' Mario game to boot.

She's just incredible.

Tuck

The first main area - Mushroom Park, I think it is called - is stunning. Absolute joy working through those areas. Tbh I vastly prefer the non-dream sequences, though the dream sequences are still ok.

For the first Luiginary attack you learn - the ball rolling one - can it be controlled with the analog stick? It bothers me that they turn the 3D off automatically.

Also, far too much text. They don't shut up. And they repeat things.

I am enjoying the game - a lot. But the quantity of text and tutorials is really fucking annoying. Especially when that stupid starball says something really obvious. Not Fi levels of bad, but bad.

I'm finding I really prefer the real world to the dream world gameplay, gorgeous and amazing-sounding as the dream worlds are. They get quite samey quite fast.

Also, I've had no trouble getting Excellents on any of the Bros./Luiginary Attacks so far except Luiginary Stack. That one is INFURIATING...

I'm also glad to have Starlow back. I always thought she was a fun, funny sidekick in Bowser's Inside Story, and she's just as charming here.

Just wishing the game wasn't QUITE so bloated and hand-holdy... especially considering it's pretty easy to begin with. I haven't come even close to dying once so far, which is not something I can say about the previous games.

Those of you who have finished it: does it ever pose any challenge?

Busaiku

Luiginary Stack and Dropchopper are definitely the worst ones so far (I just got Luignary Flame).
Bomb Derby took me a bit to get the hang of, but I can probably do it better now.

Gartooth

This game is easily the longest in the series. The other three all averaged in at about 20 hours, but Dream Team is apparently double that as I'm 17 hours in and it only feels like I'm a little over half way.

I'm terms of what's wrong, the game is not only overly wordy (don't confuse this with not liking story, I love the story and don't want this series to end up like Paper Mario) but even though the Dream World has fun puzzles and a fun battle system, it overstays its welcome and drags on. Real world 3D environments are much more enjoyable than constant 2D areas.

In this sense even though the map can be broken down into a small number of areas, you might as well double that number because of the several dream worlds in each area. Heck I think I spend more time doing things in the dream world than the real one in this game.

Amikami

Banned
About 7 hours in. I understand some of the major complaints though I can kinda overlook the tutorials. The game has a problem when it comes to explanations. I don't mind them but simple things are often over explained or things that don't need explanation has it. To much talking some time.

These are really my only complaints so far, and I still think it's a great game. Wonderful visuals, great animations and a great soundtrack so far, but I'm still so early in the game.... Also...

Holy cow is Luigi cute while he's sleeping.

Madouu

Hmm Aeana's post and previous impressions on the game's pacing have convinced me to take this game really slow and not rush through it I think. Play it more like I would a SM3DL which took me quite a large number of short play sessions to finish.

Maybe not as short but I'm definitely not going to try and finish this in a few days. Not even in a few weeks I think.

Formless

So good. I really don't get the complaints, although I did notice with my 3DS XL the sound crackled sometimes. Plugged some headphones in and gatdam that sound.

Marjar

Banned
Personally, I like this a hell of a lot better than BIS. For some reason, I just found that game boring. I think it was because Bowser took up too much of the game and his gameplay was just really slow and boring to me in comparison to the bros.

The tutorials don't really bother me that much. I thought a few were actually pretty helpful.

I still like Superstar Saga and Partners in Time more so far, but it's definitely a great game.

Tuck

Hmm Aeana's post and previous impressions on the game's pacing have convinced me to take this game really slow and not rush through it I think. Play it more like I would a SM3DL which took me quite a large number of short play sessions to finish.

Maybe not as short but I'm definitely not going to try and finish this in a few days. Not even in a few weeks I think.
I agree. 4 hours in sofar. Gonna take my time and not try and plow through it in a week.

Marjar

Banned
I'll agree that the pacing seems a bit weird. Just beat Dozing Sands and I'm about 9 hours in. Seems pretty long for this type of game.

Burning Justice

the superior princess

I'm about 20 hours into it, just finished Driftwood Shore. This post, for the most part, pretty much echoes how I feel about it.

I honestly don't mind the tutorials at all--most of the ones that aren't skippable take about 30 seconds, at most. They aren't any worse than the ones in previous M&L games.

The game is dragging, though. It's just too long for its own good. There definitely isn't enough enemy variety--to be fair, that was kind of a problem in previous M&L games as well, but in those games, you weren't in each area long enough for it to really start getting noticeable. In this game, though, you're in each area for about 4-5 hours. Also, some of the battles take too long to finish, particularly the ones in the Dream World. And the story just doesn't feel like it's moving fast enough, either.

Overall, I don't hate the game, but it's definitely not as good as BIS.

El Odio

Banned
Just got to Wakeport and met Lil Massif. I swear I spent like 5 minutes at first just sitting there listening to the music. The soundtrack to this game is just amazing for the battles and really relaxing overworldwise. Some of the themes like mushrise park and wakeport give me some serious Kirby vibes.

Madouu

Just got to Wakeport and met Lil Massif. I swear I spent like 5 minutes at first just sitting there listening to the music. The soundtrack to this game is just amazing for the battles and really relaxing overworldwise. Some of the themes like mushrise park and wakeport give me some serious Kirby vibes.

The little I've heard in the demo is simply amazing, a shame the XL speakers don't do it justice. I urge everybody to play with headphones on, it's a different experience altogether.

zroid

Banned
well I put in about 2.5 hours yesterday

so far...
- visuals and spritework are amazing
- music is amazing
- tutorials up till now have not been as intrusive as I was led to believe, although it is slightly annoying when they ask you "are you sure???" I've been skipping all of them except for the one about badges.
- Dialogue has been enjoyable to read. "I hope you regret your decision for eternity" --> I laughed every time I read this line :p
- expert challenges are cool
- Mixed feelings about Dreamland so far. I love the presentation of it, and Dream battles are super fun. But I am really not liking the 2D platforming. The movement just doesn't feel conducive to that sort of gameplay. It's unfortunate, because everything about Dreamland is great, except for navigating it.

anyhoo, overall it's good fun, but I'm still early

zroid

Banned
By the way--

does anyone else really like jumping in rhythm to the music? I just can't help myself, every time I have to walk anywhere, I turn it into a faux rhythm game. I find it extremely entertaining. I love jump sound effects.

Frost_Ace

30 hours in and I can safely say this game has the best BS in the series, love the bros attacks and the complicated enemy patterns.

Top Bottom