• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

Busaiku

I got Bros Attack 3 from the Attack Pieces in Dozing Sands, and I'm about to leave.
Am I missing a Bros Attack or something?

It feels like I should have 4 as well.

Yuterald

Got to the first field, really digging the design of the area. Wrap-arounds galore, tightly packed mapping, loving this game. Out of all the Mario & Luigi RPGs I've played, I think this one has my favorite battle system too. Love the dream world mechanics as well.

Berordn

I got Bros Attack 3 from the Attack Pieces in Dozing Sands, and I'm about to leave.
Am I missing a Bros Attack or something?

It feels like I should have 4 as well.

Nope, you get them really slowly. You had more at that point in BiS because Mario and Luigi shared the same attacks.

Even within the Mario universe, I actaully really liked Sticker Star's OST.

was that this year? felt like last year o_O

SS got a neat ost too. Pretty much all mario rpgs do.

really the only bummer i have with this game, and I guess all mario & luigi games. I feel like mario moves about 40% too slow on the 3d top down maps, and also transitions is a tad too long for nintendo imo, getting from menu to game screen shouldn't take that long...

Big Chungus

Is Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story worth finishing?

I just defeated
The caterpillar boss inside Bowser and got the first Dark Curse Cure, heading to Bowser's castle now

How much more is there?

DJ_Lae

Oh man, I didn't expect to have my first videogame lock-up in a year or so in a Nintendo published game.

Just beat the first 'boss' (I guess), now everything's frozen. Music is still playing, Mario's still doing his little combat idle animation, and it's been that way for a good five minutes now.

Game's been fun otherwise, though.

Berordn

Is Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story worth finishing?

I just defeated
The caterpillar boss inside Bowser and got the first Dark Curse Cure, heading to Bowser's castle now

How much more is there?

You're about 2/3rds through the game at that point. It's probably worth finishing, the finale's pretty great.

Don't know, I'm towards the end of the game (32 hours in).
I'm disappointed. Not as much as I was with Paper Mario: Sticker Star, but I'm disappointed.
The story is boring and stupid. Now that's kinda OK, but it's the boring part that really breaks the deal for me. I don't demand an interesting plot or character development, it's a Mario RPG, but Paper at least had good, funny dialogues.
The main problem are the dialogues, in fact. Repetitive, boring, unskippable. Especially the explanations of the moves you can do in the Dream World, like the mustache jump, they're incredibly long and dull. They never end. I found myself raising my voice saying "I got, I know how to do this fucking move, just let me do this!" too many times.
The enemies are OK and I liked some of the references (
the viruses
), but some of them seem broken to me. They act randomly sometimes, but maybe that's just me (mind though, I played all the M&L except the very first one, I'm not new to the gameplay).
The best part are the Kaju-like battles. Graphically they're beautiful (way better than the general game which is a little lukewarm imho), and they always offer a new way to defeat the bosses, not like the normal bosses which involve always basically the same strategy.
I'm almost at the end and I'm very bored and annoyed, but well, it's gonna be over soon. For now, the game it's a little more than decent for me, but absolutely nothing special. I hope the next RPG Mario game, hopefully for the WiiU, is a lot better. If not, it's time to put things at rest, probably.

Alrus

You like the giant fight? Except for one or two of them, I find them to be a giant giant pain in the ass. (God I'm at one of them right now, probably the last or second to last one, and I just feel like breaking my 3DS out in frustration...).

Outside of that I enjoy the game. Got all the Pillo's and did all the "expert" challenges. I just really hate the giant boss fight, they're annoying and the gyro controls in them are especially awful.

I didn't mind the giant battles (even though they really don't make sense compared to Bowsers Inside Story), but the last one was really bad.
Thank god you had unlimited tries for the finisher...

DaBoss

Just at the beginning of the Desert area and have enjoyed pretty much most things up to that point. Only thing that annoyed me was the asking of things twice. I mean if 'No' isn't the default option and I would have to knowingly set it on 'No', so it shouldn't ask me twice, but this was in previous M&L games.

Everything seemed fine so far. I didn't really find the beginning dull really. There was some funny dialogue and animations, especially the part where some guy says Starlow is nude and the response to that.

Alrus

I didn't mind the giant battles (even though they really don't make sense compared to Bowsers Inside Story), but the last one was really bad.
Thank god you had unlimited tries for the finisher...

Oh I'm at the last one then, yeah that finisher part was freaking frustrating.

Alrus

Finished the game, 44h total. (took me a while to get all the expert badge because I kind of suck at dodging...). Missing a few beans and probably some blocks but I don't really care :p

Anyway, last boss was pitifully easy for me. Guess I was overgeared/leveled. Shouldn't have equipped that 2 move by turn accessory. Made the last boss way too easy, I don't think he lasted more than 5 turns :/ Was also doing 800-1000 dmg per Bros Attack...

Well I enjoyed the game a great deal, but in my opinion it's just way too long. Most of the areas got boring because they kept going and kept going, even though they started great.
Outside of that, the music is amazing, the plot was entertaining and the combat was fun as always. Only issues is the countless tutorials for the Luiginary Works, they make you feel like the game thinks you're an idiot.

I'm a seasoned Paper Mario veteran but this is my first venture into the Mario and Luigi series. I'm enjoying the game a lot so far but I just finished the battle where you
play as giant Luigi and turn the 3DS on it's side
. It was a cool idea for a fight but the whole damn thing was basically a tutorial. And I'm guessing those mechanics will never be used again? Ugh, enough with this. It's like the complete opposite of Sticker Star (I'm one of the few that loved it) which tells you basically nothing. You would think they would be able to find a happy medium between the two.

DaBoss

I'm a seasoned Paper Mario veteran but this is my first venture into the Mario and Luigi series. I'm enjoying the game a lot so far but I just finished the battle where you
play as giant Luigi and turn the 3DS on it's side
. It was a cool idea for a fight but the whole damn thing was basically a tutorial. And I'm guessing those mechanics will never be used again? Ugh, enough with this. It's like the complete opposite of Sticker Star (I'm one of the few that loved it) which tells you basically nothing. You would think they would be able to find a happy medium between the two.

It will be used again.

Tuck

Traded Sticker Star in and got this for $0.

2 hours in, initial thoughts:

-Was dissapointed with the 3D initially. In fact I'm pretty sure one cutscene early on wasn't 3D at all. Still not as deep as I want, but its better.

-Art style is lovely though doesn't translate as well to the 3DS screen as I had hoped. The Mario/Luigi animations are fantastic and remind me of old disney cartoons.

-Too much text. Too many tutorials. They won't shut up. I hate that star-ball character. He exists solely to annoy me. And a lot of what they are teaching/saying is obvious or stuff I learned in the last three games.

-Luigi powers are cool. Nice use of the touch screen

-I really like how sometimes you need to move the analog stick in the dreamworld battles - an interesting new mechanic and it works.

-Battle loading animations are ever so slightly too long. Pretty, though.

Overall, a little disappointing, but only slightly. I think it will pick up. The beginning was really slow but I think now that the real game has started to get going, it should be fun. I played all the other Mario and Luigi games and beat none of them, despite loving them all. This ones gonna be different... I hope.

Penguin

I should have been paying attention, but there was a character who said to come see him as you rescued the Pillow people, and for the life of me can't remember where he is supposed to be?

El Odio

Banned
I should have been paying attention, but there was a character who said to come see him as you rescued the Pillow people, and for the life of me can't remember where he is supposed to be?
That's Eldream. IIRC, when he leaves you he mentions he's going to take a nap in Brickles bed so he's probably there. I think.

ffdgh

Mushrise park where you fought that watering machine boss.

Trying the demo the normal world was pretty meh but the dream world was pretty good and introduced new things.

Order from play-asia, should get it in 3-4 weeks :/

PS: It's pretty crazy that buying an US game from Hong Kong is cheaper than buying it from the US due to USPS crazy international postage prices.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man, the first
battle against Bowser was pretty tough, especially as I put all my stat bonuses in Mario's ATK leaving him extremely fragile. Took me four tries to beat him, using the Luigi Ball and healing like every turn.

Sora_N

Traded Sticker Star in and got this for $0.

2 hours in, initial thoughts:

-Was dissapointed with the 3D initially. In fact I'm pretty sure one cutscene early on wasn't 3D at all. Still not as deep as I want, but its better.

-Art style is lovely though doesn't translate as well to the 3DS screen as I had hoped. The Mario/Luigi animations are fantastic and remind me of old disney cartoons.

-Too much text. Too many tutorials. They won't shut up. I hate that star-ball character. He exists solely to annoy me. And a lot of what they are teaching/saying is obvious or stuff I learned in the last three games.

-Luigi powers are cool. Nice use of the touch screen

-I really like how sometimes you need to move the analog stick in the dreamworld battles - an interesting new mechanic and it works.

-Battle loading animations are ever so slightly too long. Pretty, though.

Overall, a little disappointing, but only slightly. I think it will pick up. The beginning was really slow but I think now that the real game has started to get going, it should be fun. I played all the other Mario and Luigi games and beat none of them, despite loving them all. This ones gonna be different... I hope.

Do you like this more than Sticker Star though? I might trade in tomorrow as well!

Busaiku

Can Bye Bye Cannon fail if it kills an enemy before completion?
I always get it down during the demo, but so far (against the Hermite Crabs), I can't even get the 2nd sequence in.

Berordn

Can Bye Bye Cannon fail if it kills an enemy before completion?
I always get it down during the demo, but so far (against the Hermite Crabs), I can't even get the 2nd sequence in.

I don't think the battle will end until the attack finishes in some way, though the enemies stop taking damage.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I've beaten a couple of bosses now, and most of them have taken quite a long time. It has me seriously wondering if they mucked with the boss HP again like they did before (I think it was in Partners in Time).

There's some seriously hilarious lines in there, sometimes not directly in front of you. For example, when you go to Brickle's house and
he gets thrown off the platform near his workers, they're like "You OK?" and "Boss Brickle!" and then one of them is like "Can I have next weekend off?"

That got a huge laugh out of me. I think there's quite a bit of stuff like that if you're paying attention. NPC dialog is also pretty hilarious at times.

oh yeah, I remember that scene, it made me laugh
it just feels like the real comedy gold comes from the Bros themselves here, they basically behave like a manzai duo and got a MASSIVE set of animations game almost feels like a Buster Keaton flick. One in particular made me lol, it occurs in Wakeport

and what about when they hug each other? Ahah, so damn cute

Timeaisis

So I caved and bought this yesterday. I played for like 5 hours straight, really loving it so far.

I have to say, though, I don't see what the big deal is about all the tutorials. I don't understand the complaints. Sure, there are many of them (the game does introduce a new mechanic seemingly every 10 minutes), but they are all about ~1 minute each. And yes, there's a lot of dialogue, but that's what I was expecting. It is a M&L game, after all, there's always lots of dialogue. Maybe it's just me being a veteran of the series and being used to it, but god, the reviews make it sound like the first 3 hours of the game are all tutorials or something.

Also,
Brickle in the carrot suit got me pretty good.

Gartooth

9 hours in and I'm in love with this game. Currently in Wakeport inside
the tour guide's dream.
Really fun battle mechanics and the series just oozes character and charm. Also love how the Mario & Luigi series feels like it has a sense of continuity by referencing previous game's events/characters, unlike say the Paper Mario series.

Ragus

Banned
After 16 hours, I'm fed up with this game. And I don't even mind the tutorials. The writing isn't as charming and funny as in prequels and I really think, that this game has a big pacing problem. Everytime something that has a chance to be interesting happens, suddenly we are awarded with a task to go for the 100232324 time to the fucking Dream World, which I find very uninteresting and boring. Platforming feels like in a cheap flash game, and my god everything is so repetitive.

I dunno, the game looks pretty, it does seem to be polished and all, but I just can't play it anymore. Everytime I launch it, I turn my 3DS off after 15 minutes.

Madouu

I just downloaded the demo and wow you guys weren't exaggerating about the music sounding pretty bad through the XL speakers (at least on the intro screen).

I hope it gets better in-game.

edit: seems better in game, I'll also try headphones later. The music is sooooo good, XL speakers don't do it justice.

edit: okay I couldn't take it anymore and I grabbed some cheap headphones that were lying around and all is good now, it sounds great! Can't wait to go back home and play the full game.

hatchx

Banned
Ugh this thread. Very mixed opinions. I loved the demo but I'm afraid of the tutorials and repetition.

I don't know what to do.

eXistor

Ugh this thread. Very mixed opinions. I loved the demo but I'm afraid of the tutorials and repetition.

I don't know what to do.

Hard to say. I've played roughly 55 hours and made it to what I think is the final dungeon and gave up. I did the same with PiT. The game is solid fun, but it would have been infinitely better if half the content were cut, it goes on for freaking ever. I'd place it above PiT, but not much.

hatchx

Banned
Hard to say. I've played roughly 55 hours and made it to what I think is the final dungeon and gave up. I did the same with PiT. The game is solid fun, but it would have been infinitely better if half the content were cut, it goes on for freaking ever. I'd place it above PiT, but not much.

Arg, I didn't get fair in PiT either. The demo was so charming and I loved the ideas presented in the trailers....too bad.

Atleast there are a shitload of other games to play right now.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

I don't know what to do.

repetition is almost nonexistant, not sure where that's coming from. But be yourself the judge, mate

Berordn

I do get the complaints about the Dream World, at least. A lot of the time they're fairly barren with little to no exploration, mostly just a straight line. There's far fewer enemies than there were compared to Bowser's body, which is probably the fairest comparison to make.

It's mostly a letdown because the 3D world is actually pretty fantastic.

Ragus

Banned
I do get the complaints about the Dream World, at least. A lot of the time they're fairly barren with little to no exploration, mostly just a straight line. There's far fewer enemies than there were compared to Bowser's body, which is probably the fairest comparison to make.

It's mostly a letdown because the 3D world is actually pretty fantastic.

One thing I like about Dream World, are Luiginary Attacks, as they are goddamn awesome.

eXistor

repetition is almost nonexistant, not sure where that's coming from. But be yourself the judge, mate
I guess everyone experiences it differently, but every area you unlock has you doing the same thing in a different guise and again; the areas are way too long. They could have easily cut the screens in half and accomplished the same thing in half the time.

I actually think the dream parts are my least favorite parts of the game, there's very little imagination going on there and they rarely serve a purpose outside of arbitrary collecting.

But still, I consider PiT to be the worst in the series and I still kinda like that one, so it's not like I hate the game (I wouldn't spend 55 hours on it if I did). At least you get your money's worth.

Oh man, I didn't expect to have my first videogame lock-up in a year or so in a Nintendo published game.

Just beat the first 'boss' (I guess), now everything's frozen. Music is still playing, Mario's still doing his little combat idle animation, and it's been that way for a good five minutes now.

Game's been fun otherwise, though.

The shadow Mario's fight? Happened to me too.

Top Bottom