• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

zroid

Banned
after being thoroughly demoralized over the last couple weeks, I'm actually slowly getting re-hyped for this. excited to dig into it in a few days.

shtkn

i got to play the demo and i noticed that the music is really low fidelity... i really hope that's just the demo...

Just drove to two Wal-Marts in the area. Nothing. There are displays up saying that the game is 'out now', but every employee I asked had no idea when they are actually getting copies in stock, never mind the banner that says it was out now. Damn, and I was hoping to sit back, relax, and smoke a bowl while enjoying the game. Guess I'm going to have to wait yet again.

Castcoder

Banned
I bought this today and totally forgot about my Shin Megami Tensei/ Fire Emblem money. Oh well, guess I'll wait for X and Y to use it. :/ (And don't convince me to buy lackluster Wii U games with that money, please).

Busaiku

Agh, getting the Dodge Ten 1 is gonna be so hard...
I need to buy all those old equips that do like no damage.

Why isn't there a skip turn option.

Bogeypop

I was thinking about this. Despite being able to return to areas to do Expert Challenges you missed you might be overleveled and accidentally kill enemies, so I've been making it a point not to leave areas until I finish all the Challenges I unlocked. As for those "in a row" challenges, in case I mess up and am too lazy to start over again I let the enemies kill me and start the battle over to keep my streak intact.

Busaiku

The Boo Cookie doesn't even count any dodges, so I have to waste a ton of money on equips/items just getting them again...

Got this yesterday and I'm five hours in. I beat the first boss and I'm loving it so far, it's really a fun, charming little RPG with lots of character and style to it, a huge improvement from Sticker Star in every aspect.

Let me just say that the complaints about the tutorials are completely ridiculous in my eyes. Unless for whatever reason they get WORSE as the game goes on, every tutorial I've encountered has been either skippable, or only a few seconds long. Not a big deal in the slightest. Perhaps on multiple playthroughs they could be mildly irritating, but as of now they haven't proved to be any more than a button press away.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I forget, how long is this again?

45 hours on average if you look for all the missing Pi'illos (52 in total, some are mandatory, the vast majority are hidden), all the Action Blocks and explore the environment. I didn't even grind and finished at level 37, which I regretted a bit since I could have bought the Rainbow Class exclusive gear :/

It's a damn long game

Everyone hates Europe

go away with that shit, we're still waiting for SMTIV

This is why I redid the first boss fight until I dodged every attack.

Really enjoying the game so far. The dialogue is funny, and the graphics are lovely. Just beat the first boss.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This is why I redid the first boss fight until I dodged every attack.

Really enjoying the game so far. The dialogue is funny, and the graphics are lovely. Just beat the first boss.
Are there achievements for dodging every bosses attack? That's a bit too much imo, will I miss a lot if I don't get them?

seems like doing every challenge nets you an item that lets you
attack twice per turn

not sure if its needed on 'normal', so think ill do what challenges i can/want for normal playthrough.

Peff

- Boo Cookies do count for dodging challenges, it's the whole reason they exist, but you can still get hit and be forced to restart.
- Bosses don't have challenges. In fact there are only like four or so types that are the same for every new area (and its dream version), which is a bit annoying.
- You can save scum, but the game doesn't seem to have a soft reset, so think of the average time in the 3DS records D:
- The challenges aren't really worth bothering with. By the time you get the last item (and there's a big gap between it and the one before) you have plenty of overpowered stuff anyway.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So if I make shure that I don't get hit the next ten times I enter a new area, always do excellent attacks and defeat every standard enemy without being hit, I'll be fine? Forgot about the special attacks, but they should be the least of all problems anyway.

Peff

They respawn...eventually. I think it may be time based, because even moving to the other side of the island didn't seem to reset them.

You know... something that has always nagged me about mario.

his jump/uppercut thing is strong enough to break blocks of bricks and in this game, freaking nightmares... why does it always leave to you getting hurt while trying to jump under enemies?

smash bros is probably the only time its used as an attack.

Mario can't break bricks by jumping on them (only butt stomp).

hmmmmm.

Fireblend

Banned
Played the demo and I think I'm gonna like this game. Had it preordered for a while but I gotta wait until it gets sent all the way here and that's gonna take like another week D:

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Impressions after playing all night:

- Tutorials are spaced out and many can be outright skipped. Doesn't seem better or worse than BIS so far. Typical for the series.
- Writing is not that bad, there are some funny quips, but the Pi'illo folk are a bit dry.
- Challenge system may indeed bit a little extraneous, but they happen anyway for fighting battles well, one supposes.
- World layout and level design is really good, dream world Luigi powers are fun.
- Music is very nice, living up to Paper Mario and M&L tradition so far.
- Save almost anywhere is a very good thing.

The vibe I'm getting so far is that the game is somehow a little back to basics because it's just the bros. No baby partners, no swapping out to a totally different character (Bowser). Bowser's Inside Story has a certain quality of zest to it because playing a character like Bowser is very rare and that game leveraged it for all it was worth.

Dream Team is quite charming on its own terms, but I could understand some feeling it's a step back after BIS. May depend on what you're looking for.

whoever did the spritework for this at alphadreams should work on other nintendo games too.

its fucking fantastic. It's easily the best looking mario in games, period for me.

Dust: elysian tales, dream team, project x zone. rayman legends.

year of god tier sprites.

ffdgh

The second boss in the battle ring is kicking my butt
bowser/antasma x
I'm enjoying the challenge tho. Once again music praise. This time for wake port.

Are there achievements for dodging every bosses attack? That's a bit too much imo, will I miss a lot if I don't get them?

Not for boss attacks. Boss battles are still battles, so since they have more HP they are good for the dodge attack achievements.

I just tried playing Dream Team on my OG 3DS. The sprites don't seem to be any clearer than the XL, its just that the screen is way smaller is all.

Gartooth

Now in the desert area and my enjoyment of the game has rocketed back up, feels like a classic Mario & Luigi now! Just a shame how boring the first few hours are, but it seems like I'm over the worst of it.

Nohar

This game is tempting... I liked BIS, though I got tired of it towards the end. It seems reviews are divided (and that the beginning of the game is outright boring). I know that the gameplay is going to be fun, and that the music won't disappoint (after all, it's Yoko Shimomura), should I give it a try?

This game is tempting... I liked BIS, though I got tired of it towards the end. It seems reviews are divided (and that the beginning of the game is outright boring). I know that the gameplay is going to be fun, and that the music won't disappoint (after all, it's Yoko Shimomura), should I give it a try?

sure, purely for the sprites alone. nintendo can make pretty games!

It is quite like BIS though... maybe a bit too similar.

maybe wait for a sale... in like 3 years lol. Having enough fun though.

the reviews lowered my expectations, so i guess that helped lol.

the first time luigi possesses the 'mustache pillar thing' and mario freaking out is probably the most funny moment i've had in games for a while lol.

that mode's face is just hilarious.

Tadale

I'm really enjoying the game, but I'm having the same problem with it as I had with BIS – the dream sequences are kinda bland and boring and too similar to the inside bowser sequences in the last game. Plus the game thinks you're a raging moron.

DaBoss

Yea, that is one of the things I get from watching Dream Team videos. It looks very similar to BiS. That is kinda one of the things that I'm disappointed about. It isn't exactly like BiS, but just a makeover to BiS. Of course I didn't play it yet, and going to get it today, but I can't help but get that impression. At least the Luiginary works gives it a new feel to the dream world.

And Sticker Star isn't even a RPG :p

RPG-lite

Tuck

How is this a huge improvement from Sticker Star? The games aren't even from the same series.
Paper Mario is regarded as an RPG franchise, very much like Mario and Luigi. But Sticker Star was pretty disappointing in that it wasn't an RPG. So saying this game is a step up is both reasonable and, IMO, correct.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oi, I had fun with the demo, but playing the Bosses revealed the one irk I have with the series, especially in BiS...the fights get exhausting after awhile and go on for too long, I remember hating enemy encounters in BiS, especially some of the larger Bowser foes, because they took forever.

BiS I also felt had this really annoying "theme" that played constantly whenever a tutorial section started, and a lot of the mini-games you had to constantly do began with this music which always ruined my mood. I imagine this game is simillar in that it constantly makes you do inane mini-games that slow the pace down? Overall the music and graphics hooked me, but I'm very weary since the last two M&L let me down.

Also, here's a weird thing going on with my 3DS...it gets pretty hot when charging it, and the right backside feels really soft and makes this annoying click when I put my finger on it, and I can feel it depress a bit. Please don't be breaking, I have so much shit on here.

Oi, I had fun with the demo, but playing the Bosses revealed the one irk I have with the series, especially in BiS...the fights get exhausting after awhile and go on for too long, I remember hating enemy encounters in BiS, especially some of the larger Bowser foes, because they took forever.

BiS I also felt had this really annoying "theme" that played constantly whenever a tutorial section started, and a lot of the mini-games you had to constantly do began with this music which always ruined my mood. I imagine this game is simillar in that it constantly makes you do inane mini-games that slow the pace down? Overall the music and graphics hooked me, but I'm very weary since the last two M&L let me down.

Also, here's a weird thing going on with my 3DS...it gets pretty hot when charging it, and the right backside feels really soft and makes this annoying click when I put my finger on it, and I can feel it depress a bit. Please don't be breaking, I have so much shit on here.

You find the super mario bros overworld theme annoying?

The theme does begin to grate a bit once you've heard it remixed in every Mario game, and that's a lot of games.
But even then it's not that annoying.

The theme does begin to grate a bit once you've heard it remixed in every Mario game, and that's a lot of games.
But even then it's not that annoying.

its grained in me too deeply lol. probably the only song ever that i won't get tired of remixing.

its not even that common in mario games though. probably hear it at most 1 stage or map or w/e of an entire game.

Watch Da Birdie

You find the super mario bros overworld theme annoying?

Well, it wasn't the actual Tutorial Music, it was this song that played during a lot of cutscenes often preluding a little mini-game or explaining a game mechanic, for example when you meet the Parakoopas and they tell you about using that shell power.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOetJPnN1ek

It's a nice song, but I remember it popping up constantly and often took forever it seemed like.

Well, it wasn't the actual Tutorial Music, it was this song that played during a lot of cutscenes often preluding a little mini-game or explaining a game mechanic, for example when you meet the Parakoopas and they tell you about using that shell power.

It's a nice song, but I remember it popping up constantly and often took forever it seemed like.

ah ok.

but yeah, so glad you can blast through text in these games by mashing a or b. Wish Zelda allowed that :(

its grained in me too deeply lol. probably the only song ever that i won't get tired of remixing.

its not even that common in mario games though. probably hear it at most 1 stage or map or w/e of an entire game.
1 stage or map per game still builds up though! Understandable since it's the iconic main theme of the series but it'd be nice to hear some of the other memorable overworld themes get subbed in for a change.
Actually the SMB underground theme might turn up even more than the overworld theme, now that's a theme which I actually have heard too much of.

Oh that song, yeah I wasn't much of a fan either coming to think of it.

Watch Da Birdie

Well, I gave in and bought it, as I had 25.00 left over on my 3DS or so...for some reason, it let me use my registered Visa Card to purchase the game, even though that card actually expired this month I thought. Um...so, where did the money come from exactly? I just hope this doesn't screw up my account.

Still downloading, but looking forward to it and going in with a positive mind.

1 stage or map per game still builds up though! Understandable since it's the iconic main theme of the series but it'd be nice to hear some of the other memorable overworld themes get subbed in for a change.
Actually the SMB underground theme might turn up even more than the overworld theme, now that's a theme which I actually have heard too much of.

Oh that song, yeah I wasn't much of a fan either coming to think of it.

underground theme and underwater theme lol.

1-1 theme is rarely used for an actual stage these days. last i can recall was the sweets galaxy in smg2.

that nsmb theme though... fuck that.

Top Bottom