• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

Kard8p3

I can't comment on the quality of the game but after listening to a good portion of the soundtrack I think it's safe to say this is probably the best soundtrack of the series.

Kard8p3

So good.

This is really good.

Yeah it really is. The person that uploaded that theme uploaded a few other themes that I'm assuming are from late in the game. They're all incredible but I accidentally spoiled something. It's all good though because it'll be awhile before I get a chance to play it.

Shahadan

43Gitiv.jpg

Sums up my feeling exactly :lol:
I should remember to not buy the next one this time.

Owl pls, update us on your continued advancement through the game. Surely they let you solve some things on your own 20 hours into the game, yes?

afoni

Banned
I'm on the fourth giant Luigi boss and I'm about ready to throw my 3DS at a wall. The motion controls are literally broken.

Fucking hell. I think it's safe to say this might be the second weakest Mario and Luigi.

Mistle

The music and art in this game is incredible. I'm only at the start still so I can't really comment on the overall quality of the game, but I'm loving it so far.

Might abandon this thread however as there is quite a bit of negativity, and I don't want to taint my experience with the game. Hopefully it doesn't get as bad as some people say- I'm having a very hard time imagining it does.

afoni

Banned
The music and art in this game is incredible. I'm only at the start still so I can't really comment on the overall quality of the game, but I'm loving it so far.

Might abandon this thread however as there is quite a bit of negativity, and I don't want to taint my experience with the game. Hopefully it doesn't get as bad as some people say- I'm having a very hard time imagining it does.

Mandatory motion/touch screen controls have hampered it for me.

Heavily.

Bladenic

I'm on the fourth giant Luigi boss and I'm about ready to throw my 3DS at a wall. The motion controls are literally broken.

Fucking hell. I think it's safe to say this might be the second weakest Mario and Luigi.

Ugh sounds the same as the later Giant Bowser fights from BIS. Cant believe they thought reusing that shit was a good idea.

TrueBlue

For what it's worth, I'm having a fantastic time of it. If you can handle tutorials (which are quick to race through) then you'll be absolutely fine. Plus, I haven't had any real trouble with the motion/touch controls, they're pretty simple really. As you say, the music and artistry in this game is fantastic. I also admire how they've freshened up the battle mechanics while keeping the same winning formula as before. Good stuff all round really, certainly nothing that strikes me as overly "annoying".

Owl pls, update us on your continued advancement through the game. Surely they let you solve some things on your own 20 hours into the game, yes?

Well that one mechanic I came across earlier that wasn't explained has been a one off so far so maybe after all this time they felt somewhat comfortable with letting the player off the leash for a bit, though i've yet to come across anything new since so it's still an ever so exciting mystery.

If it's any consolation JC, you liked Bowser's Inside Story a lot, this one should be fine for you, it feels more in line with that entry than SS or PiT.

afoni

Banned
Does your touch screen work at all? Your avatar suggests that you liked Skyward Sword, which had a ton of gimmicky controlls.

It's more the motion controls than the touch screen stuff here. Like, the 3DS tilt is so sensitive that it's just awkward. When you design set-piece bosses around gimmicky controls that don't work smoothly enough, you have to question whether or not QA even came into the equation with it. The only good use of motion controls is the Luiginary ball attack, which is actually fun to use.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm really enjoying the game as a whole. It's just that some of the shit it's throwing my way is completely unacceptable from something you'd expect from first party Nintendo title.

(also for the record, I really liked Skyward Sword and found the controls to be fine. This is a completely different gift basket of shit.)

Edit: How far into it are you Nocturnowl? I've literally just hit what I'm supposing is the final dungeon.

Edit: How far into it are you Nocturnowl? I've literally just hit what I'm supposing is the final dungeon.
I'm not quite that far,
I just finished the Beach area
Time currently at just over 16 hours.

On the point of controls, I haven't come across anything that's really bothered me, usually the gyro is something I don't get along with but i've been fine with it here and was surprised at how well the Luiginary Ball attack controlled, really my only issue is the one that comes with having to bring out the stylus alongside button controls for some of the dream world sections which will always be a bit fiddly but due to the nature of the game being an RPG that's not a deal breaker.

afoni

Banned
You'll know the part I got frustrated with as soon as you encounter it, don't you worry. You're not too close to it yet though, so enjoy it while you can.

Also, yes, there are tutorials absolutely everywhere even in late-game. There was only that one Luiginary mechanic that had no tutorial. It's almost like they just forgot to put it in there or something. 30 hours in and that's the only part that didn't require tutorial.

ramyeon

I enjoyed the first giant Luigi boss fight purely because of novelty but I have a feeling I'm going to come to get sick of them pretty quickly...

Kard8p3

I can't look it up right now but I could've sworn in the Iwata Asks interview someone said the giant luigi battles were outsourced.

I just got to the boss fight at the end of the dessert section and that was absolutely incredible.

One of the most fun gaming experiences I've ever had.

I can't wait to see how the game implements it as the story progresses.

Edit - And as I read above it seems it doesn't do that very well. Hmm. :(

TrueBlue

You'll know the part I got frustrated with as soon as you encounter it, don't you worry. You're not too close to it yet though, so enjoy it while you can.

Also, yes, there are tutorials absolutely everywhere even in late-game. There was only that one Luiginary mechanic that had no tutorial. It's almost like they just forgot to put it in there or something. 30 hours in and that's the only part that didn't require tutorial.

Motion controls have been fine for me thus far, so when it comes to set*pieces, hopefully it's just you. :p

Ragus

Banned
Wow, some posts in this thread are worrying. I'm getting a Sticker Star vibe. I already skipped Paper Mario, but I just can't skip M&L

afoni

Banned
Wow, some posts in this thread are worrying. I'm getting a Sticker Star vibe. I already skipped Paper Mario, but I just can't skip M&L

This is a wonderful game with some stupidly annoying things scattered about. This definitely isn't a Sticker Star situation, just a great game with flaws.

Kard8p3

Just you wait until THAT boss.

I looked it up for you - you're 100% correct. They really are absolutely horrific.

Yep thanks for that. It's a shame they weren't able to do it themselves. Still it seems like with the exception of Giant Luigi and an over abundance of tutorials the game is still really good.

zroid

Banned
damn, haven't been watching this thread much so kind of shocked to see all these bad vibes all of a sudden

sounds like the main problem is being overly didactic, but that doesn't really bother me the way it seems to for most people. still a bummer to see the game not living up to a lot of people's expectations. :(

Lucent

Yeah getting tutorial after tutorial is annoying in any game. I understand getting a new tutorial for a mini-game or something, but constantly reminding you of stuff and all that? Doesn't sound good. I'm getting SMTIV tomorrow and there is a LOT coming out next month. I'll probably get this at some other point and get something else next month.

TrueBlue

damn, haven't been watching this thread much so kind of shocked to see all these bad vibes all of a sudden

sounds like the main problem is being overly didactic, but that doesn't really bother me the way it seems to for most people. still a bummer to see the game not living up to a lot of people's expectations. :(

Dude, afoni just called this a "wonderful game'. If his issues don't bother you as much, you'll be fine.

afoni

Banned
Yep thanks for that. It's a shame they weren't able to do it themselves. Still it seems like with the exception of Giant Luigi and an over abundance of tutorials the game is still really good.

Yeah, that's how I feel. It's still a wonderful game despite those things though.

Edit:

Dude, afoni just called this a "wonderful game'. If his issues don't bother you as much, you'll be fine.

Haha, didn't see this when I typed the bit just above. Yeah, it's still a great game despite some incredibly frustrating moments.

The creation of the 3D models were outsourced, not the battles themselves.

Doesn't make it any better.

I WILL FINISH THE GAME TODAY.

EXPECT A FINAL VERDICT LATER TODAY, AS I AM THE VOICE OF NEO-NINTENDO GAF.

- afoni, tenth sovereign of nintendo gaf

Robin64

It's not necessarily that the tutorials and reminders aren't quick to blitz through (sometimes they are), but that they happen all the damn time. Every new area, every new mechanic, every cutscene you see.. Someone appears to talk shit at you that will make you question if the game genuinely thinks you are stupid.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
don't the motion controls make it difficult to play with 3D on? I found the Luigi's Mansion 2 balancing really annoying in that regard.

afoni

Banned
don't the motion controls make it difficult to play with 3D on? I found the Luigi's Mansion 2 balancing really annoying in that regard.

The bros attacks that'll mess with the 3D have a prompt to let you turn it on and off with the R button before you start it. Even then, the only one that seems to mess with the 3D to the point of irritation is the slingshot one, and you'll probably only use that on bosses (and holy wow does it do a ton of damage with +pow badge effects).

Shahadan

Massif Bros are the worst characters in the game. Saying repeatedly "BEEF!" with a long ass animation doesn't make you funny, ffs.

Shahadan

Are the tutorials really that bad? Many harped on Skyward Sword for the same reason but I loved that game.

It depends. If you're playing the game all week end this shit will get to you hard, since the game introduces a new mechanic every hour or so, with a tutorial on top of the usual dialogue heavy shenanigans at every screen.
I suppose that if you're taking your time you'll notice it far less.

But in the end eveyrone has a different level of tolerance anyway. But yes there are a lot of tutorials and they talk to you like you're dumb. The game still insisting of showing you how to use the circle pad to move when you get a new move baffled me, for example. Also the "double tutorial" thing. When you get a new move the game explains it to you via dialogue and visuals, and then you get another message displaying AGAIN how to use the move (and that last message would have been more than enough :lol: )

Kensuke

You should stick around. Going in with some negativity can actually make your experience better, because of the lower expectations.

Are the tutorials really that bad? Many harped on Skyward Sword for the same reason but I loved that game.

I also loved Skyward Sword. The difference is that most of the laborious tutorials happen in Skyloft, while they continue through most of the game in DTB.

Having replayed Bowser's Inside Story not long ago, Dream Team really doesn't strike me as being worse in the tutorial department. Have we forgotten the BIS tutorials right up until the final battle?

They're a flaw, sure, but they're present throughout this series, and most of the stuff you're already likely to know from previous games is skippable. It's the double-edged sword of this franchise, really; every game introduces a truly laudable amount of gameplay variety right the way through, but it's hamstrung by its desire (and, really, requirement) to explain all of these systems.

Personally, I think this is battling with Superstar Saga as my favourite of the series, because GODDAMN I love Dreamy Battles. I've just beaten
the boss battle with Bowser's Troops in the Beach Dream World, and it really was amazingly fun.

Shahadan

Personally, I think this is battling with Superstar Saga as my favourite of the series, because GODDAMN I love Dreamy Battles. I've just beaten
the boss battle with Bowser's Troops in the Beach Dream World, and it really was amazingly fun.

I wish this one wasn't so easy :lol:
Really liked it. It's pure Mario, too.

afoni

Banned
Having replayed Bowser's Inside Story not long ago, Dream Team really doesn't strike me as being worse in the tutorial department. Have we forgotten the BIS tutorials right up until the final battle?

I'm in the final battles, and DTB is doing exactly the same damn thing.

Top Bottom